Is my hair thinning? 32 year old

ra12

My Regimen
Reaction score
I just had a haircut (after a long time) so it's quite a bit shorter than it was before. I'm wondering if my hair is normal or if it is thinning? (especially at the front and back?)

What do you guys think? I'm quite scared, so would really appreciate your opinions. I had some styling product in my hair which makes it lump together a bit, so if better pictures are needed let me know. Thanks!

Last edited:

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hard to say. I would visit a doctor. IMO it appears that there is some thinning but it's likely pretty slow and not aggressive. Can you pull the hairline back around your temple point and take pics of those?

ra12

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hard to say. I would visit a doctor. IMO it appears that there is some thinning but it's likely pretty slow and not aggressive. Can you pull the hairline back around your temple point and take pics of those?

Not sure if this is what you mean:

Last edited:

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Pretty much. There is some slight recession, but you basically have a mature hairline. There appears to be some miniaturization but not an aggressive amount. I would personally start preventative treatments. But you can check with a doctor of course for an official diagnosis.

ra12

My Regimen
Reaction score
Pretty much. There is some slight recession, but you basically have a mature hairline. There appears to be some miniaturization but not an aggressive amount. I would personally start preventative treatments. But you can check with a doctor of course for an official diagnosis.

Thank you! I'll probably see if I can make an appointment with a doctor. The main thing that made me post here was that it looked like my hair was thinner at the front, compared to before. I'm looking at old pictures anymore, and now I'm not so sure it looks worse than let's say a year ago..

Specifically this picuture, is the middle at the front thinning or normal?

Last edited:

Norwoody

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's hard to say for certain because everyone has different densities in their scalp, different thickness and texture of hair, etc. IMO there is some miniaturization though - see those smaller/shorter/thinner hairs at the very front of the hairline you can barely see? That means you have some follicles that are shrinking due to androgenic alopecia. The question is how severe is it? Probably not very severe since you haven't seen much of a change in a year.

ra12

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you feel its changed recently at all? whats brought on the sudden concern?

Trust your instincts I say...
So I felt after I had a haircut last week that the front part looked thinner (compared to the last time my hair was short). The problem is I’m not sure if it’s actually shorter or I just pay more attention to it because my hair is shorter. I had something similar where after shaving my chin I suddenly noticed a small brown spot, I was convinced I had never seen it before and it was new but I actually noticed later on pictures from years ago that brown spot was already there.

So to be sure I wanted to ask someone else’s opinion (you guys). In also have for at least a couple of years (3-5 years) that I noticed I lose a ton of hair every day, but so far it hasn’t impacted the way it looks much or at all. That’s why it’s also always lingering a bit in the back of my mind.

I wont lose this

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I lose a ton of hair every day, but so far it hasn’t impacted the way it looks much or at all
Enumerate this. More than 20 you would say?

WaccWaccWacc

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair is fine. Especially for 32. Odds are it will get thinner with time but nothing you should be worrying about currently. If you notice it start to get thinner within the next couple years you should start prevention treatments - assuming you want to hold on to it.

ra12

My Regimen
Reaction score
Enumerate this. More than 20 you would say?
Yes, especially after shower when I comb my hair in general there are like 10-50 coming out (some days just a couple, other days like 50). I've had this for quite some years by the way, not sure if it is more than usual.

Hair is fine. Especially for 32. Odds are it will get thinner with time but nothing you should be worrying about currently. If you notice it start to get thinner within the next couple years you should start prevention treatments - assuming you want to hold on to it.
That's good to hear, but I'm posting one last picture. Is this normal?

Although hair is wet & combed (and directly under the light).

Last edited:

ra12

My Regimen
Reaction score
Norwood 1. Your corners don't even meet your side burns (if you don't understand I'll draw it). You are getting some grey hair though, that can effect the look of your hair and even the feel of your hair.

Also, it can be completely normal to have some thinner or shorter hairs along the hairline, especially in the corners, just look at children, women, and even many many men. It's when this starts to push back that you know it's hair loss. Almost nobody has a hair line of perfect density and is a hard ridge, especially a Norwood 0 or Norwood 1. Often when men that do have a perfect hard ridged hairline, it is because they lost their softer corners, but not always.

[Exclude black men, they literally square their hairline. Either by sharing the softer lower hairs away or by spraying product to fill in hair loss]

Basically, you appear to be a Norwood 1 and have no hair loss. Definitely keep taking pictures every 1, 3, or 6 months and watch. Make sure you take them from the front, the side, and straight down from the top. If you did take 0.25mg a day of finasteride, at this point it would only be as a prevention.

Thank you so much for your very informative reply, much appreciated! Drawing it on the picture made it very clear. I'm not taking any medicine at the moment, but I guess it is also not needed for now? Norwood 1 is this considered to be 'normal' or the start of hair loss to come?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Impossible to say. Some people are Norwood 0 juvenile, some are Norwood 1, and some people are even Norwood 2 juvenile. Norwood 1 on the scale is described as

"This traditionally represents an adolescent hairline. It is not actually balding, but is the first stage in maturing from a teenage hairline to an adult male hair line."

See how that is a bit of a confusing description? So most people use Norwood 0 as well to help distiguish. So for some a Norwood 1 can be your juvenile hairline but it could also be the first stage of maturing. It depends on the individual. So if you used to be a Norwood 0 and became a Norwood 1 then you had a tiny bit of loss, but that doesn't mean you'll go on to lose more. If you were always a Norwood 1 then that is your juvenile hairline. There is no way to know for sure where it could end up. You could stay where you are for decades or for your entire life. All you can do is watch it and check pictures every 1 to 3 months and try not to obsess. For right now you have really great hair. Also, try to just take the pictures (front, sides, top, pulled back. Try not to let camera distortion freak you out. In some photos your forehead looks correct, in others it will distort it to look huge). Do it by schedule and not assess in the mirror all the time. The mirror can cause panic attacks. That thing is a total mind destroyer.

Edit: One more piece of advise. Stay away from here. For real. You don't need to come back here after reading this. Maybe in a year if you want to update or compare. But this place is toxic and mind bending to the 10th power.
Agree. Leave now and come back in a year. You are not showing anything more than a mature hairline. Your hair is fine.

ra12

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I really appreciate your responses. I will stop worrying about it, and I'll come back in a year or so for comparison. Thanks again!