Is complementing someone's hair in front of a bald man an indirect insult?

Deadman1

Established Member
Reaction score
No difference between a hairpiece and women wearing makeup everywhere they go.

Wrong. Women wear make up to enhance their features, ie thicker eyelashes, eyebrows, lips. They don't wear make up to replace something that isn't there. That's the difference. How man guys want a bald women with a wig?

SDK

Established Member
Reaction score
So I guess using Toppik is more comparable to that.

I still don't see why it's so looked down upon to get a hairpiece, especially when you're younger. Sure, deal with it when you're 40, it's normal then. But to be slick bald in your 20s...I wouldn't even blink if my friend who is like that decided to get a piece. You're only in your 20s once.

DoneWithIt

Established Member
Reaction score
What is it about hair that people take so much pride in and put so much stock into and responsibility for?

I think you just answered your own question by posting this in the first place. Hair is important to you, so why shouldn't be important to others. Unfortunately for us a full head of hair is a symbol of youth and success. Just look at TV. All the heroes have good hair, while the baldies are often villains. Sad but true.

hellouser

My Regimen
Reaction score
Wrong. Women wear make up to enhance their features, ie thicker eyelashes, eyebrows, lips. They don't wear make up to replace something that isn't there. That's the difference. How man guys want a bald women with a wig?

Oh, so thats where you draw the line in terms of fakery from women? Nevermind the fake nails, fake eyelashes, fake faces with makup... but fake hair? OH HELL NO!

Benjamin36

Established Member
Reaction score
[video=youtube;sJfFGgzhfhY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJfFGgzhfhY[/video]

They don't wear make up to replace something that isn't there.

In some cases they are replacing many things. I have seen a lot of girls who are unrecognizeable without makeup and who wouldn't be attracting the amount of attention they are without the makeup.

Last edited:

ghg

My Regimen
Reaction score
Oh, so thats where you draw the line in terms of fakery from women? Nevermind the fake nails, fake eyelashes, fake faces with makup... but fake hair? OH HELL NO!

You forgot fake tan... most women look so ****ing plastic and artificial themselves but men are still not allowed to wear wigs etc. Anyway, I think most of the **** for wearing a wig would come from men with full heads of hair!

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
So, update on that earlier situation... She dumped her current boyfriend for this co worker guy she was so frequently flirting with. It's so obvious that they are dating now that everyone at work knows and can't believe that a girl so beautiful would choose a skinny, geeky guy like him. Good for him. I can't see it lasting very long though. Maybe someone might even get fired over this! So I'm going to grab a lawn chair, sit back, relax and watch the burning zeplin plummet.

SDK

Established Member
Reaction score
Men are expected to just man up and accept it - by people with full heads of hair, of course.

Truth is, everyone has to deal with it to some degree sooner or later.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
Truth is, everyone has to deal with it to some degree sooner or later.

What about old men who keep all their hair like Ronald Regan? They never had to deal with it. Minor hair loss like temples or receeding of course is more common. How many have to deal with going full bald in their early twenties? Far fewer I assure you. To compare a fifty year old who just started to loose his crown to a twenty two year old NW5 is negligable at best. No comparison.

HairGuru22

Established Member
Reaction score
Young bald men are screwed, western women have become more superficial nowadays and if you can notice that I would suggest you start going out more and interact with women. Its rather crazy how easily they give up for good looking men with NW0 hairline.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I never noticed it either really. I never noticed that a lot of the older guys I know had bald spots until I started losing and frantically looking everywhere for validation. Not going to lie, I fear that next year when I teach and Im writing something on the board the kids will make a remark about it.

DannyBoyy

Reaction score
The fact that most of us didnt notice or care about bald/balding people kinda proves that it cant be bad as people make out otherwise it would of stuck out like a sore thumb in those times...only people who notice or care is guys/gals who are balding and they look out for others and immature people (you know the people who you wouldnt give time of day WITH hair so why give them attention now?)...sure it is a b**ch when it starts to go but seriously be honest did you care when others were bald? (before yours started) or happen to think nothing of it? and why did you think nothing of it?

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I agree with you Danny, I think for the most part with baldness you just blend in to the crowd. We have to take location into consideration though. You're from England and from what I've seen, at least on tv, balding to some degree is pretty common. Im from the Midwest, football country, and most guys tend to not care and throw on a baseball cap.

I don't know, I've been thinking a bit, and if Im right UCman is from California. Now if he's from the big cities things are pretty superficial around there from what I've understood. Perhaps it really does depend on your area. I don't know, I've had a bit of whiskey tonight so perhaps Im just more empathetic haha. I don't know, you and I are some of the positive guys around here but just because we don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

DannyBoyy

Reaction score
I agree with you Danny, I think for the most part with baldness you just blend in to the crowd. We have to take location into consideration though. You're from England and from what I've seen, at least on tv, balding to some degree is pretty common. Im from the Midwest, football country, and most guys tend to not care and throw on a baseball cap.

I don't know, I've been thinking a bit, and if Im right UCman is from California. Now if he's from the big cities things are pretty superficial around there from what I've understood. Perhaps it really does depend on your area. I don't know, I've had a bit of whiskey tonight so perhaps Im just more empathetic haha. I don't know, you and I are some of the positive guys around here but just because we don't see it doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Oh don't get me wrong some places probably are different it's what i ment by immature people also...why i always ask where UCMan etc are from cause it sounds horrible...here in UK it is common to see bald/balding maybe some places it isn't but still it shouldnt matter regardless.

Thom

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Yeah you're right, it shouldn't really matter. I have a lot of friends who have moved to California to pursue acting and they talk about how incredibly superficial it is. Even downtown Dallas seems that way. Im confident enough in my looks but I went to the mall down there with friends and we got looks just for being dressed normal. We stood out so bad because we don't wear what the magazines tell us we should. So if I lived somewhere like that I could see it getting to me. I, as well as you, might handle it differently but everyone is different I guess.

uncomfortable man

Reaction score
She broke up with him because she is vain and has a short attention span. He put his two weeks in. Didn't even last more than a month. Yup.