Is there a link between hair loss and homosexuality?

KeyserSoze

Reaction score
I appreciate the replies. I wanted to respond to two of them...

optimus prime,
Thanks, I'm glad someone else has noticed it too. And I think your analysis as to why this might be the case is on the mark.

Primex,
What you said makes sense. I don't know much about the gay community except what I see in the media and, yes, the image you describe is one that is often shown. Sounds like this is not a particularly representative image, but it is one of the images that was in my mind when I was prompted to ask this question in the first place.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
i'll probably get shot down but i must say that i have seen many homosexual men with receded hairlines/temples

of course this is just anecdotal but its something ive noticed,its a possibility that there is something in the estrogen theory but until we see actual scientific data ,we wont know.

Cassin

Reaction score
Let me add in my observations.

I live in Dallas which regardless of the silly stereotype of Cowboys and the like has one of the largest gay communities on the planet. There is an entire section of the city that has turned a gay area. It's own little city.

So ...let me tell ya...they have more hair than regular men because they use treatments...

without treatments they have the same amount of hair loss.

so...move on...

Everyone has their own stereotypes of people who haven't any hair loss.

gays...asians...idians...blacks ...whites...straights...canadiens...euros...russians...homesless...

they are all over this forum...

mikemass

Reaction score
As another gay guy I feel like I need to respond too. I can't say that I've noticed much more hair loss among gay men as a whole. Of my friends (not a scientific sample, mind you), I am the only one experiencing any significant hair loss. I'm 37 by the way, so I guess I might qualify as one of those 'old gay guys' by Primex's standards. :) But I can tell you that hair loss bugs me just as much as the rest of you.

I would also add that a number of gay men are attracted to masculine guys. To some people a shaved or bald head evokes masculinity more so than flowing boyish locks (though the latter have their fans too). So some guys may go for that look to project/attract a masculine image. Also, a number of gay guys tend to be pretty religious about working out, which may indirectly accelerate hair loss by raising testosterone and DHT. Or it could simply be in fashion among the visible gay community to shave your head. Just theories though...

I'm not much of an expert either, but I do agree that the images we all see of gay men tend to be skewed toward stereotypes. Though it does seem to be getting better these days.

Mike

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Hey Mikemass.

It seems to me as an outside objective observer there seems to be two schools of gay men. One is the hyper masculine one you mentioned, i know many gay guys who into lifting weights and awesome bodies. You can also observe these men at the the gay mardi gras dancing with their tops off. The second school of gay man seems to be the pretty boy feminine look, so pretty they almost look like a girl, usually they have higher pitched voices and have that sterotypical voice. One famous example i can think of is that guy from Queer Eye for the Straight guy Carson or whatever his name is (although he is not pretty, he certainly tries to be and is VERY feminine). So in the gay community is it common for the masculine gay man to go for the feminie gay men? Almost making like a male, female style relationship? Because ive often noticed lezbians do this a lot. One of the females is butch ugly looks like a dude! Then there girlfriend is hot and feminine. Can you shed some light on this?

KeyserSoze

Reaction score
In the "bear" community (which is quite large here in Southern California), baldness is almost universal -- and not just a shaved head, mind you, but pronounced male pattern baldness. This accompanies a significant amount of body hair and an endomorphic body type. I can't understand why more research hasn't been done into a possible hormonal connection. Maybe because it's too controversial?

s.a.f

Reaction score
Wow you guys seem to know alot about this .... :whistle:

mikemass

Reaction score
Hi metalheaddude,

Again, I'm not an expert, but I don't think there's much of a butch/femme pairing dynamic in the gay male world. At least not that I've observed. Certainly everyone has their own tastes, which can include either masculine type guys or guys who tend to be more effeminate. But I haven't seen a strong pattern.

There can also be a subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) prejudice against more effeminate guys, even within the gay community. They're often seen as less desirable, at least if the m4m craigslist ads are to be believed. Those ads often stress masculinity and many guys even say they are straight. For them, it's important that their partners/hookups/boyfriends 'pass' for straight.

Speaking for myself, I tend to go for masculine guys. Muscles, facial hair, it's all good. I also find hot bald guys very attractive (I'm just not always convinced that I'll be one of them when my hair loss advances). But I don't feel as though I harbor any prejudice or ill will toward more effeminate guys.

Mike

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Thanks mikemass, I appreciate the response. I agree there is no strong pattern. Everyone has there own tastes.

s.a.f said:
Wow you guys seem to know alot about this .... :whistle:

Common SAF we both know you're curious about this subject. Come out of the closet already :gay:

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My opinion:

The shittier you look, the more chances you will go to sex/relationships you'd otherwise not go for.

Also, the shittier you look, the more chances of you getting hit on by gays because they don't want to be rejected because their sex is still taboo in most places.

So you'll prolly see a lot of bald guys as couples because of what I just said. Just my opinion.

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
Follically Challenged said:
My opinion:

The shittier you look, the more chances you will go to sex/relationships you'd otherwise not go for.

Also, the shittier you look, the more chances of you getting hit on by gays because they don't want to be rejected because their sex is still taboo in most places.

So you'll prolly see a lot of bald guys as couples because of what I just said. Just my opinion.

Also the earth is flat and I have a hook for a hand. Babies have a secret language and the ghostbusters movie was non-fiction. Since I have hairloss I'm going to have sex with a man even though I'm straight. If I look like sh*t gay guys will hit on me because they're blind retards with no sense of self and they apparently have no standards because their sexuality is taboo. So prolly probably prolly probably bald gay guys are out there hopping around attaching themselves to each other because they realize that no one else in our normal hair having society will have them. Just my opinion and now I have a nosebleed.

Follically Challenged

Experienced Member
Reaction score
PersonGuy said:
My opinion:

Also the earth is flat and I have a hook for a hand. Babies have a secret language and the ghostbusters movie was non-fiction. Since I have hairloss I'm going to have sex with a man even though I'm straight. If I look like $#iT gay guys will hit on me because they're blind retards with no sense of self and they apparently have no standards because their sexuality is taboo. So prolly probably prolly probably bald gay guys are out there hopping around attaching themselves to each other because they realize that no one else in our normal hair having society will have them. Just my opinion and now I have a nosebleed.

who is 100% straight? i'm guessing very few people are. and you are trying to paint me as the medieval buffoon?

Deany

Reaction score
KeyserSoze, I don't know where you've been hanging out or who you've been hanging with to have a perceptual link between the two. I've noticed that about 50% of men that I see on the street and in everyday life have male pattern baldness, but in terms of homosexuality, there is no link at all, about half of gay men, typically, would have male pattern baldness. There is somewhat of a link between Propecia and homosexuality based on the drug raising estrogen levels significantly in some men, but just homosexuality and male pattern baldness is erroneous with no link whatsoever.

metalheaddude

Reaction score
Deany said:
KeyserSoze, I don't know where you've been hanging out or who you've been hanging with to have a perceptual link between the two. I've noticed that about 50% of men that I see on the street and in everyday life have male pattern baldness, but in terms of homosexuality, there is no link at all, about half of gay men, typically, would have male pattern baldness. There is somewhat of a link between Propecia and homosexuality based on the drug raising estrogen levels significantly in some men, but just homosexuality and male pattern baldness is erroneous with no link whatsoever.

This is true. Practically every guy 20+ i walk by i can detect some form of thinning. Gotta be at least 60-70% of men you walk past have male pattern baldness, even if its only minor.

s.a.f

Reaction score
Big difference between a bit of thinning and full m.p.b (going bald). If all I had was a bit of thinning I would'nt even be on this site.

mikemass

Reaction score
Guys,

Just to set the records straight (so to speak), I totally disagree with the idea that balding guys somehow turn gay out of lack of options. That's just ridiculous on the face of it. Also, we gay guys have plenty of standards about our own and other mens' looks. It's foolish to think the gay world is some kind of refuge for unattractive men.

Also, on the other point about there being a link between Propecia and homosexuality, that's the first I've heard of it. Where did that info come from? BTW, I don't think gay men have more estrogen in their bodies than other men if that's the basis for it.

Mike

KeyserSoze

Reaction score
> KeyserSoze, I don't know where you've been hanging out or who you've
> been hanging with to have a perceptual link between the two.

Go to a site with pictures from any Pride parade and you'll see what I mean. There are FAR more bald heads on display than you will find in the average population. And I'm not talking about men with full heads of hair who buzzcut, but men with serious male pattern baldness (Norwood Scale 4 and above).

Furthermore, while I don't really believe that being bald causes one to turn gay because of lack of positive response from females, I DO think there might be something to the theory that the display of one's bald head sends a signal that one is not trying to attract women (I seem to get much more :ididit: from gay men when I show my baldness than when I cover it up... as though the belief is bald=gay).

s.a.f

Reaction score
Sometimes I think there's a link between hairloss and talking sh*t :roll:

PersonGuy

Established Member
Reaction score
PersonGuy said:
[quote="Follically Challenged":347skmfu]My opinion:

Also the earth is flat and I have a hook for a hand. Babies have a secret language and the ghostbusters movie was non-fiction. Since I have hairloss I'm going to have sex with a man even though I'm straight. If I look like $#iT gay guys will hit on me because they're blind retards with no sense of self and they apparently have no standards because their sexuality is taboo. So prolly probably prolly probably bald gay guys are out there hopping around attaching themselves to each other because they realize that no one else in our normal hair having society will have them. Just my opinion and now I have a nosebleed.

who is 100% straight? i'm guessing very few people are. and you are trying to paint me as the medieval buffoon?[/quote:347skmfu]

your mother wears combat boots