Is Oral Minoxidil really worth the hair it gives you?

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil on its own is not going to stop hair loss. Oral min is junk in my opinion. Did it for 9 months woke up looking like I'd been kicked in the face half a dozen times.
yeah you gotta take finasteride or dutasteride. sorry to hear about your experience with it, hopefully it doesn’t happen with me

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
& still you couldn’t stop loss or regrow any hair??
Nope, stopped hairloss maybe. But with dutasteride, RU, min, and micro-needling works well for me. I thought doing all orals dutasteride, spironolactone, min, would be supper easy, convenient, and grow alot of hair but it didn't.

CONOR1863

My Regimen
Reaction score
I switched from topical to oral about 7months ago after talking to my hair transplant surgeon. I've noticed a significant increase in hair growth inc facial and body hair.

The side effects are definitely worth weighing up but it's going to be quite individual. I've heard of some people not taking to it at all but this seems to be a minority. I've had absolutely no side effects.

Three Letter Agency

My Regimen
Reaction score
I switched from topical to oral about 7months ago after talking to my hair transplant surgeon. I've noticed a significant increase in hair growth inc facial and body hair.

The side effects are definitely worth weighing up but it's going to be quite individual. I've heard of some people not taking to it at all but this seems to be a minority. I've had absolutely no side effects.
What dosage are you taking?

Jakejr

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve tried it... in 10 different forms. I still have a bottle of 15% minoxidil. For me it doesn’t do a thing, but there is science behind it, but I think the researchers must have been paid off, because of all the hype & negligible results.
So I’ve seen doctors take it personally, but since I’ve tried it I’d look elsewhere

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
No. Get minoxidil sulphate powder, and mix that up instead. OM ages you too much.

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is this true that OM ages you or not?
Make your skin look like old man, make you hairy like ape.

There are plenty of studies showing it depletes collagen, however it stimulates elastin production. I got hit on both ends because I was taking OM+eplerenone. Minoxidil depletes collagen, while eplerenone inhibits both. Perhaps if I had only taken OM it wouldn't have been as noticeable. Regardless, the amount of body hair growth is too much. I was already as hairy as a man can be without looking gross.

Even topical minoxidil gives me noticeable collagen depletion on my face and hands.

StayPositive

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Make your skin look like old man, make you hairy like ape.

There are plenty of studies showing it depletes collagen, however it stimulates elastin production. I got hit on both ends because I was taking OM+eplerenone. Minoxidil depletes collagen, while eplerenone inhibits both. Perhaps if I had only taken OM it wouldn't have been as noticeable. Regardless, the amount of body hair growth is too much. I was already as hairy as a man can be without looking gross.

Even topical minoxidil gives me noticeable collagen depletion on my face and hands.
Man i am on oral minoxidil since 1 year and my hands and feet skin aged like crazy.

My father has way less wrinkles on fingers than me now and i am only 22

On my face this side effect is way less pronounced fortunately

pegasus2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Is there any actual proof of this? Or just anecdotal?

There are creams you can use to moisturise skin.
Of what, body hair or collagen depletion? There are lots of studies confirming both.

Moisturizing creams are useless against collagen depletion.
Can't you negate this by taking collagen supps?
I don't think you can negate it, but you can combat it with collagen supplements and tretinoin