Is There Any Reason Not To Take Minoxidil?

GlobalPropane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would prefer using finasteride but I am unable to get a prescription for it so my only option is minoxidil. Is there anything I should be worried about with minoxidil?

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
Imo no, there is no good reason not to use it, unless it's somehow impossible to commit 45 seconds of your day to applying the stuff to your scalp

Best to use both, finasteride and minoxidil. We have way too few options available not to use them all. Docs giving you a hard time with getting a script?

resu

Reaction score
It costs money and the gains are so-so and you have to keep using forever.

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Only reason I wouldn't use it is if you are a non-responder, as in it isn't even slowing down loss. Should give it a try, but don't get your hopes up too much.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
I use it because I'm a diffuse thinner, but I would prefer not to.

Hair looks brittle and clumps together until I wash the minoxidil out.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Shedding. Im almost 3 weeks in and losing about 200 hairs a day, maybe more. I do think i see some minor regrowth at the temples and hairline but it could just be more miniaturisation .. its worth a go because if you do respond the results could be a real game changer

Jnix

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would prefer using finasteride but I am unable to get a prescription for it so my only option is minoxidil. Is there anything I should be worried about with minoxidil?

Besides it not working? Ha, kidding. I would say that some people get puffy faces and dark circles from it, I did notice some effects on my face. So those things are what I personally know of.

freddieb80

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you talking about using it topically or orally? The biggest thing you have to worry about topically is that the traditional liquid versions contain propylene glycol which can cause dry scalp but the foam version doesn't contain that ingredient but as far as I know only brand name Rogaine comes in a foam version so it'll be more expensive than generic versions. If you're considering taking it orally I'd definitely make sure you're under a doctor's care and have routine visits while you're taking it. Oral minoxidil is still used to lower blood pressure in people with hypertension and so if you have normal blood pressure taking oral minoxidil can lower your blood pressure to the point that you pass out or worse. Also, people who take any type of blood pressure medication also need to take some sort of diuretic (water shedding medication) because lowering of the blood pressure commonly leads to bloating and swelling of the legs. There are some doctors and dermatologists that will prescribe oral minoxidil for hair loss but it typically comes with the stipulation that you see the prescribing practioner frequently (at least every 3 months) and that they can stop filling the prescription if you don't keep your appointments or start exhibiting dangerous side effects from the medication.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you talking about using it topically or orally? The biggest thing you have to worry about topically is that the traditional liquid versions contain propylene glycol which can cause dry scalp but the foam version doesn't contain that ingredient but as far as I know only brand name Rogaine comes in a foam version so it'll be more expensive than generic versions. If you're considering taking it orally I'd definitely make sure you're under a doctor's care and have routine visits while you're taking it. Oral minoxidil is still used to lower blood pressure in people with hypertension and so if you have normal blood pressure taking oral minoxidil can lower your blood pressure to the point that you pass out or worse. Also, people who take any type of blood pressure medication also need to take some sort of diuretic (water shedding medication) because lowering of the blood pressure commonly leads to bloating and swelling of the legs. There are some doctors and dermatologists that will prescribe oral minoxidil for hair loss but it typically comes with the stipulation that you see the prescribing practioner frequently (at least every 3 months) and that they can stop filling the prescription if you don't keep your appointments or start exhibiting dangerous side effects from the medication.
Kirkland minoxidil does the foam. Also, oral definitely has higher chance of sides but at 5mg or 10mg its pretty rare to experience them. Im on 10mg a day no diuretic or beta blocker with no side effects at all :)

itsAlright

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The only side effects I noticed were increased dandruff for the first few weeks, this coincided with the initial shed so it may have just been related to that. It's possible I have slightly darker circles under my eyes but nothing significant.

I had serious results after a couple months, my hair was a lot darker and thicker (both individual strands and density). It was pretty staggering how well it did work, but it faded after 10 months or so, and here at 16 months I'm sure it's still helping but my hair has thinned significantly.

freddieb80

My Regimen
Reaction score
Kirkland minoxidil does the foam. Also, oral definitely has higher chance of sides but at 5mg or 10mg its pretty rare to experience them. Im on 10mg a day no diuretic or beta blocker with no side effects at all :)

Gotcha. I'll have to keep an eye out for the Kirkland brand foam. I've been using the liquid 5% minoxidil now for a little over 2 months and haven't had any scalp irritation or drying so the liquid form is fine for me but I'd rather use something with less ingredients that can potentially start causing side effects. Do you know if there's any data on what mg strength of oral minoxidil is required to have an impact on hair growth? If I could take 5mg and have little to know sides I'd be more likely to take that as opposed to finasteride or dutasteride but only (obviously) if such a low mg dose would have any sort of impact.

myusernamenow

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I definitely noticed a decrease in the quality of the skin on my face. Granted, I am a sloppy applier and a*** about the quality of my skin, but still.

It's really painless to apply and outside of that I noticed nothing.

RS85

My Regimen
Reaction score
1. Possible side effects (not everyone suffers them)
2. Dark circles or in rare cases, even loss of libido
3. Hair dependence - you can never go off it again
4. Your hair my clump together so may not be the look you want

But its pretty much a necessity to maintain hair and imo, its the least invasive and side-effect prone treatment for hair loss management..

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi guys, my first post after a very long break from these forums. Reasons not to use minoxidil are that it is a real pain to apply, it makes your hair greasy, it can cause your face and particularly your eyes to look puffy, it can cause dark under-eye circles, and it has a high rate of non-responders. I'm using it just on my hair line. It is hard to discern the effectiveness of the Minoxidil, because I am also using dutasteride.

whatintheworld

Reaction score
The only side effects I noticed were increased dandruff for the first few weeks, this coincided with the initial shed so it may have just been related to that. It's possible I have slightly darker circles under my eyes but nothing significant.

I had serious results after a couple months, my hair was a lot darker and thicker (both individual strands and density). It was pretty staggering how well it did work, but it faded after 10 months or so, and here at 16 months I'm sure it's still helping but my hair has thinned significantly.

Are you also on finasteride?

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Last time i took minoxidil for at least 3 months i remember weird joint pain in my knee and wrist and it just got worse over time till i stopped taking minoxidil and then it faded gradually

I have heard some say minxodil messes with your collagen production and that what keeps your skin looking young and is also a bit part of bone structure

I have taken minoxidil for 3 days now (again) out of pure desperation and honestly i am questioning continuing because i have had rapid heart beats with mild panic attack, itching and chest aches and something just tells me that this is half poison and half hair therapy that i can't be certain will do anything