Is Platelet-rich Plasma (prp) Hair Loss Treatment A Scam?

baldwien

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello,

I am 33 years old and my genetic hair loss has become more aggressive in the last couple of months. I would say, now I am at NW2.5 - 3.
Now enough is enough and I want to do something against my hair loss.
But unfortunately the so called BIG3 (finasteride,minoxidil,Ket) combo is not an option for me, since me and my wife plan to have a baby.

Besides the BIG3 combo, we now have also PRP as a safe alternative for hair loss treatment.
But I can't find any positive independent user reviews in online forums regarding the PRP treatment. All I can find are some advertising before&after photos on some hair clinic websites...
The PRP treatment has now been around for some time, but the lack of positive results/reviews makes me wonder, if it is all scam and nothing else but expensive snake-oil?

What do you guys think of PRP? If it can be helpful then I would seriously consider it. For me, it would be enough, if PRP can at least maintain my current hair and make the existing hair a little bit thicker. This would be actually a huge success for me...

Or is it just scam, where no results whatsoever can be expected? Furthermore, can it make situation even worse? For example, shock hair loss caused by injection trauma?

baldwien

My Regimen
Reaction score
There's a reason why nobody has ever posted positive results on any hair loss forum...

So PRP is just bullshit... I really wonder, then why the hell is PRP still a thing in the media? People must realise by now PRP is just bull crap. Probably because of stupid suckers like me... But seriously, if doctors know that and still offer it just to suck insecure desperate people's money dry and they should be all sued or something. I mean, jesus, there are guys like Prasad who claim 99% success rate and charge 5000$ per session... Then why aren't these 99% people report any positive results? Where the hell are they? Really, not a single independent experience report in this forum with positive PRP result. Should government ban PRP to put an end to this consumer scam then?

What about then all the studies with positive PRP results? Are they also bought and scam?

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
total bullshit in my opinion and all these scammy hair transplant surgeons and clinics that are selling it should be thrown in jail, because their are probably a million other atrocities they commit. That being said, I think it MAY be a good addition for when you're getting an hair transplant, if you are rich. Same goes for other surgeons who try to sell you on it for tendon and ligament surgeries.

Roberto_72

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is the treatment that made me lose confidence in my hair transplant surgeon in Italy. When PRP came out, I asked him about it and he said one of his associates (in his same premises) performed it and suggested it was a good idea.

However, differently from hair transplant, this happened:
- it was not specified that it should be done right after a hair transplant, not three years later
- before pictures were taken, but no "after" appointment was scheduled and pictures were not taken to evaluate the difference. Guess why...

baldwien

My Regimen
Reaction score
As I said, I would consider PRP a success if it can at least have a maintaining effect or slowing male pattern baldness down. My doctor suggested in my current state (NW2.5-3), where all the hair follicles are still alive, the PRP can revert miniaturization to some degree and slow the male pattern baldness down. Furthermore, in best case it can even grow new hair, but it is extremely rare he said and cosmetically insignificant. Basically he would consider PRP for maintaining whats left and possibly thickening the remaining hair.

But it seems according to all the negative reports, that I found online, PRP just doesn't do anything. No maintaining, no thickening of the remaining hair, just nothing! Plain waste of money, right? Too bad... Now I think, I am out of options and must accept the fact that I will be bald next year... This sucks balls. Why do doctors even bother with PRP? Unethical money hungry bastards, don't play with our lives... They should all be sued!!!

Pequod

Experienced Member
Reaction score
They offer PRP because it must be close to a total profit for them, as far as legitimate treatments there are hair transplants and finasteride/dutasteride. I see you can't do finasteride so a hair transplant is the other option if you have the money. You can get very good results.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Waste of money and time for even reading these bullshits :|

Mach

Established Member
Reaction score
I get acell/prp once a year and I'll continue to get the treatment. If you're on the big 3 and have the funds it makes perfect sense. However this year I'm looking at getting 1500 grafts so I don't think I'll get the treatment till next summer.

Going to someone that has a clue on what's going on helps. Best of luck.

Arman1234

My Regimen
Reaction score
I tried PRP for the first time about a year ago for my hair. I've used everything I can get my hands on to battle hair loss for the last 20 years, including Propecia, Rogaine, Hair Transplants and PRP Injections. Here is what I can tell you... In my opinion, they all work but they work in different ways and to different extents. Of course, the best and most immediate results I've had were from doing a hair transplant. There is no doubt that works really well! However, I also know for a fact that Propecia is extremely good at PREVENTING hair LOSS. I don't think it has helped me grow more hair but I know that my pillow is covered with hair if I stop taking Propecia for a few weeks or more. PRP seems to have an effect that is similar to Propecia for me. I stopped taking Propecia for a while and then had PRP. I noticed dramatically less hair on my pillow and in my hands in the morning, even when I wasn't taking Propecia. I'm doing all of it together now so I don't really know what works best but I can tell you that the combination of Propecia, PRP every once in a while and Rogaine daily has really slowed down or almost stopped hair loss for me but it's just a battle against genetics and time!

Emu

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just had my first prp injections on the 16/1/18 I will give my honest feedback here so everyone can judge for themselves.

It’s difficult to find real cases online. They told me it would be 12 months before I could notice any difference in hair density.

The blokes hair that runs the clinic looks really thick and healthy he said he has prp treatments.

I will report back here in a few months and update everyone.

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
@lastcome share your experience with this user please

Georgie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Only few decent personal reviews I’ve seen were mostly female, but otherwise I don’t trust sh*t until I see it for real.