Is Peppermint Oil Good Or Bad For Hair?

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Wire brushing? That's quite a list. Nobody can ever accuse us of being lazy in terms of treatments tried. I don't know if you are willing to try things like oral minoxidil or progesterone/progestins or estrogen on your scalp and face. My experience is that estrogen is phenomenal but it is also extremely likely to go systemic when used topically anywhere although It is especially absorbed at rates of five times more when used on genital skin by males and females.
I am at a point where i don't think anything will work for me. problem with Oral minoxidil is that i have become abit sensitive in recent years to hypersensitivity. so B vitamins and Caffiene can make me feel abit anxious, sick and panicky. so id be afraid to try Oral Minoxidil.

I don't know what progesterone/progestins is, but i know Spirolactone certainly doesn't help and isn't that estrogen? i don't think my body likes Low testosterone tbh.

Last edited:

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Don't forget cayenne pepper. David Letterman had someone back in the 80's on his show dealing with natural ways of dealing with common human issues and the gal on the show mentioned cayenne pepper which I have not tried. It seemed too messy but maybe one could get a good pepper high making it worthwhile.
I once tried applying onion juice to my scalp. didn't smell good for days but thats how desperate i got to try and stop the inflammation... not sure it helped. tried ginger too. and activated charcoal. i dunno about cayenne pepper. never heard of it.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am at a point where i don't think anything will work for me. problem with Oral minoxidil is that i have become abit sensitive in recent years to hypersensitivity. so B vitamins and Caffiene can make me feel abit anxious, sick and panicky. so id be afraid to try Oral Minoxidil.

I don't know what progesterone/progestins is, but i know Spirolactone certainly doesn't help and isn't that estrogen? i don't think my body likes Low testosterone tbh.
Spironolactone can have some similar effects to estrogen. AA's traditionally have been used when MtFs cannot reach adult female targets of T and E and spironolactone facilitates this by blocking the action of testosterone upon certain receptors. Testosterone often goes up in terms of serum levels, however. AA's also appear to be jarring and harsh to the body and many, including me, have faulted it and other AA's for sheds when we either start or stop therapy with spironolactone or other AA's.

AA's entered the picture primarily due to their effects on hair improvement noted in prostate cancer patients. I don't believe that this is actually regrowth. I think that it is instead mathematically a trompe l'oeil due to the lessening in hair loss which can present as hair growth. This may be why such hair "regrowth" is similar to finasteride/Minoxidil hair regrowth and seldom cosmetically significant although that depends upon the person but probably of questionable cosmetic significance to third parties. I have seen pics of guys with huge skulls where they get all but miraculous results through micro-needling in terms of regrowth and coverage and yet, to third parties, eh, there goes a bald guy with some more coverage. Once they stop, it seems to disappear rapidly.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Spironolactone can have some similar effects to estrogen. AA's traditionally have been used when MtFs cannot reach adult female targets of T and E and spironolactone facilitates this by blocking the action of testosterone upon certain receptors. Testosterone often goes up in terms of serum levels, however. AA's also appear to be jarring and harsh to the body and many, including me, have faulted it and other AA's for sheds when we either start or stop therapy with spironolactone or other AA's.

AA's entered the picture primarily due to their effects on hair improvement noted in prostate cancer patients. I don't believe that this is actually regrowth. I think that it is instead mathematically a trompe l'oeil due to the lessening in hair loss which can present as hair growth. This may be why such hair "regrowth" is similar to finasteride/Minoxidil hair regrowth and seldom cosmetically significant although that depends upon the person but probably of questionable cosmetic significance to third parties. I have seen pics of guys with huge skulls where they get all but miraculous results through micro-needling in terms of regrowth and coverage and yet, to third parties, eh, there goes a bald guy with some more coverage. Once they stop, it seems to disappear rapidly.
These guys are very lucky if they can micro-needle and grow some hair back. really wish i could do that or at least have a hope in trying it. but i can also say i have tried micro-needling and get inflammation there too.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
These guys are very lucky if they can micro-needle and grow some hair back. really wish i could do that or at least have a hope in trying it. but i can also say i have tried micro-needling and get inflammation there too.
I wish that I had more to offer you. If it makes you feel any better, in the semi-long run, virtually no males improve their overall hair experience ever and I mean beyond even hair counts. The mullet-thing gets worse as we age. Then the age-related aspect kicks in and even the treatments that people tout might not work as well in terms of maintenance at that point meaning that with the exception of MtF HRT nothing works for cis-males, not even anti-androgen medications by themselves. You have to have significantly high estrogen levels to improve anagen cycles which might be the reason for female hair looking nicer and almost certainly growing longer than is true of males past roughly the age of 17. I am not saying to give up but many MtFs spend years trying different things to increase breast development and nothing works. Sexually dimorphic things like scalp hair, beard and body hair growth and breast growth might be very tightly integrated and difficult to adjust and we sort of know this already, since cis-females don't appear able to increase breast size or improve their hair using estrogen at least until they experience a significant reduction in circulating estrogen levels as they age or become pregnant.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wish that I had more to offer you. If it makes you feel any better, in the semi-long run, virtually no males improve their overall hair experience ever and I mean beyond even hair counts. The mullet-thing gets worse as we age. Then the age-related aspect kicks in and even the treatments that people tout might not work as well in terms of maintenance at that point meaning that with the exception of MtF HRT nothing works for cis-males, not even anti-androgen medications by themselves. You have to have significantly high estrogen levels to improve anagen cycles which might be the reason for female hair looking nicer and almost certainly growing longer than is true of males past roughly the age of 17. I am not saying to give up but many MtFs spend years trying different things to increase breast development and nothing works. Sexually dimorphic things like scalp hair, beard and body hair growth and breast growth might be very tightly integrated and difficult to adjust and we sort of know this already, since cis-females don't appear able to increase breast size or improve their hair using estrogen at least until they experience a significant reduction in circulating estrogen levels as they age or become pregnant.
I think my scalp is just totally messed up. i don't wanna be a defeatist when it comes to this situation, but i don't think i have any choice.

The harder i try, the quicker it thins out. its just receding, not shedding. stress related? immune related? hormone related? i wish i knew what it was, so i could stand a chance of maybe fixing it.

Last edited:

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So my opinion on it is that it's not worth it, and that there are better things to use topically, it's "supposed" to induce growth, and "supposed" to according to a study work almost as good as minoxidil in regrowing hair on rats that were intentionally rendered hairless.

The reality is that peppermint oil made my skin weirdly dry and irritated and I just didn't feel like I was getting good results from it.

What -has- given me good results and continues to do so is finacea .15% in a distilled water base, topical cetirizine (though not as frequently), and my own blend of sophora root mixed with witch hazel and distilled water.

The sophora root has legit worked, I was taking a leap of faith on it but it has actually helped maintain my hair, it supposedly signals RNA induction of hair growth and helps inhibit dht.

Another thing I'm using but it's too soon to tell is adenogen, but it has adenosine in it so I'm not using it every day because I'm worried it will have sides like minoxidil.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Don't forget cayenne pepper. David Letterman had someone back in the 80's on his show dealing with natural ways of dealing with common human issues and the gal on the show mentioned cayenne pepper which I have not tried. It seemed too messy but maybe one could get a good pepper high making it worthwhile.

I would highly recommend against the capsaicin route, there was a study I read and I'm trying to find it again, but even though there's some interesting theories about capsaicin increasing hair growth, this one study I need to find again basically said that you'll just f*** your hair up.

I think the prevalent theory is that capsaicin inhibits janus kinase and thus it might make your hair grow, but there's another layer to it and I'm really really bad at finding these interesting studies and then not bookmarking them, because I just internalize it and I never think I might have to share it again.

However, I would not recommend using capsaicin on your scalp, there are so many treatments that will work better and won't burn the ever living f*** out of your skin.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
You mean that I can't use a David Letterman show from the 80's as an authoritative source for cayenne pepper? I never intended to use cayenne pepper but was just mentioning how far we are willing to go at times in our quest for hair. I can imagine some bald person from the past attacking someone and getting pepper-sprayed and the next morning seeing little sprouts all over his head.

I don't think that I have ever used anything that was completely useless and without acknowledgement in the literature. I am surprised how long I waited to finally try oral minoxidil which for most people appears to be night and day better than the topical version.

DogoDiLaurentiis

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You mean that I can't use a David Letterman show from the 80's as an authoritative source for cayenne pepper? I never intended to use cayenne pepper but was just mentioning how far we are willing to go at times in our quest for hair. I can imagine some bald person from the past attacking someone and getting pepper-sprayed and the next morning seeing little sprouts all over his head.

I don't think that I have ever used anything that was completely useless and without acknowledgement in the literature. I am surprised how long I waited to finally try oral minoxidil which for most people appears to be night and day better than the topical version.

There have been other sites which have cited the connection with capsaicin and it's janus kinase inhibiting properties with potential hair growth, while if you can stand the sting, capsaicin cream will temporarily increase bloodflow and tighten up the skin on your face, there are probably better ways of doing that also.

I just really wouldn't use it on hair and I actually know some people who consumed a lot of spicy foods for years and it seemed to have no beneficial impact on their hair growth as they both were losing it.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
There have been other sites which have cited the connection with capsaicin and it's janus kinase inhibiting properties with potential hair growth, while if you can stand the sting, capsaicin cream will temporarily increase bloodflow and tighten up the skin on your face, there are probably better ways of doing that also.

I just really wouldn't use it on hair and I actually know some people who consumed a lot of spicy foods for years and it seemed to have no beneficial impact on their hair growth as they both were losing it.
LoL. Like my vegetarian/tofu stage which I figured would help my hair health. Nope. I love my animal protein but as mentioned, there are lots of things that people try.