Is Taking Propecia a Sign of Vanity?

TheEscapist

Established Member
Reaction score
From a philosophical standpoint, does taking Propecia make you less morally right? Does it represent that you are slave to your appearances?

A singular act that could cure baldness would be different, because you wouldn't be spending time every day to take care and nurture this one psychological weakness of yours. Does that make you less of a man, or more shallow a man?

When you see television or movie or novel characters that you envy, you never see them do things that involve surrendering to their vanity. They don't spend time to style their hair or where nice clothes, they just already are by the time you start following/watching them. This leaving out of vain acts makes you like the character more because they are ideal in the sense that they look superior without the cost of being morally inferior (vain). They have hair without taking a drug every day.

Does anyone feel that they are, in a sense, signing a contract with their own vanity when they pursue methods to treat hair loss? Its like, choosing to allow your vanity to thrive, because you never came to terms with your appearance.

Sorry to sound retarded, I'm not really taking the proper time to choose my words with much grace. Hopefully my point comes across.

I just hate seeing characters on TV that have hair, because you watch them and see them be heroic, or morally good, and you wonder how a character like that would go home after saving the world and quick down their daily Propecia. You know? If any of us were in a zombie apocalypse, or saving the world, or trying to do something good and important that might take us from our comfort zones (home, hotel room, etc.) for awhile, would any of you seriously make sure you pack your Propecia?

This doesn't necessarily have to be Propecia only by the way, it could be any daily regiment treatment.

slipy

Reaction score
one's own personal vanity is only one of the aspects, another thing that's just as important if not more is social belonging.
some young people strive to be rebellious and nonconformist (which i admit to also being guilty of), but actually being a deformed outcast is whole another matter.
although im sure some would object, there's no denying that a bald man will be treated differently (read worse) than his hair counterpart. a bald guy could even do an experiment involving interaction with people with the cover of hair piece and without, which would confirm this.

reflecting on this harsh social belonging/acceptance aspect, i don't think your statement about morality is correct. and to me personally this facet completely justifies the use of treatments.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Is a guy taking protein powder every month and going to the gym everyday to maintain or get more muscle surrendering to vanity? Its exactly the same thing.

BlackSheep

Established Member
Reaction score
Taking propecia and these other medications don't really have a beneficial effect on the physiological health of an individual. Weightlifting and having a protein-rich diet OTOH is if done correctly.

Both certainly play into the whole aesthetics realm, but then again, if we do base the discussion on health, surely propecia is "healthy" for those who (for whatever reason) are not psychologically equipped to handle the hair loss?

It's one of those things that varies by individual. Same thing goes with the protein. Some people get awful gassy after a shake or two.

cbtrc

Reaction score
Jesus Christ, you guys are crazy. Aren't you sick of portraying Propecia as some insane extraterrestrial drug that will make your genitals fall off and turn into you a walking vegetable? This is just too far, couldn't resist.... I'd like to give you one advice- take the drug and don't think about it. Just take it and that's it. Don't turn it into a biggest drama of your life. My post doesn't apply to the OP only, but to all others bragging about Finasteride. Most of you haven't even started taking finasteride yet, and are already getting side effect called paranoia.

savemyhair

Reaction score
My favorite side effect of finasteride is that I don't worry about what's happening to my hair all the time. Peace of mind.

TheEscapist

Established Member
Reaction score
I think going to the gym is similar, but not the same. Yes we mostly do it for vanity, and yes you must keep doing it for as long as you want the results. But, its also good for you, and entirely doable even without the gym (or in Propecias case, a pill).

I envy savemyhair, if you do get peace of mind from it. I wish I could take it, notice no sides, and just revel in my hair. But for me its harder to do that, because every time I take the pill every morning, five news articles, some study I read the last night, and a forum posters rant about permanent nerve damage all run through my head as I take the pill out.

So, if I were to begin it, I would need to get my head where yours is at, and forget about the chaotic internet back-and-forths. But to do that, id have to deny meritful and legitimate concerns of many people, and for me that's just very difficult.

I truly am glad you can have that peace of mind though. Its nice to hear positive things about it, rather than more and more "altered gene expression" this, and "permanent cognitive impairment" that.
I wish you well.

abcdefg

Reaction score
Yeah but I was referring to going to gym and protein supplement type things as surrendering to vanity as your kind of in a sense becoming a slave to your appearance. I was not really comparing the health aspects of them or anything like that. Just saying in some ways they are similar in terms of maintaining appearances through routine for vanity

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
My favorite side effect of finasteride is that I don't worry about what's happening to my hair all the time. Peace of mind.

I COMPLETELY agree. For almost 2 years when I was losing my hair, I was obsessed with it. I would make any excuse I could to go to the washroom to fix my hair and make it look as good as possible. It took me half an hour to get my hair right in the morning. I was constantly thinking and worrying about it. I would never sit where someone could walk up and see the top of my head. I was always paranoid bending over where people could see my hair. I hated getting pictures taken because flashes made my hair look even worse. It affected my confidence so much.

It's not about vanity. It's about feeling confident about your looks. No matter how much it sucks, it's important to look good in our society.

The first finasteride pill I popped, I felt an immediate sense of relief that hasn't gone away. I don't ever worry about my hair anymore.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I have one word to sum it all up: Insecurity Propecia buys us security. Many of our actions in life are based on insecurity and wanting to CONTROL to feel more secure and more powerful.

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I think going to the gym is similar, but not the same. Yes we mostly do it for vanity, and yes you must keep doing it for as long as you want the results. But, its also good for you, and entirely doable even without the gym (or in Propecias case, a pill).

I envy savemyhair, if you do get peace of mind from it. I wish I could take it, notice no sides, and just revel in my hair. But for me its harder to do that, because every time I take the pill every morning, five news articles, some study I read the last night, and a forum posters rant about permanent nerve damage all run through my head as I take the pill out.

So, if I were to begin it, I would need to get my head where yours is at, and forget about the chaotic internet back-and-forths. But to do that, id have to deny meritful and legitimate concerns of many people, and for me that's just very difficult.

I truly am glad you can have that peace of mind though. Its nice to hear positive things about it, rather than more and more "altered gene expression" this, and "permanent cognitive impairment" that.
I wish you well.

then don't read all the unfounded scare stories. I read a quote by Dr. Rassman of Baldingblog who said he was contacted by some media outlet who wanted to speak to men who take Propecia - but they only wanted to talk to the guys who had had negative side effects. That should tell you all you need to know about trusting the media.

I've been taking Propecia for 5 years and for most of that time I haven't been browsing or posting on these forums and I revelled in my hair. Now I am, and all of a sudden doubts about finasteride's safety keep bothering me - so I keep having to tell myself to keep it in perspective. I really should leave this board :doh:

wangho75

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Life's too short to care about how you may be perceived. After all, everyone else is just as guilty with their own little self-perceptions. Nothing like this really matters. You want to look good? So be it, you arent hurting anybody and you are making yourself happier with your self-image.

From a philosophical standpoint, does taking Propecia make you less morally right? Does it represent that you are slave to your appearances?

A singular act that could cure baldness would be different, because you wouldn't be spending time every day to take care and nurture this one psychological weakness of yours. Does that make you less of a man, or more shallow a man?

When you see television or movie or novel characters that you envy, you never see them do things that involve surrendering to their vanity. They don't spend time to style their hair or where nice clothes, they just already are by the time you start following/watching them. This leaving out of vain acts makes you like the character more because they are ideal in the sense that they look superior without the cost of being morally inferior (vain). They have hair without taking a drug every day.

Does anyone feel that they are, in a sense, signing a contract with their own vanity when they pursue methods to treat hair loss? Its like, choosing to allow your vanity to thrive, because you never came to terms with your appearance.

Sorry to sound retarded, I'm not really taking the proper time to choose my words with much grace. Hopefully my point comes across.

I just hate seeing characters on TV that have hair, because you watch them and see them be heroic, or morally good, and you wonder how a character like that would go home after saving the world and quick down their daily Propecia. You know? If any of us were in a zombie apocalypse, or saving the world, or trying to do something good and important that might take us from our comfort zones (home, hotel room, etc.) for awhile, would any of you seriously make sure you pack your Propecia?

This doesn't necessarily have to be Propecia only by the way, it could be any daily regiment treatment.

abcdefg

Reaction score
In a sense trying to fight aging is a losing battle you will never win it whether its wrinkles, hair, or whatever else it happens to us all.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Even if it is vanity, so what? If it makes you happy and it's not harming anyone then go for it :)

struggle

Reaction score
In a sense trying to fight aging is a losing battle you will never win it whether its wrinkles, hair, or whatever else it happens to us all.

This 48 year old man could pull more pussy than most people on this forum, if it wasn't for his hair he would be ****ed.

557px-JohnStamosHWoFFeb2012.jpg

abcdefg

Reaction score
Oh yeah that is actually true but honestly he is 48 with a Norwood 0 almost hair so yeah he looks really young and good for his age. The fact Norwood 0 at that age is so rare is what make him look so good for his age. Sometimes I think hair is actually as important as some men make it out to be I mean it really makes a big difference even small changes in density that other people can notice. Take away his hair or give him a Norwood 2 - 3 and he looks a lot more like 48 again like most men his age.