Is That A New Technique Or Just A Regular "wig"

BaldNBrown

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi, there's a new trend, popular specialy in the african american community. I was wondering if its simply a regular hair replacement unit (cut very short) or its a new a way to stick hair on scalp?

See attarched photos to see some exemples.

Thank you

IMG_3770.jpg
IMG_3771.jpg
IMG_3773.jpg
IMG_3774.jpg

Noah

Reaction score
Yeah, it's just a fine lace system cut very short. There is no other technique capable of giving this result.

You could debate whether modern lace systems could really sensibly be described as "just a regular wig" though. I would argue that the technology has moved on to the point where they are really something different from what people think of as a "wig".

BaldNBrown

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, it's just a fine lace system cut very short. There is no other technique capable of giving this result.

You could debate whether modern lace systems could really sensibly be described as "just a regular wig" though. I would argue that the technology has moved on to the point where they are really something different from what people think of as a "wig".

Ok thank you for the reply! Sorry for the term "Wig" I just wanted to get some attention. lol As you can see in my post I said Hair replacement unit which I think is the proper term. Are you 100% sure about the fine lace tho? I saw a video where they seem to glue some piece of hair one by one. Well I could be wrong!

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a very hard time believing that's a lace wig. You can usually see the lace, and/or the knots if you go down that low. I might believe it's a very precision made V-loop thin skin, but even that's hard to believe.

Simply I don't know how they did this.

o_O

Are we sure it's not fake? ie. Photoshopped?

Where did this come from?

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Found some videos on this voodoo.

Still can't figure it out. Wonder if it is truly just a lace wig if the black style hair (coarse, curly) is just hiding the lace & knots well. Or again, it this is thin skin v-loop.

Flawless results. Very impressive either way.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
Holy sh*t the answer was in the second video at around 5:43

They're gluing these weird pre-prepared "snakes" (not sure what else to call them) of hair directly to the scalp!

This is mindblowing. Killer option for black guys.

Probably costly to maintain as you probably need it every week or two, but it's absolutely flawless.

Amazing. How did we not know this was happening?

That's a revolutionary approach for hair replacement.

If I was black I would do this in a heartbeat.

This is one of the coolest things I've seen about hair replacement in a long time.

voodoo.PNG

Noah

Reaction score
The first video describes itself as "custom hair unit", which is just another way of saying hair system or hairpiece, so that answers the question for it.

You can get some extremely fine lace and skin bases now, so I think you could do the hairstyles even in those initial photos with hairpieces, but I dont think they would be practical for everyday wear - too fragile and difficult to put on and off. But I don't think the photos are necessarily photoshopped - probably very fine injected skin hairpieces. As an example of what a good hairpiece technician using the most undetectable materials can do at a point in time in a posed photography session, I think they are probably genuine.

The first video is certainly very doable for daily wear with an ordinary lace piece.

The weird string assembly method seems nonsensical to me. You certainly couldn't do the styles in the initial photographs using that technique - all the hairs would be pointing in random directions. I can't think why anyone would do this instead of using a hairpiece - it's kinda like constructing your own hairpiece in situ.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
The weird string assembly method seems nonsensical to me. You certainly couldn't do the styles in the initial photographs using that technique - all the hairs would be pointing in random directions. I can't think why anyone would do this instead of using a hairpiece - it's kinda like constructing your own hairpiece in situ.

I think that's the point. Since there's no base, and no lace, it creates an absolutely perfect result even buzzed right now. This is only possible with black hair because of its curl and wave.

It's an ingenious solution that takes advantage of what have traditionally been challenges for black hair styling.

I've played with injected PU bases/wigs and lace wigs and neither can give that kind of result without frauding. The base is always a problem.

See how in the second video I posted, at 4:42, he's using a TRIMMER to EDGE THE FRONT HAIRLINE.

You simply can't do that in a traditional hairpiece, because you'd be trimming into the base and exposing more base.

This is why it looks so good in the end. There's nothing there but hair, glue and scalp, and the glue is invisible after it dries (at least initially - can't say how well this holds up over time).

For black guys, if money isn't an issue, this is a game changer and a perfect final solution if the meds fail.

BaldNBrown

My Regimen
Reaction score
@IdealForehead

You're a real investigator! Took me a while to find these videos lol In the 2nd video you posted, this technique is not the same as the pictures I posted. To be honest the result is not that great. After furter investigation and messaging some people on Instagram. Its seem to be a customize hair piece. But the thing is its only a 1h30 procedure and you dont need any measurement appointments... I dont think a custom fine lace could be made in that short period of time! Wade The Barber seem to be the pioneer for this technique. You can check him out on Instagram or youtube.

IdealForehead

My Regimen
Reaction score
@IdealForehead

You're a real investigator! Took me a while to find these videos lol In the 2nd video you posted, this technique is not the same as the pictures I posted. To be honest the result is not that great. After furter investigation and messaging some people on Instagram. Its seem to be a customize hair piece. But the thing is its only a 1h30 procedure and you dont need any measurement appointments... I dont think a custom fine lace could be made in that short period of time! Wade The Barber seem to be the pioneer for this technique. You can check him out on Instagram or youtube.

Not sure what you mean. The second video is people PRACTICING on dummy heads.

The guy at the start they demo on has a fantastic outcome. He looks 20 years younger.

This is the technique you're looking for. That's why you don't need any measurements and it takes 90 minutes to do.