Is male pattern baldness Is The Worse Thing That Can Happen To A Young Man

IS male pattern baldness the worst thing to can happen to a young man?

• Total voters

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Get the f*** out with your rigged poll.

Neither of the possible answers are correct. The correct answer is "No, it's not the worst thing that can happen but it can be very serious and debilitating, and confidence will not help."

shookwun

Reaction score
Have to be willing to do whatever it takes.

I refuse to go bald. In fact I never will.

Despite loosing hair which is envitable, I have the option and luxury in big able to afford many transplants and hair systems if that's the case.

Being bald, and poor would be the absolute worst. Not much substance to one's life after that in a metropolis city. My as well pack the bags & live of the grid in a village. Buy someone's daughter and raise her as your own. Breed it.

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Being bald, and poor would be the absolute worst. .

Wouldn't be so bad. Just be confident brah. Women love poor, bald men as long as they have a good heart.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
My as well pack the bags & live of the grid in a village. Buy someone's daughter and raise her as your own. Breed it.

Amazing

CopeForLife

My Regimen
Reaction score
People post this kind of nonsense on Reddit.

These comments get upvoted into the stratosphere and any 'negative' (read realistic) comment will be attacked with something alone those lines:

"It's not your baldness, no wonder women don't want you with that attitude, hair loss is the least of your problem! Women want a real man, not a crybaby."

It's a bit offtopic, but rate this most upvoted cope, it's brilliant!

"Ugly" people get out of there house and do day to day activities because that's just what you do. You take the cards you are dealt and get on with your life. These "ugly" people are generally the most awesome people ever because they are not caught up on their appearance and everyone else's. They know there is more to life. Personally I'm glad to be fat and ugly. I can see the more to life.

https://www.reddit.com/r/offmychest/comments/21zere/i_feel_really_really_bad_for_ugly_people_and/

buckthorn

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
"It's not your baldness, no wonder women don't want you with that attitude, hair loss is the least of your problem! Women want a real man, not a crybaby."

I wish I could "love" this, because in my own experiences, it's painfully true. I have been losing my hair like a chemo patient for a couple years now. I have interacted with women, and i have been forced to talk about it, one way or another. The responses I've received are a lot like this. Word for word -

"Just shave it and make it a non issue" response - "so, being bald with a red, 6" scar is a 'non issue'?"

"You know what your problem is, you need to stop feeling bad for yourself" response - "I never said I felt bad for myself, I just feel bad"

"You will look good no matter what" response - "You don't actually know that"

I have been hanging out with this girl lately that's more realistic than the other fake b*tches. She said, "I don't know if I will still be attracted to you, but I'll support you and if it makes you feel better about yourself, go for it".

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
I see this trotted out a lot here. Do people really give a sh*t about sympathy, understanding from other people/society that much compared to the debilitating physical effects of Crohn's or the significant cosmetic impact of male pattern baldness? It barely comes into the equation for me.

Alopecia universalis/totalis is a better comparison with male pattern baldness. Both painless, have no impact on your health or physical quality of life. Yet some people here say they would take AU over male pattern baldness, despite AU being worse aesthetically, because people recognise it as a "real" disease and would be more sympathetic. f*** that.

Sympathy is perhaps my desirable, but how others perceive you is VERY important. People don't perceive you as less capable or less desirable if you have Crohn's, they do if you have male pattern baldness. I never mentioned AU, it is worse in that it affects facial hair and eyebrows too, but it is viewed less harshly, consciously and sub consciously, and viewed as a genuine medical condition rather than just genetic inferiority. In terms of public, conscious and sub conscious perception, male pattern baldness is worse.

shookwun

Reaction score
Once you have a transplant, you will want another. That before and after, along with improving your aesthetics makes you want it more. Self-improvement can be addicting and hair is a quick way to alter your appearance heavily.

I am at a point now where I am happy with the hairline, temple points and structure but I want to have a final transplant to add density all over. I don't think it will be a final but it will buy me many years of enjoyment.

Nothing in life is guaranteed, and life long. That seems to be the arumen behind transplants. What is permanent? Nothing in life is. Make the most of what you got now before you become the 'what if guy'

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
The way I see it, if a transplant gets you to a point where 30% of people react negatively to your hair situation instead of 70%, that's a big win just there.

Unfortunately, there is no "win" button when it comes to baldness that restores your life to exactly what it would be with thick NW1 hair. There are only partial solutions and bandaids that mitigate the aesthetic impact. Aesthetically minded people who are gifted in this department and used to picking apart others' looks would laugh at his transplant as they no doubt laugh at my combover. However, for many people, Fred now looks like he has hair and that is enough for them to bring him out of the "bald" category. 1/300 of girls will give him a chance versus 1/750. This is how you should think about fighting baldness. "All or nothing" approach gets you to insanity real fast.

I don't think anyone would laugh at your comb over. I remember you saying you make a lot of effort to make it look like that but it does look natural so I wouldn't worry. Of course, if a girl is picking it apart literally, a different story. I think you wrote about a girl who did this. I haven't seen you without the comb over so I don't know how extensive it is.

Long live the combover lol

Jk, can't wait to retire this sh*t. Way too much work and stress, although it's necessary right now to avoid this embarrassing social stigma.

Since I moved back to my home state and out of the area where my social circle had me labeled as balding, growing my hair out more and perfecting the combover has done wonders. At the moment I've come to a point of length and skill where I do believe even norwood spotters would have a challenge proving I'm balding without literally touching my hair. I'm 99% sure no one in my life right now knows I have male pattern baldness except my parents and 1 close friend I had a conversation with about it.

If you have "bandaids" at your disposal, you should use them if you're serious about avoiding this stigma

I think the next time I'll be at serious risk of being exposed as a balding man will be when I probably get my hair cut short around a month pre-transplant, as I want it to be less of a shock factor to draw attention when I'm sporting a shaved head after the surgery. I'll be growing my facial hair out at this time as well in an effort to keep as much attention as possible off my forehead lol

Ricochet Rabbit

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, I used to be THE long-haired guy in my school and at parties I've never needed to make the first move, there would always be some hot girls hitting on me. Guess how losing my hair has impacted my life? I might write about myself at some point.

shookwun

Reaction score
Long live the combover lol

Jk, can't wait to retire this sh*t. Way too much work and stress, although it's necessary right now to avoid this embarrassing social stigma.

Since I moved back to my home state and out of the area where my social circle had me labeled as balding, growing my hair out more and perfecting the combover has done wonders. At the moment I've come to a point of length and skill where I do believe even norwood spotters would have a challenge proving I'm balding without literally touching my hair. I'm 99% sure no one in my life right now knows I have male pattern baldness except my parents and 1 close friend I had a conversation with about it.

If you have "bandaids" at your disposal, you should use them if you're serious about avoiding this stigma

I think the next time I'll be at serious risk of being exposed as a balding man will be when I probably get my hair cut short around a month pre-transplant, as I want it to be less of a shock factor to draw attention when I'm sporting a shaved head after the surgery. I'll be growing my facial hair out at this time as well in an effort to keep as much attention as possible off my forehead lol
It can be enough to fool people in certain lighting but when you create a hairline with a comb over it will look off from profile view.

Have you seen what your comb over looks like outdoors when it's sunny?

Also, how long is your hair

Post pictures of comy over

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Comb overs to add density work, even people with no hair loss do it for volume.
Comb overs to recreate a hairline never work. It's a good way to get the wrong kind of attention.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
The forward comb over can definitely conceal a Norwood three hairline. And this guy has
more than that. Sometimes things as simple as a forward comb over can make a big difference
in how thick someone's hair looks.

This is really a good option for guys that still have thick hair on top, even if there is a lot
of hair loss on the temples and minor loss on the vertex.
Lots of full head guys do it too. But they tend to gel the fringe up rather than letting it cover their hairlines.

Señor AIDidaS

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
@Señor AIDidaS, who actually has IBD (and lucked into male pattern baldness as well), might shed some light on this.

If I had the choice, I'd take a healthy colon every day of the week. I have ulcerative colitis though, which is horrible, but not as bad as Crohn's. Crohn's can develop anywhere in your digestive tract, but UC is limited to the colon, thank God. But still, it's the one thing I hate about my life the most. More than being short, and more than losing hair. I sh*t blood and slough off colon lining every day, a constant reminder that I'm sick. My urgency is horrible, and I always need to be near a bathroom. When something makes me nervous, I have to run off to the bathroom. Important tests, cute girls, anything sets me off. I have horrible gas, and cramping to go along with it. There's also bloating that occurs randomly, and is very visible. I've worked hard to lose weight, but on my bloaty days, I look like a dumpy loser all over again, and it hurts to look at.

This isn't true for everyone with UC, but mine is unmanageable. Medicinal enemas, suppositories, steroids, it's all been in my system. I'll probably need a colostomy bag at some point in my life, it's basically just a waiting game now. No thanks. This is far more detrimental to my life and confidence than hair loss could ever be. Not to mention the increased cancer risk. It's only slightly higher than a normal person's now, but it gets higher each year following diagnosis. I've had it for 3 years.

Last edited: