Is there any crew cut hair systems out there????????

Darrenboy

Reaction score
I am interested in adding very little amount of hair.....almost like getting a crew cut.......is there such a thing where you can get a crew cut hair piece?????????????

Darrenboy

Reaction score
Where did you get it done?????

Awsom hair piece...............Where did you get it done????????

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
I did it myself. I bought the hair from an online company, did the cut myself with a vacuum cutter (Robocut) and thats all. I spent less than 400 dollars on it, including the cutter.
All you need to do is learn how to put it on, as this is very thin and sort of fragile.

marven

Reaction score
WOW!

MichiganBaldy said:
Yes I have worn mine very, very short.

http://community.webshots.com/user/jadenkrosis

There are 3 different albums to look through. I am bald on top and front without my rug, wig, toupee. And frankly my dear, since I can get it to look like this I dont give a dam!

:eek:

Is that really you??? If so, how do you get yours looking like that! A detailed explaination would be nice...I guess you need a special hair system that does last long, also do you use glue, not tape? I found glue did not stick properly or last...do you use the glue at home by yourself and I am VERY interested on how you did this at home and cut your hair - please HELP! My biggest problem is that I feel dependant on the places that charge a BUNCH of money...I mean I found some online wig places but I just moved to the US from CANADA and my biggest problem was finding some place to get my hair cut....

Thx
Marven

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont know of anyplace that sells it already cut in a crewcut.
Some suppliers will cut a certain style and send it to you, but I dont think they`ll do a crew cut.
You may want to find a trustworthy local barber who is willing to experiment with with you, or you may want to do it yourself.
I do all my own haircuts, and it is easy to do.
I can send you some more pics if you`d like.

Darrenboy

Reaction score
Yes please send some more pics..Can you also send a pic of yourself without the hair system. I am very curious.. Thanks

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Marven, I get it to look like that by doing it myself. No stylists out there have the balls to even attempt to make a hairpiece look that real, which is why I`m tired of them. Only places like Farrell will try it, but they cost a fortune for their hair.
I bought the hair online from toplace.com. I`ve also bought from some others that were pretty good too, but that particular one is a toplace.

I take the guard off my beard trimmer and buzz the hairs, what little there is of them, off the top. I clean it with alcohol.
Then, I put a waterproof adhesive (UltraHold) on the perimeter of my scalp, very thin layer. I put another single strip down the center from front to back. This way it wont come off at 70 miles an hour on a bike.
Since it is all lace, and paper thin it is very floppy, and seems fragile but it isnt.
I put it on by first finding the very front and center of my scalp, and lining that up with the front and center of the wig. I then apply the base and tack it down with my finger, in just a small area in the very front, about the size of a quarter.
Then, in small increments, I take the base of the wig with my fingers, stretch it out so theres no folds, and tack it down so that its skin tight.
I keep doing this all the way across the front, then part ways down the sides. When I get to the back, I take the entire back area stretch it, and press it in place.
I cut it myself using a vacuum cutter called the Robocut. You can buy them online Robocut.com, thats where I got mine.

marven

Reaction score

Thx for replying to my post and the detailed the description. So you would recommend the lace system? When I looked at at the place I bought my recent "system" I thought it was much too thin and fragile so I bought skin type that last a year. I guess that's how the thin lace looks so real. My biggest issue is the "hard" hairline in the front..drives me crazy, so I keep my hair down a bit, but I've always wanted to put it back off my face ....a few more questions if you wouldnt mind... :roll:

1. How long does the glue last? Does it itch and does it really hold that well? I use the blue tape and that is REALLY sticky.
2. Do you just use glue and no tape?
3. When using the robocut I guess your hair is the same length all the way around?
4. How long does your "system" last before you have to buy a new one?
5. What shampoo do you use? I use Pantane and Aussi - I'm kinda feeling like using the "expensive" shampoos are a gimmick. While I dont mind paying for good products we spend so much on upkeep that where I can economize I do...but I would pay for better products if I knew 4 sure they worked.

BTW I love your signature...it made me laugh for a long time, b/c I always ask my wife that! :hairy:

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes those thick skin type systems can last a long time. I dont know about a whole year and still look good at the end of that year though.
The idea is to get one thats thin, with thin density of hairs so that it looks real and not like a wig.
Which means it wont last as long, so you need to get them at the least cost as possible so you can do this.
I use glue only, as tape has too much shine and its not as thin as a thin coat of glue.
My bond will go for 2 weeks but I change it every week to keep everything clean and sanitary. Since I use a lace base, wehn I shampoo the scalp will get cleaned pretty good, but you should still change it out at least every week.
The length of my hair is the same where my own hair meets with the hairpiece hair, and my own hair is a bit shorter below the hairpiece, and a bit longer above it. In the pics I posted, my own hair is about 1/8th inch length going up to almost 1/4 inch on the sides, then just under a half inch on the top.
I buy my systems/wigs/rugs 2 at a time, and they last me 3-4 months depending on the time of year. Summer is harder on them.
I use Mastey shampoo for my hair it is very good for the hair and it has no harsh chemicals I buy it online
http://www.mastey.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=4
I use the Traite shampoo. I currently use Tea Tree conditioner b/c I bought some online for cheap, but when that big bottle is empty I`m not using it anymore it has harsh chems in it.
I shampoo the hair, then spray in something called Nearly Natural before using the condidtioner. This spray will mix with any condidtioner and help it work alot better.
I buy it online too http://www.softhairsolutions.com/hairsoft_004.htm
Very good for the hairpiece hairs. If you have human or Remi hairs and not synthetic, that is.....

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
MichiganBaldy said:
Yes those thick skin type systems can last a long time. I dont know about a whole year and still look good at the end of that year though.
The idea is to get one thats thin, with thin density of hairs so that it looks real and not like a wig.

Michigan Baldy tells the truth... You want a long lasting Unit? Then your going to get one that has too thick of a base and is too thick in hair density. You can't have long lasting AND natural looking.... There needs to be skin showing thru the hair and you need a nice thin density in the front. And guess what, the front will loose hair first and then poof, you need a new one.

One of the things about Michagan Baldy's unit that makes it more natural is he cuts the base to have a realistic natural receding hairline. YOU MUST have a age appropriate hairline or you'l fool no one. I get many a client that demands his unit be lower in the front than his hair line ever was.... One such client when I informed him he was looking "Un-Natural", turned to me and said "If I wanted to look "Natural" I woundn't need you"

MichiganBaldy

Established Member
Reaction score
Um...I didnt have to cut the base, I ordered it that way when I made my template.

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
opps my mistake.... I had neglected to read that you had made a template and were ordering custom.

There are several vers1ons of stock lace units which we or you, can cut down (Customize) for the customer who is not willing to wait for a full custom. Stock units can work well if you don't have a lot of variation of grey patterns and happen to match up with one of the 42 or more stock colors available. We do a plaster caste of the head when we do a Custom unit, most do a Tape template which works OK with lace and other flexiable bases. Weird head shapes or baldness patterns, I feel deserve a Plaster Caste. This also furnish's us with a Foam Mold of the head on which we can make future changes as they are needed.

If you deside to not go thru a salon or proffessional and your new at ordering your own system you might want to try working with a stock unit first to get the hang of what your dealer is offering. You want a unit that is a light density or a med to light density at the most. 90% of what I order is in that range. Medium Density is normaly too heavy unless you looking for the rug look or are in your early 20's and trying to achieve a Rock Star Look.

Stock units are extremely well made and unless you know what your doing, I would suggest them. It's like telling Ford to Stop the assembly line and make a car YOUR way. Stock units can also be delivered to you quickly where as a Custom will normaly take 6 to 8 weeks for construction and delivery. Anyone who says they can deliver a Custom unit to you in less than 3 weeks is fibbing and is most likely CUSTOMISING a Stock unit.

Again I will repeat ... The Cut in of the unit is one of the most important aspects of the whole operation. For some reason there are very few proffessionals that do a good job with this and most of them seem to be afraid to cut a unit down short like Michigan Baldy does. Hell, if he comes to Seattle I may even offer him a job or at least a drink/toke and long conversation.

CzEchsMiX86

My Regimen
Reaction score
MichiganBaldy, would you mind sending these photos of your short hair System if you still have them?

Toupmast, where have you gone for cut ins in the Seattle area? I'm about to move there for a job and get fitted for my first system.

Pretty nervous since my scalp is damaged from a hair transplant, so once I do this I'm pretty much committed for life...

Noah

Reaction score
These posts are over a decade old - I haven't seen either of these posters on here for years.

You can get very short hair systems - William Shatner's current unit is a good example - but they take a lot more work. They have to be a perfect fit and to be perfectly positioned, and any little flaw, like a wrinkle in the attachment or a bit of shedding on the piece, will be apparent. Also you have to have very regular haircuts, as your natural hair grows out but the piece hair doesn't. Personally I wouldn't advise you to aim for this if you are a newbie - you will be setting yourself up for frustration and disappointment. You have to accept that these things are prosthetics; they can look very good, but you can't do all the things you could do with your natural hair when you had it. Make your life easier - work with the product.