Is Shorter On The Sides An Obvious 'systemy' Sign?

Noah

Reaction score
I don't think so HLNM. Actually the opposite - people associate men's hairpieces with conservative styles where the system hair is carefully feathered into the ring of biohair. The average person subconsciously assumes you could not create the sort of undercut style you are describing, where the sides are close-cropped and the hair on top left longer, with a system, because the base would show. They are not aware of the lightweight imperceptible lace and skin bases we can get nowadays. It's actually a great style for a system wearer, because the close-cropped sides hide any thinness in your sidehair (which is why I use a style like this), and the switch of textures from the long top hair to the cropped sides hides any imperfect colour match.

Having said that, I personally prefer to leave a bit of hair on the sides, rather than taking it right down to the skin.

Noah

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
I am seeing more and more hair system wearers going for a disconnected style because it's easier, and less expensive to maintain the look. But it's not an uncommon look for guys without systems.

I will say that here, in Israel, the fade is king! Most guys that have hair that is at all styled are wearing fades that require a ton of maintenance.

Especially since barbershops have re-opened, super-high, bald fades are very very common, again. That being said, it doesn't mean you have to do what everyone else is doing. My clients have all gone with some sort of undercut style, and they still look modern, and not wiggy at all.

Braf

My Regimen
Reaction score
When you go short on the sides like an undercut you need to use gel to hold down the hair from your system to the sides if your head. or else the hair will pop up and give away your system.

Ive already seen it done. smart trick

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
When you go short on the sides like an undercut you need to use gel to hold down the hair from your system to the sides if your head. or else the hair will pop up and give away your system.

Ive already seen it done. smart trick

None of my clients use gel... a proper haircut does the trick.

new2this

My Regimen
Reaction score
In my personal experience, yes, that can be a giveaway. Not that anyone has called me out for wearing a piece, but I did have someone comment on my "John Travolta" haircut after a few weeks with my first ever system, referring to the pulp fiction-style look with sides that were too long for the top. A bit ironic, given that Travolta is a notorious wearer (within this community at least), but it still probably wouldn't be a giveaway to the average person.

With my second system, I asked for a closer crop, and the results were very bad in my opinion, especially with the back. Unfortunately, I don't have a picture handy. But in my opinion, the hair on the edges of the hair system must be left longer, no matter how short you go on your own sides. If the color match is good, it will look natural. I employed this for my latest system and the maintenance has been very easy. I cut my own side hair with a 4-5-6 clipper blend in about 5 minutes. Im not super careful with it, so sometimes it looks better than others, but at worst, it looks fine after a few days, even with the color of the system being slightly lighter than my own side hair.

I have some pics for reference. PM me if you are interested!

Last edited:

Fanjeera

Reaction score
So what kind of hairstyles are bad for hair systems and would make people suspicious?

Braf

My Regimen
Reaction score
None of my clients use gel... a proper haircut does the trick.

A proper haircut does not do the trick.

Ive seen your own hair system. You have not even solved the issue for your own hair system.

You're wise with knowledge on systems but this is incorrect my friend.

The sides of your hair system will always stick up naturally. That comes with wearing.

Use water and product to keep the sides down people

Also keep the sides of your system longer to add weight helps.

Braf

My Regimen
Reaction score
So what kind of hairstyles are bad for hair systems and would make people suspicious?

Its not about the style.

There is a ton of work and knowledge to be learned.

You need to learn what makes a system realistic.

You can never be too picky on how a system looks.

You should start out with a long shaggy fringe with a #2 taper on the sides.

This is your answer. Now get started and learn on the fly like everyone else.

Attachments

• 8F2A9747-D515-458B-82BE-9E31CA08D573.png
    8F2A9747-D515-458B-82BE-9E31CA08D573.png
    384.6 KB · Views: 325
  • 7D015CB4-57A1-4C43-93B3-4AACE800114A.png
    7D015CB4-57A1-4C43-93B3-4AACE800114A.png
    489.9 KB · Views: 338
  • 0FE02631-D893-444F-BD6E-393A16801D62.png
    0FE02631-D893-444F-BD6E-393A16801D62.png
    433.8 KB · Views: 328

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Its not about the style.

There is a ton of work and knowledge to be learned.

You need to learn what makes a system realistic.

You can never be too picky on how a system looks.

You should start out with a long shaggy fringe with a #2 taper on the sides.

This is your answer. Now get started and learn on the fly like everyone else.
Right now I've got quite long hair all over and I trying to create a fringe that would suit my square face. Not too easy. Also thinking about losing the parting. But I'm afraid that all would lead to a little bit wiggy look. Just lots of all the same length hair. Does a parting add realism?

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Right now I've got quite long hair all over and I trying to create a fringe that would suit my square face. Not too easy. Also thinking about losing the parting. But I'm afraid that all would lead to a little bit wiggy look. Just lots of all the same length hair. Does a parting add realism?

PM me, we can talk style options!

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most people won't realize you have on a system. It could just look like a terrible haircut, or having a bad hair day. However, you don't go through all of this to look like crap.

None of this should be news to anyone on here, but I will list these things to be careful about.

1. Make sure your color matches your bio hair.

2. Make sure the density is correct for your own bio hair, age, etc. When it doubt, go lighter!

3. Choose a style that fits your age, lifestyle, etc. And please make it a modern one. A good haircut can cover up a host of other problems.

4. Above, with an emphasis on something that can completely or partially cover your hairline if you have experienced lifting issues in the past, or think you might (greasy, oily skin, perspire heavily, do a lot of sport, etc).

5. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. A hair system is something you can't leave and forget. You want to look good, consistently!

I have an example of something that might not look so bad, but could be better, this is from a new YouTube channel by Jake Kent.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwwi1KV00ZDAwxGGuy7HPgg

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 13.45.16.jpg

In this first pic, the system looks, to me, to be way too dense, and the hair is sticking up, it's not a flattering haircut, and the blend is a tad off..

Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 13.46.59.jpg

In the second pic the blend is perfect, and the style is more relaxed, and more natural.

I would never think he was wearing a system in the bottom pic had I seen him walking down the street, first pic... I would say wig.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 13.45.16.jpg
    Screen Shot 2020-05-28 at 13.45.16.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 195

Braf

My Regimen
Reaction score
Most people won't realize you have on a system. It could just look like a terrible haircut, or having a bad hair day. However, you don't go through all of this to look like crap.

None of this should be news to anyone on here, but I will list these things to be careful about.

1. Make sure your color matches your bio hair.

2. Make sure the density is correct for your own bio hair, age, etc. When it doubt, go lighter!

3. Choose a style that fits your age, lifestyle, etc. And please make it a modern one. A good haircut can cover up a host of other problems.

4. Above, with an emphasis on something that can completely or partially cover your hairline if you have experienced lifting issues in the past, or think you might (greasy, oily skin, perspire heavily, do a lot of sport, etc).

5. Maintenance, maintenance, maintenance. A hair system is something you can't leave and forget. You want to look good, consistently!

I have an example of something that might not look so bad, but could be better, this is from a new YouTube channel by Jake Kent.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCwwi1KV00ZDAwxGGuy7HPgg

View attachment 142902

In this first pic, the system looks, to me, to be way too dense, and the hair is sticking up, it's not a flattering haircut, and the blend is a tad off..

View attachment 142904

In the second pic the blend is perfect, and the style is more relaxed, and more natural.

I would never think he was wearing a system in the bottom pic had I seen him walking down the street, first pic... I would say wig.

Hey baldbearded. Please make a post alone and copy and paste this info ^^^
Great Advice!!!!

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
The question about what hairstyles you can and cannot wear with a system comes up often, and I'm pretty much of the opinion you can wear any style you want. I was told we can't do exposed hairlines. I do. Today I'm wearing longer on the top today, and #2 on the sides and love the look. As much as my haircut will let me - I am constantly changing my hairstyle - some days are more successful than others.... So for HairlineNoMore - keep in mind what BaldBearded stated above and go for it. I think you will find you can really do any style you want.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well I'll take the good from this; I wish I would have realized this sooner BUT, at least I did!! (And I'm still under the two year mark of wearing a system any way!)

Ive been wearing for 18 months, and I’ve had some looks that were more successful than others. The less successful looks weren’t because the hair looked fake or unrealistic, it was because the hairstyle wasn’t right for me.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm about halfway there... Not having great hairstyles \ learning the ropes \ AND not having great custom systems at first hindered more than helped... Yet still moving forward, like we all are! As it is your style looks great, or at least the guy in your avatar!

When you first start out, you really have a lot of instances where you just don't know what you don't know. You read the forums, think you have your bases covered only to find out there's so much more to learn. As for the avatar - it is me. This was a bit thick for me, so we thinned this out a bit more from here.

Diesel guy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Diesel guy - For sure, just have to get through the trial and error period and learn from that... My stylist said she once had a client that would literally go home and stare \ nitpick at his hairline for a long time; so that's not the best route to go down I think.

Nice style though, but I think I learned today the system itself makes a lot of the difference. Now I have one of the better customs on but, after walking a few miles today around my development, I came home and found that it looked very obvious... How it was blending with my real hair, the color, style, etc. Now did people notice? That's a question that in our shoes, you should never ask, ha! But just a quick example of how the learning \ compensating never stops!

I believe it is BaldBeard that says, 'It looks like real hard, but it doesn't act like real hair' - and there is alot of truth to that. I notice when it is windy - my hair blows in two different segments - my system hair, and my bio hair. I can Cleary see where one begins and the other one ends. Now, I know what I"m looking at, but I'm sure most other people just see wind blown hair and boy' doesn't that look funky. I doubt anyone is saying look at that fake hair on that man. So we are our own worst critics - and I know for sure I am. You will be surprised how quickly you manage it all. hell, I've gone out with my entire hairline lifting. Just combed it down a bit and went on. No one noticed - and even more importantly - I didn't care if they did. Now at work... that would never fly.

Last edited: