Is minoxidil good enuff? Dont think i cant take finasteride anymore

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hairhoper said:
Ripple you have too much faith in these topical antiandrogens. Azelaic acid, topical saw palmetto... where are the success stories?

I've been using a topical DHT inhibitor with these 2 ingredients contained within it successfully for the past 3 years. This is why I'm a strong advocate. There was enough evidence for me to take the chance with natural topical DHT inhibitors a few years back despite what people were/are saying on these forums. So now I'm just doing my part and letting people know they have better options.

delboud

Reaction score
Ripple, what was your regimen then and what is it now if you don't mind me asking.

The 15% minoxidil will be here tmw, cant wait to start it, guess I should find some nizoral today huh

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
delboud said:
Ripple, what was your regimen then and what is it now if you don't mind me asking.

Ripple?

ripple-effect said:
Natural is the way to go :hump:

Pretty daft statement. If that isn't blind faith I don't know what is.

Effective and safe treatments are the way to go.

If you can prove Saw Palmetto and Azelaic acid are as effective as finasteride and safer then fine, but somehow I very much doubt you're going to be able to deliver the goods on that one.

Are you still going to be sticking to your 'natural is best' motto when CB-03-01 hits the market?

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
delboud said:
I would assume 15% is better so i dont mind, im just saying why isnt popular brands like rogaine using this amount?

That's a very good, very perceptive question that you're asking! :)

Despite many many years of use by people who are losing their hair, the makers of Rogaine have never been interested in testing versions with higher percentages of minoxidil (like 10% to 15% or so). Nor have such tests ever been done by independent researchers, and published in medical journals. Why do you suppose that's never been done? I think the answer is screamingly obvious: BECAUSE HIGHER PERCENTAGES SIMPLY DON'T WORK ANY BETTER than ordinary Rogaine. Or at the very least, not well enough to pay the much higher cost of making such a product, and the higher prices that would entail.

Everybody should smart-up a little, and not be duped by the makers of these products that have higher numbers than ordinary Rogaine. In the words of a great American: "There's a sucker born every minute." P. T. Barnum

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
TravisB said:
Is this azelaic acid thing enough to block DHT? I've read that it has been tested in vitro, but not in vivo, and there is no proof that this blocks DHT in the human scalp.

EXACTLY! It's never been tested as a topical application on living animals, and shown to inhibit 5a-reductase (reduce DHT, in other words). In fact, there's a fair amount of indirect experimental evidence that it does NOT do that: the majority of studies that tested topical azelaic acid against acne showed that it had no effect on sebum production in skin, which wouldn't be the expected result if it were really suppressing DHT.

In other words, there's both no evidence that it works, and separate evidence that it doesn't work.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Oops! Double-post. Sorry.

delboud

Reaction score
Great that just contradicted the last page or so, so there nobody here that had sucess with the higher concentration and acid... so at the point of just hoping the minoxidil is enough again?

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
there is no point mate. if you already have an unnaceptable amount of hairloss where it effects your self esteem or your life to the point where you seek support of an internet forum then you shouldn't give up on finasteride. there's no magic topicals face it guys or else rogaine would have manufactured them in a new formula. finasteride fights the cause and we're lucky to live in a time where drugs like finasteride are available to us, so don't look the gift horse in the mouth so fast unless the sides are just so unbearable u cannot go on with life. but the fact is finasteride is safe for what it does and even if it wasn't. i don;t sell finasteride or work for merck or anything like that its not a scam, i'm a long time user who has experienced my share of sides but at the end of the day my hair has not changed very much since i started finasteride 7 years ago and i'm satisfied with that. i dont even think i would stop taking it if i got male breast cancer LOL

delboud

Reaction score
We just have different priorities, if it gave me brest cancer i will stop since my life it more important than hair. Just like i think burning every time i urinate and a dead sex drive it kind of a big deal.

I just wish i didnt have these side.

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
burning when you urinate? that sounds really serious, has anyone heard of finasteride causing burning when you urinate? i would go see a doctor regardless of how sure you are about finasteride causing said side effects. its these kinds of horror stories that discourage people from using finasteride.

slurms mackenzie

Established Member
Reaction score
delboud said:
We just have different priorities, if it gave me brest cancer i will stop since my life it more important than hair. Just like i think burning every time i urinate and a dead sex drive it kind of a big deal.

I've never heard of burning when you urinate as being a propecia problem, low libido for sure.

Could be an STD, I've been told they no longer use the umbrella to scrape.

delboud

Reaction score
sir chugalot said:
delboud said:

I've never heard of burning when you urinate as being a propecia problem, low libido for sure.

Could be an STD, I've been told they no longer use the umbrella to scrape.

Got tested all was neg, quit taking it and it went away, started again and it started to come back.

TheLastHairbender

Established Member
Reaction score
Re: Is minoxidil good enuff? Dont think i can take finasteride anymore

ripple-effect said:
3/19/11 - BEFORE
617zBOzCmWL.jpg

6/19/11 - AFTER
61KI7xMEFOL.jpg

^^^ hair is starting to fill in after 3 months. Good way to avoid propecia side effects :hump:

Sorry but I don't really believe these pics. That improvement can be the difference between flash-off (first pic) and flash-on (second pic). Plus, the fan, window shades, and the bottom of the door just under the guy's head are all in exactly the same positions (note that the angle is different when looking at the fan, and in the flash-off picture you can still see the window shades are down by looking at the right side of the far right window).

I have pics that show improvement in 10 seconds just by messing the hair up and turning the flash on:

Before:
B%2525202%252520uns.jpg

10 seconds later:
B3%2525201%252520st%252520W.jpg

Of course I'm not saying that 15% minoxidil doesn't work, just that these pics are suspect.

Receding89

Established Member
Reaction score
http://www.ebay.ie/itm/350449379306?ssP ... 1439.l2648

Is the 10% Minoxidl with Azelaic acid and dht blocker good enough on its own? Or should I use the rogaine foam with it aswel? Be nice if I could just use the 10% minoxidil with the dht blocker as its a lot cheaper and easier to get right on my scalp. Also if I should use the rogaine with it, should I use it before or after I apply the azelaic acid and should I wash out the azelaic acid before I use it the next time as it makes my hair quite sticky/greasy.
Thanks

TheLastHairbender

Established Member
Reaction score
I don't think you should be using 10% minoxidil IN ADDITION to Rogaine. Using that formula would be replacing your use of Rogaine. Using them both would probably just increase the cost and your risk of minoxidil's side effects, and be a huge PITA.

It also looks like it contains Retinol, which may lead to better results but may also increase irritation. I know some people get irritation from it, but I think the jury is still out on whether it truly improves the effectiveness of minoxidil. Just fyi.

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Re: Is minoxidil good enuff? Dont think i can take finasteride anymore

TheLastHairbender said:
ripple-effect said:
3/19/11 - BEFORE
617zBOzCmWL.jpg

6/19/11 - AFTER
61KI7xMEFOL.jpg

^^^ hair is starting to fill in after 3 months. Good way to avoid propecia side effects :hump:

Sorry but I don't really believe these pics. That improvement can be the difference between flash-off (first pic) and flash-on (second pic). Plus, the fan, window shades, and the bottom of the door just under the guy's head are all in exactly the same positions (note that the angle is different when looking at the fan, and in the flash-off picture you can still see the window shades are down by looking at the right side of the far right window).

I have pics that show improvement in 10 seconds just by messing the hair up and turning the flash on:

Before:
B%2525202%252520uns.jpg

10 seconds later:
B3%2525201%252520st%252520W.jpg

Of course I'm not saying that 15% minoxidil doesn't work, just that these pics are suspect.

First of all, your hair does not look improved in the 2nd pic. 2nd of all flash actually makes your hair look WORSE not better. Noticing these little things in the background give really no credible basis to the argument. Maybe he likes his shades down and door open.

hairhoper

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Ripple is full of sh*t.

'Natural' topical 5-ar inhibitors have zero proof behind them and there are NO success stories in these forums of anyone even maintaining on them.

Ripple quit with your troll lies, you're hurting people with the false hope you're giving them, azelaic acid and topical saw palmetto are absolute bullshit, it doesn't work. Stay on finasteride.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
TheLastHairbender said:
It also looks like it contains Retinol, which may lead to better results but may also increase irritation. I know some people get irritation from it, but I think the jury is still out on whether it truly improves the effectiveness of minoxidil. Just fyi.

Do you know what "retinol" is? It's just another name for vitamin A, like what you get in food and vitamin tablets. Are you confusing "retinol" with "Retin-A"? :dunno:

ripple-effect

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hairhoper said:
Ripple is full of sh*t.

'Natural' topical 5-ar inhibitors have zero proof behind them and there are NO success stories in these forums of anyone even maintaining on them.

Ripple quit with your troll lies, you're hurting people with the false hope you're giving them, azelaic acid and topical saw palmetto are absolute bullshit, it doesn't work. Stay on finasteride.

Only a troll would throw flame words in his posts and use no basis in his arguments. You apparently are too lazy to search the forum and assume there are no success stories. Wasn't it you that had "Saw Palmetto is not safe nor effective" in your signature and then ended up taking it down when I wasted time proving to you that your statement was hypocritical? That's what I thought. I will not waste my time again with you. It is up to you to figure it out yourself. I will not spoon feed a closed-minded kid that uses his opinion instead of a strong basis to state his claims.

This is what hairhoper is a proponent of:
hairhoper said:
Stay on finasteride.
[youtube:2abbqifa]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAZ3-t7vJeg&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:2abbqifa]