Is It To Ridiculous To Consider A Hair Transplant When You're A Nw2?

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Pretty much the title. I have a NW2, 2.5 at worst. I've also begun noticing some density going on the top of my head, mostly near the front of my hairline. I'm hesitant to try finasteride due to sides and have begun considering a hair transplant to go back to a NW1. Would this be a bad idea? Would top surgeons even be willing to do this on me?

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
it's not necessarily a bad idea but without a treatment that will halt your hair loss you will keep on losing hair even after the transplant, so a transplant will only buy you so much time before your hair starts looking bad again because you will keep losing hair around the transplanted hair.

and you can send email with pictures of your hair to surgeons around the world for feedback, it's usually free

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Pretty much the title. I have a NW2, 2.5 at worst. I've also begun noticing some density going on the top of my head, mostly near the front of my hairline. I'm hesitant to try finasteride due to sides and have begun considering a hair transplant to go back to a NW1. Would this be a bad idea? Would top surgeons even be willing to do this on me?
Depends on your age and your genetic history. And how much it bothers you each day. I do think it would be more expensive in the long run if you are not willing to take finasteride to protect whatever hair you have now. You must be fairly young to want a NW1. I think to better answer your question show your current situation and state your age.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
it's not necessarily a bad idea but without a treatment that will halt your hair loss you will keep on losing hair even after the transplant, so a transplant will only buy you so much time before your hair starts looking bad again because you will keep losing hair around the transplanted hair.

and you can send email with pictures of your hair to surgeons around the world for feedback, it's usually free
Yeah that is my biggest concern, shelling out all that money and then losing more hair behind it.

Depends on your age and your genetic history. And how much it bothers you each day. I do think it would be more expensive in the long run if you are not willing to take finasteride to protect whatever hair you have now. You must be fairly young to want a NW1. I think to better answer your question show your current situation and state your age.
Yeah I'm in my mid 20's. I will most likely post a thread soon showing the current state of my hairline, I have some old pictures in my post history though. From what I know, no one in my family is a slick NW7. No one is really anything past NW4 I believe, but a lot do lose density and tend to flatten out around a NW3 or 4.

It really does bother me a ton and is something I think about a lot more than I care to admit. That's why I thought to just save up and get the procedure. Part of me is hoping some treatments will come out before my hairloss gets too bad, but the way things are going I'm not too optimistic.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Yeah that is my biggest concern, shelling out all that money and then losing more hair behind it.

Yeah I'm in my mid 20's. I will most likely post a thread soon showing the current state of my hairline, I have some old pictures in my post history though. From what I know, no one in my family is a slick NW7. No one is really anything past NW4 I believe, but a lot do lose density and tend to flatten out around a NW3 or 4.

It really does bother me a ton and is something I think about a lot more than I care to admit. That's why I thought to just save up and get the procedure. Part of me is hoping some treatments will come out before my hairloss gets too bad, but the way things are going I'm not too optimistic.
If you really think it will make a huge difference in your life then it might be something to consider. But hopefully once you fix that issue, another issue does not become the center of your focus. Do you have BDD? Or self esteem issues? Have you had people make comments about your hair? Do you have problems styling your hair?

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
If you really think it will make a huge difference in your life then it might be something to consider. But hopefully once you fix that issue, another issue does not become the center of your focus. Do you have BDD? Or self esteem issues? Have you had people make comments about your hair? Do you have problems styling your hair?
I am very self conscious about it and I would say I do have self esteem issues. My hairline is starting to get to the point where it's becoming noticeable even when I do style it, no one has pointed it out yet but it's pretty obvious in pictures I think.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I am very self conscious about it and I would say I do have self esteem issues. My hairline is starting to get to the point where it's becoming noticeable even when I do style it, no one has pointed it out yet but it's pretty obvious in pictures I think.
Take it from someone who has been exactly in your shoes. Learn to focus on what you do like about yourself. I would try to wait until people start noticing it before you do anything. The longer you wait, the better candidate you will be. I have been planning on getting a hair transplant for over 10 years and never pulled the trigger. The reason is I have been able to maintain fairly well on hair loss treatments.

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
Take it from someone who has been exactly in your shoes. Learn to focus on what you do like about yourself. I would try to wait until people start noticing it before you do anything. The longer you wait, the better candidate you will be. I have been planning on getting a hair transplant for over 10 years and never pulled the trigger. The reason is I have been able to maintain fairly well on hair loss treatments.
What are you currently on?

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair transplant should be the caboose of your journey. You've exhausted all the available options you are willing to embrace the surgery choice. But it's not a cure. Hair cloning is not there yet. Your weak hair will continue falling so you are shifting the burden a few years away on what you should be doing now by trying to maintain. The other dilemma is being happy with the results you will get because each step will deplete your donor area till there is no more. not and continue on the same obsessive journey you already have been on to keep fixing the problem. I think finding sn honest doctor who can orient you with your choices without over promising and overselling you stuff is the biggest issue you will face in this industry.

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Why is that a secret? You ask questions about transplant but put a big mystery on what would be the trade-off? I don't get it!
No secret. I have posted my treatments so many times on this forum. I get tired of repeating myself over and over. This is his thread not mine. I did not create this thread. He is asking the questions about the transplant. Not me. I did my research. Now I am trying to help him since I was on the fence about the same situation. And who doesn't love a good mystery from time to time.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hint there is a regimen field on your profile page. That could ease your pain writing it over and over.

John Difool

My Regimen
Reaction score
Zix to maintain? Hopefully the doctor he consults with at the hair transplant clinic can provide him with better suited and professional advices. Transplant is a commitment and when ready for it one should understand the ecosystem around keeping what you are fixing in reasonable shape.

@Pigeon You continue not disappointing in your crazy advices. Keep up the great work!

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
If it is bothering you that much & would give you piece of mind do it. I was 25 when I got mine in 2017 , I have maintained since with microneedling/minoxidil. Just don't go to a con man surgeon

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
If it is bothering you that much & would give you piece of mind do it. I was 25 when I got mine in 2017 , I have maintained since with microneedling/minoxidil. Just don't go to a con man surgeon
Sorry for all the questions but since we're in a similar spot I figured I'd ask.

How were the results and how many grafts did you use? What was the cost and was it FUE or FUT? What Norwood were you before and how about after?

spring15

My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry for all the questions but since we're in a similar spot I figured I'd ask.

How were the results and how many grafts did you use? What was the cost and was it FUE or FUT? What Norwood were you before and how about after?

My results were decent, I think I set my expectations too high though. I was about NW2.5, 2700 grafts , FUE cost 2000 Euros. Three years on I'm NW1 , no regular person can tell I had hair loss. Wish I started needling earlier.. like when I turned 20 :D

HNMB

Established Member
Reaction score
My results were decent, I think I set my expectations too high though. I was about NW2.5, 2700 grafts , FUE cost 2000 Euros. Three years on I'm NW1 , no regular person can tell I had hair loss. Wish I started needling earlier.. like when I turned 20 :D
What do you mean by your expectations were too high? What parts of the procedure were underwhelming?

Haironnu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

how did you manage to maintain without finasteride? your hair loss is probably slow if you maintain your hair on minoxidil only, especially since minoxidil doesn't stop the hair loss progress