is obesity/skinyness choice for EVERYONE?

CCS

Reaction score
Do some people's metabolisms rapidly adjust to their calorie intake, or first put the calories one place, and then let some go to blood sugar (fast insulin spike)?

I know a guy who says he has no pinchable fat on his body, even on his butt. And he can see all the small fibers in the muscles on his arms and chest. He claims to eat 7000 calories per day, and says that even when he pigged out on candy for 3 months and just played video games, he never gained a pound. He thinks that the more he eats, the higher his metabolism goes.

Jayman starved off most of his fat. Not sure if he exercised. Even though he got the body he wanted, his metabolism was down to 800 calories per day by the end. He estimated this from the fact he was eating 800 calories per day and not losing any weight for a few weeks.

I think this might affect 10% of the population, and most fat people just don't diet and exercise right. But maybe some of them just can't get rid of it, or need to take estrogen reducing drugs.

CCS

Reaction score
docj077 said:
Obesity is ABSOLUTELY NOT a choice for everyone.

what percentage of the population is it not a choice for? What is the mechanism that keeps them from losing weight?

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
What is the mechanism that keeps them from losing weight?

I think it's the mechanism of arm-stuffing-cakes-and-chips-into-gob.

CCS

Reaction score
There was an MSN article about a university study where they took 40 fat people and kept them in a lab, and the researchers gave them their food, which was planned. They also watched them and made sure they moved around planned amounts to reach a calculated 500 calories deficit per day. Half got it by eating 250 calories less and exerciseing 250 more, and half got it by just eating 500 less. Both groups lost the same amount of weight, which was equal to the predicted amount. 27% of the weight was muscle in both groups.

What are the odds that there are a significant percent of americans who can't help being fat, but that none of these ended up in the group of 40 people the researchers grabbed?

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
What are the odds that there are a significant percent of americans who can't help being fat, but that none of these ended up in the group of 40 people the researchers grabbed?

Exactly. Some people are lucky. I have a friend who is stick-thin and eats like the guy you mentioned. His metabolism (or whatever it is) is so fast that he'll occasionally need to go for a sh*t midway through a meal.

Mine is very slow, so I need to be careful what and how much I eat, just like most of those fat people (I imagine they have it worse, obv). I don't believe for a second that obesity is a "disease", at best it's a symptom of some other underlying mental problem.

Show me a fat person that eats a consistent, balanced, healthy diet in the bounds of their recommended daily calorie intake.

Felk

Reaction score
docj077 said:

what percentage of the population is it not a choice for? What is the mechanism that keeps them from losing weight?

Our bodies aren't designed to lose weight easily... that doesn't favour survival in the wild where food may be scarce.

In very basic terms:

As you lose weight, your brain senses through various "fatness signals" that your body fat reserves are depleting

The result, a decrease in metabolism, feelings of lethargy, an increase in appetite, hormonal changes that promote fat storage and lean tissue loss (IGF-1, thyroid hormone go down, cortisol goes up) etc... your body attempts to regain the weight

CCS

Reaction score
flimflam said:
Show me a fat person that eats a consistent, balanced, healthy diet in the bounds of their recommended daily calorie intake.

they can easily maintain. Show me someone who eats that good diet and still gains weight.

CCS

Reaction score
Felk said:
docj077 said:

Our bodies aren't designed to lose weight easily... that doesn't favour survival in the wild where food may be scarce.

In very basic terms:

As you lose weight, your brain senses through various "fatness signals" that your body fat reserves are depleting

The result, a decrease in metabolism, feelings of lethargy, an increase in appetite, hormonal changes that promote fat storage and lean tissue loss (IGF-1, thyroid hormone go down, cortisol goes up) etc... your body attempts to regain the weight

I doubt a fat deer could escape a big cat nearly as easily as a fit deer could.

s.a.f

Reaction score
He's talking about primitive Humans not animals.
Before supermarkets and mass farming techniques those who could store fat on their bodies had the best chance of survival.
Not everyone has the same amount of fat cells. This is all geneticly determined from birth and people just have naturally different builds aswell.
I know some big guys 250lb who are not fat their limbs are just extremly thick one guy I know cant buy a watch to fit around his wrist and his hands are like a bunch of bananas, his waist must be about 44' but its not like a roll of flab. He's about 6'3 and although he does'nt work out he has incredible strength. I've told him that he could do well in strongman competions if he was willing to go to the gym but he's not interested.

flimflam

Experienced Member
Reaction score
flimflam said:

they can easily maintain. Show me someone who eats that good diet and still gains weight.

heh, you misunderstood. again. :roll:

CCS

Reaction score
Do you guys think that the 2/3 of americans who are overweight is at all influenced by these genetics? My father said there were very few fat people when he was younger. I read a friend's research paper, and obesity started in the 80's. Before then it was less than 15%.

beaner

Reaction score
Do you guys think that the 2/3 of americans who are overweight is at all influenced by these genetics? My father said there were very few fat people when he was younger. I read a friend's research paper, and obesity started in the 80's. Before then it was less than 15%.

I recently read somewhere that the obesity rate in the US will be close to 100% by the middle of this century. I don't find that unbelievable either based on the herds I just saw at the supermarket.

KielMcK

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Honestly I see more and more little fat kids all over the place. When I was in elementry school there were only like 3-4 fat kids in my class of 50. Now a days they are everywhere. I think people are just getting more disgusting.

CCS

Reaction score
I just know if obesity was not common in the 80's, then people today can't blame genetics. Maybe 5% have a genetic problem.

Felk

Reaction score
Felk said:
docj077 said:

In very basic terms:

Yeah, and deer and humans are so perfectly comparable. The availability of primitive human food (meat, fruit, berries, nuts, vegetables) and the availability of deer food (grass) are also so perfectly comparable.

CCS can be so dense. Instead of focusing on the mechanisms i was explaining, CCS focused on the first brief explanation, as if that's what I was basing my explanation on. I'm basing it on what I'm learning at uni at the moment, so it's quite reliable.

powersam

Reaction score
Felk said:
docj077 said:

In very basic terms:

don't be so obtuse CCS. who would survive longer in a famine? someone who stored fat well or someone who didnt? the ability to eat a lot and burn it off fast would have been up until very recently a horrible evolutionary trait.

CCS

Reaction score
I just know if obesity was not common in the 80's, then people today can't blame genetics. Maybe 5% have a genetic problem.

maybe humans of the past had a fat preservation gene. Whatever. Look at the 80's. Not very many fat people. And we are genetically related to those poeple. so the people of today are fat by choice. Maybe 5% actually have a genetic problem. Why won't you give a rebuttal to that instead of going on side tangents?

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
I agree that genetics can lend toward obesity - but like CCS said, the percentage is small (compared to the entire population of overweight people).

No self-discipline, fast food, junk food, poor eating habits, and our fast paced world where people tend to go w/ processed foods over healthier foods are more likely the culprits.

Did you ever notice that when you see someone that's really overweight walking down the street - that they're more often than not carrying a "Big-Gulp" with them?

blueshard

Established Member
Reaction score
it is my belief that some people are subject to very slow metabolisms (genetic predisposition) and when you throw low income families in with this equation, you will find that the foods they can afford are awful for them (high in fat and starches).

once again the poor are in the gutter!