Is Finasteride Doing Anything? [7 Month Update]

DoubleDooty

My Regimen
Reaction score
Previous Thread Here

(I'm attaching a photo from 7 months ago to one I took yesterday below and two close ups of my hairline as of late. The blonder hair photo is from 7 months ago. I know the lighting is different, sorry.)

long story short: I can't tell if it's working but I'm going to stick with it for at least another year.

I'm around a Norwood 1.5 I think? I started finasteride (1mg) a day a little over two months ago per my dermatologists recommendation after using Minoxidil for about a year before that. I started Nizoral shampoo about a month ago. I'm now 7 months, 1 week, and few days in and some days I think it's working then other's I feel like it's doing nothing at all and in fact worsening. If I'm going to bald as quickly as I think I am going to then I want to just shave my head before it gets bad and be done with my hair now and forever.

I shed normally (I THINK! Please let me know if it sounds like too much) around 10-30 hairs when I get ready in the morning and maybe another 10-20 throughout the day and maybe a few I can't count at night.

It sickens me to see my hairline as I literally can't tell if I've receded further. I went to two doctors a month ago and they said to keep it up and I am, every day. I feel like it looks much worse. I can't tell if shed hairs are growing back along my hairline (I went through a shed that lasted about a month but wasn't too severe and has since gotten better) or if there is further miniaturization. The shorter hairs are growing but I can't tell if it's finasteride working. I also can't even tell if it's KEEPING the hair I have/had as I literally can't tell if it's better. The derm and my gp both said to keep going but I couldn't tell if that meant I wasn't responding or if that meant I was and should be encouraged to continue. I asked about duasteride and they said not yet...

Advice would be awesome. I scower these forums almost every night and get very anxious all the time. It's kind of all consuming because I'd rather just know now if I should do the big shave. Help, please, lol.

Screen Shot 2017-12-03 at 23.58.57.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 00.06.22.png

Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 00.08.27.png
Screen Shot 2017-12-04 at 00.08.33.png

Last edited:

Recon_s

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
hard to tell with these shots plus the long hair? did you just take fina for the hairline or was the crown thinning also??

DoubleDooty

My Regimen
Reaction score
hard to tell with these shots plus the long hair? did you just take fina for the hairline or was the crown thinning also??

Just for the hairline. When I got examined in April they said there was no visible thinning in the crown so finasteride was just for my hairline.

pizzamanluigi

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You haven't receded any more, if anything the right pic looks a little thicker, but it is hard to tell with just a few picture.

Dude your hair looks really good right now. Shave it if you want, that might help you stress out less about it. Sounds like you are being a little obsessive with your hairloss, because if anything it looks like your hair is improving or stabilized. I havent taken dutasteride, so I cant give much advise on that, but it seems like the current regimen you are on is doing its job.

DoubleDooty

My Regimen
Reaction score
You haven't receded any more, if anything the right pic looks a little thicker, but it is hard to tell with just a few picture.

Dude your hair looks really good right now. Shave it if you want, that might help you stress out less about it. Sounds like you are being a little obsessive with your hairloss, because if anything it looks like your hair is improving or stabilized. I havent taken dutasteride, so I cant give much advise on that, but it seems like the current regimen you are on is doing its job.

Thanks, I sort of realized how manic I've gotten about it after I posted this. Your response solidified that. I was just so unsure because of the hairs that have been appearing as of late but I'm just going to hope. We'll see, I'll try to keep it up.

centurie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Remember no change is good change. If you’re struggling to notice any changes that’s good as maintenance is success.

In regards to the photos, try and take photos with slicked back wet hair as I t’s easier to notice any difference. Take the photos from the same angles every 3-6months to monitor your hair.

Go out and enjoy life brother, Goodluck!

DoubleDooty

My Regimen
Reaction score
8-ish month update here (a little more):

Lots of smaller hairs all along my hairline, here is a comparison between April (Left) and 3 days ago (Right) of a spot on my hairline w/ a mole I used for reference. I think the new hairs growing are thicker, also a little paranoid there has been further miniaturization and that they are going, going, and going. Mostly looking for reassurance.
edcjce.jpg

AnxiousAndy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Looks like you are at least maintaining. Lucky guy, finasteride made my hair loss worse.