Is Oral Minoxidil really worth the hair it gives you?

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
did you at least grow any body hair/beard hair? or did minoxidil just have no effect on you

CONOR1863

My Regimen
Reaction score
I switched from topical to oral about 7months ago after talking to my hair transplant surgeon. I've noticed a significant increase in hair growth inc facial and body hair.

The side effects are definitely worth weighing up but it's going to be quite individual. I've heard of some people not taking to it at all but this seems to be a minority. I've had absolutely no side effects.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve tried it... in 10 different forms. I still have a bottle of 15% minoxidil. For me it doesn’t do a thing, but there is science behind it, but I think the researchers must have been paid off, because of all the hype & negligible results.
So I’ve seen doctors take it personally, but since I’ve tried it I’d look elsewhere

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
No. Get minoxidil sulphate powder, and mix that up instead. OM ages you too much.

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Make your skin look like old man, make you hairy like ape.

There are plenty of studies showing it depletes collagen, however it stimulates elastin production. I got hit on both ends because I was taking OM+eplerenone. Minoxidil depletes collagen, while eplerenone inhibits both. Perhaps if I had only taken OM it wouldn't have been as noticeable. Regardless, the amount of body hair growth is too much. I was already as hairy as a man can be without looking gross.

Even topical minoxidil gives me noticeable collagen depletion on my face and hands.
Man i am on oral minoxidil since 1 year and my hands and feet skin aged like crazy.

My father has way less wrinkles on fingers than me now and i am only 22

On my face this side effect is way less pronounced fortunately

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
I think microneedling and rubbing Hyaluronic cream and retinol in your face can potentially counteract the collagen issues. But I don’t think the “aging” you see with minoxidil is a result of just collagen inhibition. The combination of water retention and the alcohol for the topical version probably negatively affects your face.

But yes, there are studies showing upwards of 20% collagen depletion when using minoxidil. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/03008207.2020.1816992

I can’t be bothered figuring out the dosage information, but if your face is negatively affected with topical, oral might make it worse. I think a lot of it depends on if your face is more degraded by the water retention/alcohol than collagen depletion. I personally didn’t have issues with topical minoxidil, so maybe oral minoxidil would do well with me.

Will Be an Egg in 5 years

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wow. Sounds convenient as hell! That’s incredible. Yeah— I really wanna hop on this sh*t. I’ve seen some incredible results from it.
1.1mg of finasteride, 5mg of minoxidil, and 1mg of biotin.

He said he have no sides. But I don't know. Oral min seems dangerous. I have family history heart disease so I'd never try it.

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
1.1mg of finasteride, 5mg of minoxidil, and 1mg of biotin.

He said he have no sides. But I don't know. Oral min seems dangerous. I have family history heart disease so I'd never try it.
Same dude. Heart disease on my mom sides. My moms dad actually died of a heart attack. f***— hair loss makes you do crazy things tho. I’ve never felt so desperate about anything in my whole life

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is without a doubt the most efficacious hair loss drug there is IMO.

Regrowth may take larger doses. It depends on a lot of factors. How severe, how early, what other treatments you are on, etc etc. But I think that in general, people could take very low doses and still get better results than topical. Plus there's no hassle or gunk to deal with like in the topical. I think @JaneyElizabeth mentioned that females can get away with doses as low as 0.1mg and get noticeable results from it. Even 1mg is relatively low for a male, but honestly I'd bet that it's more powerful than the 5% topical, with a similar side effect profile too. I do think that a lot of people are wasting their time on topical when they could go with 1-2mg and reap a lot of benefits. A lot of people give up on minoxidil because the 5% is too weak and/or is not being absorbed well, but a lot of times all they need is a more concentrated dose whether it's 10-15%, perhaps even staying at 5% and combined with needling, or the oral version. Obviously being a cardiac medication, it's not for everyone though.

Jim lahey

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive
Make your skin look like old man, make you hairy like ape.

There are plenty of studies showing it depletes collagen, however it stimulates elastin production. I got hit on both ends because I was taking OM+eplerenone. Minoxidil depletes collagen, while eplerenone inhibits both. Perhaps if I had only taken OM it wouldn't have been as noticeable. Regardless, the amount of body hair growth is too much. I was already as hairy as a man can be without looking gross.

Even topical minoxidil gives me noticeable collagen depletion on my face and hands.
Did the aging side effects reverse when you got off?

I've been thinking about getting on oral cause I've recently been trying to grow a beard and been applying min to my face as well. This would enable me to stop applying to face and hair and maybe work much better?

Doesn't microneedling increase collagen production as well?

Isneezedsohard

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It is without a doubt the most efficacious hair loss drug there is IMO.

Regrowth may take larger doses. It depends on a lot of factors. How severe, how early, what other treatments you are on, etc etc. But I think that in general, people could take very low doses and still get better results than topical. Plus there's no hassle or gunk to deal with like in the topical. I think @JaneyElizabeth mentioned that females can get away with doses as low as 0.1mg and get noticeable results from it. Even 1mg is relatively low for a male, but honestly I'd bet that it's more powerful than the 5% topical, with a similar side effect profile too. I do think that a lot of people are wasting their time on topical when they could go with 1-2mg and reap a lot of benefits. A lot of people give up on minoxidil because the 5% is too weak and/or is not being absorbed well, but a lot of times all they need is a more concentrated dose whether it's 10-15%, perhaps even staying at 5% and combined with needling, or the oral version. Obviously being a cardiac medication, it's not for everyone though.
Yeah. I kinda wanna give 2.5 mg a shot. 5mg seems daunting, but I’m on topicals now— I’m so f*****g over having to apply the sh*t every morning and night. And I think it makes me shed more— I believe my scalp is quite sensitive.