is obesity/skinyness choice for EVERYONE?

CCS

Reaction score
I consider myself poor, and I eat very healthy. I'm lucky to live by a grocery store that sells those big drums of oats for only $1.97, though. My grocery bill is $150 per month. I don't eat organic, but I eat lots of veggies and fruits and other variety. I just don't by the expensive stuff. I get the cheaper fresh stuff, and then get a lot of variety from frozen stuff, which is cheaper.

As for those big gulps, they are out of my price range. Can't blame that one on poverty. I'll spend a lot more than that on a date, but on myself for just one meal.

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
I am a guy with high metabolism, especially at winter when I am doing virtually nothing (except walking from one subway to another). My diet could varied but it could look like this:

2 croissants or any kind of bread, some fruit.
Lunch: Soup + some meat with potatoes or pizza
Afternoon: Some burgres, even menu at Donalds or KFC.
Dinner: Soup, pasta or something like that, when I am out of house and hungry second dinner like double menu at KFC.
1 litre of fruit juice, the rest tea or water + 1 litre of coca cola.

During day several chocolate bars, chips, ice-cream, just everything I could remember. Always had to have something sweet like chocolate bar after each meal.

tomas99

Established Member
Reaction score
KielMcK said:
Honestly I see more and more little fat kids all over the place. When I was in elementry school there were only like 3-4 fat kids in my class of 50. Now a days they are everywhere. I think people are just getting more disgusting.

That is very true. I am 24 and when I was 15 or younger, there was only one girl that was overweight. I do not mean even obese, but simply overweight. In other classes the same, like 1 person from 20 people that is 5%? It was really unusual.

Now when I check kids, there are at least 30% of them overweight. We did not eat in fast foods and our fun was sport, not playing computer games.

s.a.f

Reaction score
I've got to agree with CCS! :eek:
The cheapest food available is fruit and veg in the UK could probably but enough fruit and veg to live on for a week for the cost of a couple of 12" pizzas from a big high street chain. And homemade meals are always cheaper than pre packaged garbage. So money should'nt be an excuse for eating junk food and being obese.

wookster

Experienced Member
Reaction score
http://www.webmd.com/news/20070412/obes ... RSS_PUBLIC

April 12, 2007 -- Researchers today announced the discovery of the first common gene link to obesity.

They reviewed genetic data on more than 38,000 children and adults in the U.K. and Europe. A certain variation in the FTO gene was associated extra body fat, obesity, and type 2 diabetes.

Other studies show there are genetic links to obesity. But "the key thing about this finding is that this is a common variant, which is present in over half the population" studied, Andrew Hattersley, DM, FRCP, told reporters in a news conference.

bubka

Reaction score
and did over half of the non-fat kids have the gene?

wook, why do you post quotes in caps all the time like that? i think something is wrong with your computer

MidnightFlyer

Established Member
Reaction score
The obesity epidemic can be traced back directly to the introduction and ubiquitous use of - high fructose corn syrup.

Before this was introduced, there was no obesity epidemic.

G

Well I think it's a choice, at least for me. I have very slow metabolism and I'm almost like doomed to be fat. I could gain like 10 kg so easily if I'd stopped caring what I put into my mouth. My weight goes up and down very easily, it can change 5 kg in a week even without trying. I know it sounds crazy but that's how it is.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
im 6ft and i weigh about 155lbs ,just over 11st.......i have to eat A LOT to gain weight,i have once just about hit 12st or 168lbs but the moment i start to miss any food here n there i drop the weight.....................

CCS

Reaction score
I'm right in the middle.