Is beef good for you?

CCS

Reaction score
I'm mostly vegitarian. I wonder if my joints would recover faster if I started eating beef. The dairy cows are the ones that suffer standing in their poop. The beef cows roam freely on the range.

The only problem with meat is you have to freeze it, separate it, cook it, and clean everything it touches. Plant stuff is much easier.

how many people die from mad cow each year?

And no matter where you buy protein, it is all 40 grams per dollar. You can get it cheap with bones and skin, but then you are paying for the weight of the bones, skin, and fat, and doing the work of removing it.

If you buy beans, egg whites, yeast, milk, skinless boneless chicken, or $3 per pound lean meat, it is all 40 grams of protein per dollar. The only difference is the other health effects and the fact that milk and beans have carbs too. You can get cheaper beans, but you have to prepare them. You can also pay higher prices for any of these.

I want to buy nutritional yeast, but the B vitamin content is so high. I want more than fda, but not that much.

the Last Fight

Established Member
Reaction score
I dont get why people are veggies?

Is because the 'cruelty' to the animals?

How many people die from tainted spinach/tomatoes yearly?

Vegetables are important in ones diet but you should really add some animal protein in there. It will truly make you healthier, oh and dont forget good fats.

Ill think youll see you inflammation go down.

CCS

Reaction score
Cruelty to animals is my main reason, though cost and prep work are other reasons. I don't think cows are treated bad at all, so I don't mind eating beef. I don't want to eat any other kind of meet though. Fish are really healthy. I go back and forth on the ethics of that. We know that dolphins are intelligent because they use tools.

matinfisher

Reaction score
Everything in moderation, including meat, vegetables and fruits. Be sure to have a balanced diet. If you eat beef portion control, pork, poultry, fish, you will be fine.

Nene

Reaction score
CCS said:
Cruelty to animals is my main reason, though cost and prep work are other reasons. I don't think cows are treated bad at all, so I don't mind eating beef. I don't want to eat any other kind of meet though. Fish are really healthy. I go back and forth on the ethics of that. We know that dolphins are intelligent because they use tools.

Dolphins are intelligent but fish aren't.

CCS

Reaction score
Nene said:
CCS said:

How do you know? Have we watched all species of fish as closely as we've watched dolphins, in captivity and out of captivity? Have we given them the opportunity to show their smarts? Were there independent studies, other than those done by people who want to prove they are not intelligent so we can profit from them?

Nene

Reaction score
CCS said:
Nene said:
CCS said:

How do you know? Have we watched all species of fish as closely as we've watched dolphins, in captivity and out of captivity? Have we given them the opportunity to show their smarts? Were there independent studies, other than those done by people who want to prove they are not intelligent so we can profit from them?

Dolphins are mammals with highly developed brains. Fish have little pea brains.

"Fish typically have quite small brains relative to body size compared with other vertebrates, typically one-fifteenth the brain mass of a similarly sized bird or mammal" - Wikipedia

We don't need studies, fish are stupid.

CCS

Reaction score
I want to eat some bell peppers, onions, and mushrooms sauteed in hamburger. I don't know if I could handle the CRON diet. I could, but I'd just have to eat that less often.

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Beef is fantastic for you. Just don't eat that grain fed sh*t. Even in mammals that are supposed to be eating grasses (like cows), eating grains causes numerous health problems most obvious from the consumer's standpoint being an altered fat profile. It can be a little difficult transitioning from a mostly vegetarian diet to a meatavore diet but it's certainly worth the effort to get some readily accessible nutrients into your meals.

Go there:
http://healthydietsandscience.blogspot.com/

powersam

Reaction score
Brains Expel Hair said:
Beef is fantastic for you. Just don't eat that grain fed sh*t. Even in mammals that are supposed to be eating grasses (like cows), eating grains causes numerous health problems most obvious from the consumer's standpoint being an altered fat profile. It can be a little difficult transitioning from a mostly vegetarian diet to a meatavore diet but it's certainly worth the effort to get some readily accessible nutrients into your meals.

Go there:
http://healthydietsandscience.blogspot.com/

Very true, it screws up the omega 3:6 ratio, from like 1:4 to 1:21. Also cows eating grain often need antibiotics, whereas those that eat grass do not. Funny that.

Wuffer

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I used to be a hardcore gym nut, and am slowly getting back into it after a few years of blissful sloth.

When I was in my peak physical shape (less than 3% body fat), lean ground beef was a staple. I ate a lot of it; cooked it, drained the oil and ate it plain. It's great if you are an active individual and do weightlifting, but eat in moderation if not.

However, the absolute BEST protein is Tuna. If you can stomach it, eat a can a day; half in the morning, half at night. I would eat that raw as well.. Hell I was making protein shakes with Tuna in them. Couldn't quite get past the taste though.. Chocolate whey powder does no go well with fish.

My most popular shake was: Tuna, peanut butter, whey powder, skim milk, a banana and ice. It wasn't as terrible as you might think, but pretty bad.

billythekid

Established Member
Reaction score
mods, ban Vridney and Daltonasd please

i love beef. eat it all the time. however, i've read that it raises insulin levels and can lead to insulin resistance. more of that scare mongering here:
http://thediabetesclub.com/why-diabetic ... pot-roast/

i'm going to consume a lot more rare tuna and sashimi in the next few months. don't expect it to have any effect on my hair. maybe my skin will look better

powersam

Reaction score
It used to frustrate me, how stupid people are about nutrition. Then I realised I actually don't care what happens to people I don't know.

I will continue to post evidence where it is relevant, from that point it is up to you.

Red meat is awesome, grass fed meat is the best thing you could be eating for your health.