Is Oral Minoxidil really worth the hair it gives you?

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive heard of some pretty nasty side effects from oral Minoxidil involving the heart but i’ve also heard it’s very effective at regrowing your hair. Are the side effects worth the hair it gives you? This is my last defense to fight hair loss & i need advice. Any help would be appreciated, thank you!

Selb

My Regimen
Reaction score
If you need regrowth outside of androgen inhibition, the order of operations for anything minoxidil related should be:

Topical liquid or foam minoxidil

Topical Minoxidil and microneedling.

Topical Minoxidil, microneedling and tretinoin.

Higher concentration topical Minoxidil with the above.

Oral Minoxidil is your last resort

DarkHairHair

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you need regrowth outside of androgen inhibition, the order of operations for anything minoxidil related should be:

Minoxidil is not worth. It's work only for 2 years and It's annoying to wear this every day 2 times

Derelict

My Regimen
Reaction score

You don't really require higher concentrations with needling imo, they tend to be much more expensive than standard 5% and should not be needed, min+tretinoin+needling or 5/10mg oral minoxidil.

Ziggyz123

Established Member
Reaction score
Honestly, if you are one of the few that don’t get fluid retention on it, I do think it’s worth using. Minoxidil literally thickened my hair and regrew a good portion to the point that I legit thought I was cured..

my swollen cheeks and swollen eyes were literally deforming me and it actually worsened my allergies which made my eyes squinty all the time. Lol hard to explain

but yeah, I’m still toying with getting back on it with a better diuretic maybe.

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What is your norwood ? you lost your hair since when ? Do you take finasteride ?
not too sure honestly. My hairline has receded a little at the temples but the thinning on top is very severe. Quit finasteride & hopped on dutasteride a while ago. Been losing my hair for 4 years or so

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Can’t really use topicals at this point bc i constantly have concealer in. There’d have to be a topical where i could apply it every few days or so. So oral minoxidil is my last resort unfortunately

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Honestly, if you are one of the few that don’t get fluid retention on it, I do think it’s worth using. Minoxidil literally thickened my hair and regrew a good portion to the point that I legit thought I was cured..

my swollen cheeks and swollen eyes were literally deforming me and it actually worsened my allergies which made my eyes squinty all the time. Lol hard to explain

but yeah, I’m still toying with getting back on it with a better diuretic maybe.
i wish there was a way of knowing if it’ll affect your fluid retention before actually trying it out. also heard it has some effects on your heart, not just palpitations but long term. but who knows man. hopefully i get the balls to pull the trigger & try it but idk it just sounds really scary.

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil on its own is not going to stop hair loss. Oral min is junk in my opinion. Did it for 9 months woke up looking like I'd been kicked in the face half a dozen times.

Lost Boy

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Minoxidil on its own is not going to stop hair loss. Oral min is junk in my opinion. Did it for 9 months woke up looking like I'd been kicked in the face half a dozen times.
yeah you gotta take finasteride or dutasteride. sorry to hear about your experience with it, hopefully it doesn’t happen with me

Topher

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
& still you couldn’t stop loss or regrow any hair??
Nope, stopped hairloss maybe. But with dutasteride, RU, min, and micro-needling works well for me. I thought doing all orals dutasteride, spironolactone, min, would be supper easy, convenient, and grow alot of hair but it didn't.