Is oily hair a bad thing?

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
Or is it a good thing? or neither? After starting finasteride my scalp is getting a little oily, not too much though, just a little. Before finasteride I had the opposite problem, my scalp was too dry.

I don't know if It's preferable to let it be oily or not. Opinions?

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
only one. you? and have you noticed improvements on finasteride in terms of thickness?

baldymonk

Reaction score
No it has been a disaster because my hair loss was gradual over 8 years. it was very steady and more less had a full head of hair even though it was not thick. Coming to age 30 I thought it would be a good time to go on finasteride.

What happened was something I would never have dreamt of. It accelerated the hair loss ten fold. This could be coincidence. I have been on it well over a year. I think I am going to stop today taking it. Infact blow it. I am.

I have been living in cloud coo-coo land to think the hair that has been lost over the last year whilst on finasteride would grow back. Hair should grow back 3-4 months atleast. The fact the hairs not grown back after over a year then I beleive they are dead for ever.

Also finasteride is suppose to gradually slow down and hopefully stop male pattern baldness. Well you asked me what has happened with me and I am telling you that it is not slowing down male pattern baldness and is not going to stop the male pattern baldness one iota.

There is no harm in me stopping now. My hair loss cannot get any faster. Infact it is more or less all gone within 14 months.
Madness.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
No it has been a disaster because my hair loss was gradual over 8 years. it was very steady and more less had a full head of hair even though it was not thick. Coming to age 30 I thought it would be a good time to go on finasteride.

What happened was something I would never have dreamt of. It accelerated the hair loss ten fold. This could be coincidence. I have been on it well over a year. I think I am going to stop today taking it. Infact blow it. I am.

I have been living in cloud coo-coo land to think the hair that has been lost over the last year whilst on finasteride would grow back. Hair should grow back 3-4 months atleast. The fact the hairs not grown back after over a year then I beleive they are dead for ever.

Also finasteride is suppose to gradually slow down and hopefully stop male pattern baldness. Well you asked me what has happened with me and I am telling you that it is not slowing down male pattern baldness and is not going to stop the male pattern baldness one iota.

There is no harm in me stopping now. My hair loss cannot get any faster. Infact it is more or less all gone within 14 months.
Madness.

finasteride accelerated my balding x10 it feels like. Like you I had very gradual recession over 2-3 years, decided going on finasteride would help slow it down. Now I wake up everyday with itchy, oily scalp that I never had before trying it. Been off it for 6 months now and it shows no sign of returning to pre-finasteride rate. Wish they would've included that on the list of side effects, I wasn't worried about the sexual sides so much, i just didn't want it to make my hair worse. Now it has been permanently accelerated.

- - - Updated - - -

Also to the OP - oily hair is definitely a bad thing. Sebum production is increased by higher production or activity of DHT.

baldymonk

Reaction score
finasteride accelerated my balding x10 it feels like. Like you I had very gradual recession over 2-3 years, decided going on finasteride would help slow it down. Now I wake up everyday with itchy, oily scalp that I never had before trying it. Been off it for 6 months now and it shows no sign of returning to pre-finasteride rate. Wish they would've included that on the list of side effects, I wasn't worried about the sexual sides so much, i just didn't want it to make my hair worse. Now it has been permanently accelerated.

- - - Updated - - -

Also to the OP - oily hair is definitely a bad thing. Sebum production is increased by higher production or activity of DHT.

http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/archive/index.php/t-89308.html

Read this post by me.

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
Useful thread, thank you for helping! I don't have any particular persistent itch, and nizoral helps dry my hair back up. I am going to assume I am on a safe spot for now. Seems like nizoral is essential when on finasteride if you get a little oily.

Thanks again!

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
How long do you guys let it sit before rinsing it? I would leave it in for at least 10 minutes each shampoo before thorough rinse. I've left it in as long as 30 minutes. It helps, but it can dry hair/scalp out if practiced too regularly. Also don't forget to rotate your shampoo brands every month. Nizoral 1-3xpw.

ryan1

Reaction score
ive been on finasteride for about a month as well pretty noticeable increase in shedding but cant really see a difference on the scalp

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
That's normal and you may not see improvements for at least another 3-6 months. Keep at it consistently and let's hope for another success story.

andfost

Reaction score
I have always had oily hair and that is why I shampoo my hair everyday. I currently just use head and shoulders because of the 1% Pyrithione zinc and I swear I feel like its accelerating my shedding. I don't know how to feel but some say its normal

I.D WALKER

Reaction score
Wait until your hair is fully dry before you run a comb/brush thru it. Hair breaks even faster when wet. Not saying this I why you are shedding. Why aren't you seeking any treatment? Don't wait if you can help it. All my best.

Mr White

Established Member
Reaction score
Or is it a good thing? or neither? After starting finasteride my scalp is getting a little oily, not too much though, just a little. Before finasteride I had the opposite problem, my scalp was too dry.

I don't know if It's preferable to let it be oily or not. Opinions?

This is strange. I experienced the exact opposite: greasy hair before finasteride and normal hair afterwards.

I guess this shows, once again, that everyone is different and reactions to these drugs vary quite a lot.

Manchboy

Reaction score
I have very thin hair and when my hair gets oily/greasy it could also be due to the surface area is a lot smaller than before and it doesn't take as much grease to make my hair shiny? Could this make sense?

Armando Jose

My Regimen
Reaction score
oily hair can be tough especially if you are not so diligent in washing it! It can pose a lot of problems.

Not for rastafaris.
https://www.google.es/search?q=rast...ved=0CAYQ_AUoAWoVChMIsLGT_cagxwIVQj0aCh3khw5Z

- - - Updated - - -

I have very thin hair and when my hair gets oily/greasy it could also be due to the surface area is a lot smaller than before and it doesn't take as much grease to make my hair shiny? Could this make sense?

Yes, you are right. Another example is when we cut the hair, weeks after it our hair is more oily because there is less hair fiber to distribuite the sebum.

nick_17

Reaction score
I always feel that the shedding increases when my scalp gets oily.
It usually takes around 3 days for my scalp to get oily and that is when I wash it.