Is Peppermint Oil Good Or Bad For Hair?

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Recently i tried adding peppermint oil to shampoo and while i ain't 100% sure. i do believe it helped my scalp itch. but i also noticed after 2 days my hair looked thinner. so i dunno. i have heard mixed things. some say it helped. others say peppermint oil gave a shed. others say Peppermint oil can be toxic and others say its fine.

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ah yes good ol peppermint oil

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I have been using Peppermint oil lately. and it makes my hair look really thin. it does help my sensitive scalp. but i feel like its frying my hairline.

jazz1

Reaction score

jazz1

Reaction score

Aethas

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Instead of using peppermint oil you could apply cold water on your scalp to the same extend, brown fat is a necessity for hair growth And it is probably the reason behind why peppermint oil could be of help.

jazz1

Reaction score

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Oils and essential oils do help and work as they contain nutrients, obviously work better when your on the BIG3.

https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/my-results-with-divine-herbal-hair-oil.64011/
Yeah. I am not saying that they don't. Eh.

Hemming and hawing.

It depends upon how much time you have and what your goals are. In my opinion, most males vastly overrate what hair growth/regrowth is cosmetically significant. I have always been fascinated with regrowth from slick baldness so that is out of reach. Then we could talk about maybe not an increase in hair counts but a big improvement in managability and texture or ability to grow it long and I am not even seeing that really with very few exceptions and usually in younger guys. Trying to use peppermint oil instead of minoxidil for a lifetime for most guys is not viable in my opinion and that is what I mean by that, not that it doesn't work at all. Even though Rob's massages don't work well or at all, I still think that he is great at evaluating what works and most of these things, caffeine, oils, serenoa, palmetto, phytoestrogens just aren't worth the hassle for most people.

YMMMV. Your mileage may vary is the motto of MtF hormonal manipulation. Best wishes.

Smackbang77

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just think essential oils are a dead-end. Somebody show me a good pic!
not a pic of humans but look at this : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2.0/html/tileshop_pmc/tileshop_pmc_inline.html?title=Click on image to zoom&p=PMC3&id=4289931_toxicr-30-297-g0002.jpg

each row is a week, MXD is minoxidil 3% and PEO is peppermint oil 3% (diluted in jojoba oil)

You can see in the first week or 2 minoxidil is more effective, but by week 4 peppermint oil made all mice almost full of hair again, they measured 55% growth for minoxidil 3% vs 92% growth for peppermint oil

link to the study : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/

I wish more studies were made on peppermint oil and others (I heard black seed oil works wonders), but I think the funding just isnt there since they arent that profitable

Last edited:

Smackbang77

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been using Peppermint oil lately. and it makes my hair look really thin. it does help my sensitive scalp. but i feel like its frying my hairline.
hey how long have you been using peppermint oil and how were you dosing it ? putting a few drops in 10mL of essential oil or something ?

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hey how long have you been using peppermint oil and how were you dosing it ? putting a few drops in 10mL of essential oil or something ?
Well i been using Nioxin 2 which has peppermint oil in it for the last year. and when i ran out of Nioxin i tried just adding 2 or 3 drops of peppermint oil into some gentle shampoo after i applied to hand.

I am struggling big time to find a shampoo that doesn't increase my scalp inflammation. and peppermint oil is closer to anything i found so far that has helped abit. but yeah i feel like my hair looks abit fried some days.

Its not to say this would happen for everyone. but for some reason my hair and scalp hate the circulation increase. or at least thats how it seems.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well i been using Nioxin 2 which has peppermint oil in it for the last year. and when i ran out of Nioxin i tried just adding 2 or 3 drops of peppermint oil into some gentle shampoo after i applied to hand.

I am struggling big time to find a shampoo that doesn't increase my scalp inflammation. and peppermint oil is closer to anything i found so far that has helped abit. but yeah i feel like my hair looks abit fried some days.

Its not to say this would happen for everyone. but for some reason my hair and scalp hate the circulation increase. or at least thats how it seems.
Have you ever tried polysorbates? I assume you are stating that Keto and other dandruff shampoos aren't cutting it.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Have you ever tried polysorbates? I assume you are stating that Keto and other dandruff shampoos aren't cutting it.
I am abit broken tbh. almost all shampoo's don't help. keto, Dandruff, Polysorbates, saw palmetto included. and i also have the same issue with face creams where they also give me scalp inflammation. i have found a sensitive skin face cream and wash called cetaphil that seems to be ok, but anything else is a nope. and same with Diet. i notice certain foods like fries seem to give me scalp inflammation. its all really weird. and i have been to a doctor about it but since my scalp shows no signs of flaking or redness its not really taken seriously.

I wasn't like this prior to trying Dutasteride. and its possible its an autoimmune response. but i really don't have any way i can find this out.

Either way the inflammation is eating at my hair line

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am abit broken tbh. almost all shampoo's don't help. keto, Dandruff, Polysorbates, saw palmetto included. and i also have the same issue with face creams where they also give me scalp inflammation. i have found a sensitive skin face cream and wash called cetaphil that seems to be ok, but anything else is a nope. and same with Diet. i notice certain foods like fries seem to give me scalp inflammation. its all really weird. and i have been to a doctor about it but since my scalp shows no signs of flaking or redness its not really taken seriously.

I wasn't like this prior to trying Dutasteride. and its possible its an autoimmune response. but i really don't have any way i can find this out.

Either way the inflammation is eating at my hair line
I wonder if it is related to DHT. I found that even using Min/Duta that I had horrible dermatitis that went from all over my scalp under my hair as I had fairly full coverage always and it appeared above my eyebrows and all over my face. Even HRT seemed to make no difference on my face, although my scalp dermatitis relented almost immediately while using topical estrogen. I think that the beard follicles are a pernicious source of DHT, which come up with the follicles and which together with the yeast furfur and bacteria can wreak havoc. Virtually all DHT artifacts less body hair seem to appear about the neck. What resolved my dermatitis was beard removal and about halfway through, i.e. six months and four laser-removal sessions, my face cleared and lightened noticeably and it may have started femininizing after lagging the below the neck areas for years. I wonder if such dermatits can move around and to the hairline especially and cause hairline issues and inflammation resulting in more baldness.

neddy2016

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I wonder if it is related to DHT. I found that even using Min/Duta that I had horrible dermatitis that went from all over my scalp under my hair as I had fairly full coverage always and it appeared above my eyebrows and all over my face. Even HRT seemed to make no difference on my face, although my scalp dermatitis relented almost immediately while using topical estrogen. I think that the beard follicles are a pernicious source of DHT, which come up with the follicles and which together with the yeast furfur and bacteria can wreak havoc. Virtually all DHT artifacts less body hair seem to appear about the neck. What resolved my dermatitis was beard removal and about halfway through, i.e. six months and four laser-removal sessions, my face cleared and lightened noticeably and it may have started femininizing after lagging the below the neck areas for years. I wonder if such dermatits can move around and to the hairline especially and cause hairline issues and inflammation resulting in more baldness.

I have no idea whether its DHT for me. some days i think its possible since it still looks like a male pattern baldness pattern (My hair line), but other days it doesn't correlate. i mean masturbation for example doesn't create the inflammation, somedays it actually lessens after masturbation. which is a big head f***.

I have tried the follow things, but they all resulted in a boost of scalp inflammation about 4 hours later.

Scalp massage.
Laser Comb
Finasteride
Dutasteride
Saw Palmetto
spironolactone
Keto
Minoxidil
Caffeine shampoos
Castor oil
Coconut oil
Sensitive scalp shampoos
T-gel
azelaic acid

The only thing i found that helps abit is Nioxin 2 shampoo. and i have no idea why. it has a peppermint fragrance and its quite strong in sulphates and tends to make me shed after washing. but its the only thing that calms it down abit for some unknown reason. wish i knew what it was.

And sometimes not washing my scalp for 2 days helps too. but then oil just builds up, which can't be good.

Last edited:

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have no idea whether its DHT for me. some days i think its possible since it still looks like a male pattern baldness pattern (My hair line), but other days it doesn't correlate. i mean masturbation for example doesn't create the inflammation, somedays it actually lessens after masturbation. which is a big head f***.

I have tried the follow things, but they all resulted in a boost of scalp inflammation about 4 hours later.

Scalp massage.
Laser Comb
Finasteride
Dutasteride
Saw Palmetto
spironolactone
Keto
Minoxidil
Caffeine shampoos
Castor oil
Coconut oil
Sensitive scalp shampoos
T-gel
azelaic acid

The only thing i found that helps abit is Nioxin 2 shampoo. and i have no idea why. it has a peppermint fragrance and its quite strong in sulphates and tends to make me shed after washing. but its the only thing that calms it down abit for some unknown reason.

And sometimes not washing my scalp for 2 days helps too. but then oil just builds up, which can't be good.
Wire brushing? That's quite a list. Nobody can ever accuse us of being lazy in terms of treatments tried. I don't know if you are willing to try things like oral minoxidil or progesterone/progestins or estrogen on your scalp and face. My experience is that estrogen is phenomenal but it is also extremely likely to go systemic when used topically anywhere although It is especially absorbed at rates of five times more when used on genital skin by males and females.

JaneyElizabeth

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
not a pic of humans but look at this : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/core/lw/2.0/html/tileshop_pmc/tileshop_pmc_inline.html?title=Click on image to zoom&p=PMC3&id=4289931_toxicr-30-297-g0002.jpg

each row is a week, MXD is minoxidil 3% and PEO is peppermint oil 3% (diluted in jojoba oil)

You can see in the first week or 2 minoxidil is more effective, but by week 4 peppermint oil made all mice almost full of hair again, they measured 55% growth for minoxidil 3% vs 92% growth for peppermint oil

link to the study : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4289931/

I wish more studies were made on peppermint oil and others (I heard black seed oil works wonders), but I think the funding just isnt there since they arent that profitable
Don't forget cayenne pepper. David Letterman had someone back in the 80's on his show dealing with natural ways of dealing with common human issues and the gal on the show mentioned cayenne pepper which I have not tried. It seemed too messy but maybe one could get a good pepper high making it worthwhile.