Is 1mg Propecia Per Week Effective?

maconomist

Reaction score
I'm 27, male, and started getting some thinning and balding in the crown area about six months ago. It's not very noticeable, but will definitely get worse with time.

I just received an order of Finpecia, but after reading about so many horror stories and side effects, I'm a bit terrified of even trying it. I'm perfectly healthy today, and don't want to mess up my life just to conserve hair.

If I choose to take this, would trying only 1mg per week be effective?

Some studies find that DHT levels remain low and rise slowly even after 7 days of taking a dose. But I'm concerned if taking it in this way would cause a up-down pattern in my DHT levels, which might not be good.

talmoode

Experienced Member
Reaction score
hi there. I am not an expert or anything. But why don't you up your dose slowly? Take 1mg weekly for a month or so and if you don't have sides, then many 1mg every 4 to 5 days for a month or so...then every 3 days.....like so...

or start off with 0.25 mg or 0.5 mg daily?

Sorry not much help here! Good luck mate!~

Cob984

Established Member
Reaction score
i personally think its better than nothing, i used 0.25 mg, 4x week for one week and i could tell it was helping my hair feel so much better though even this dosage gave me sides ,
but if u can take it, i think its better than nothing at all
not an expert though

Liron1991

Reaction score
hi there. I am not an expert or anything. But why don't you up your dose slowly? Take 1mg weekly for a month or so and if you don't have sides, then many 1mg every 4 to 5 days for a month or so...then every 3 days.....like so...

or start off with 0.25 mg or 0.5 mg daily?

Sorry not much help here! Good luck mate!~

i suggest what he said......

if you do it slowly you will have minimum side effects

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
I'm 27, male, and started getting some thinning and balding in the crown area about six months ago. It's not very noticeable, but will definitely get worse with time.

I just received an order of Finpecia, but after reading about so many horror stories and side effects, I'm a bit terrified of even trying it. I'm perfectly healthy today, and don't want to mess up my life just to conserve hair.

Some studies find that DHT levels remain low and rise slowly even after 7 days of taking a dose. But I'm concerned if taking it in this way would cause a up-down pattern in my DHT levels, which might not be good.

more evidence that you shouldn't browse forums like this if you are considering starting Propecia.

1mg per week is way too low. You might as well not take it at all

MrBastard

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Taking it once per week is just dumb. All you do is making your hormones jump around like crazy and not doing anything at all to save the hair. Personally i feel every other day is not optimal aswell. Take it daily, but at a low dose. Can you link your study saying it stays low for a week after 1 pill?

maconomist

Reaction score
Hi all, thanks for all of your replies. This is one of those DHT level graphs I was referring to, showing the effect of a single finasteride dose at different levels:http://www.hairlosstalk.com/interac...ecia-lower-DHT?p=963099&viewfull=1#post963099

If I start off slow, maybe at one or two doses of 1mg per week, will I just be throwing my money away? And is this hazardous for my health?

(Side note: Not sure if this has anything to do with it, but I'm only about 130 pounds, 5' 10" (1.8mt), so I also don't want to overwhelm my system).

Quantum Cat

Reaction score
you can start off slow and gradually increase, but ulimtaely you should be on 0.5-1mg per day

franky69

Reaction score
I would agree with quantum cat. You could possibly cut propecia into halves, and take it every other day to see how far you can go without any sides up to recommended dosage. Taking propecia or even dutasteride once a week alone probably won't help you much. You should probably increase dosage at a minimum biweekly intervals, preferably once a month to let your body adjust to the hormonal changes.

RP3X

Established Member
Reaction score
yeah smaller dosages would be safer bet.... its keeping it constant in your body to make it effective.

IrishFella

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
MrBastard and Quantum are giving some sound info. Don't mess with the drug by taking it once a week, imagine suppressing DHT, then it gradually returns to baseline, then suppressed again, then returning to baseline, then suppressed etc etc.

That wouldn't be good for your body at all.

franky69

Reaction score
yeah smaller dosages would be safer bet.... its keeping it constant in your body to make it effective.

Yup, lower dosage is fine to start, but keep it constant. Then increase slowly. This will help lower the side effects as your body adjusts to the drug.

WarLord

Established Member
Reaction score

For Goodness sake, the only scary problem with finasteride is hyperandrogenicity and acceleration of hairloss. Most of the guys reporting "side effects" are hysterical hypochondriacs. I have been on finasteride for nearly 8 months and I haven't observed any change. Nothing. This is to be expected, because DHT is a useless hormone that your body won't miss. There may be exceptions - like with every drug - , but how can you distinguish those 2-3% guys with side effects on finasteride from those 1-2% guys reporting side effects on placebo? LOL

maconomist

Reaction score
Hi everyone, thanks for all of your advice.

I took one dose on Saturday morning (haven't taken any since). On Monday around mid morning I started feeling a weird kind of headache, which continues until today, Wednesday. It's very minor, but constant and causes me to feel slightly dizzy at times, and with a reduced ability to concentrate. I can definitely live with it for now, although I've taken some tylenol. Could this be a side effect of the dose I took on Saturday? (I read elsewhere people reporting "brain fog").

Nothing else has changed in my daily habits, and I've never had this kind of constant but light headache for many days.

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I had the migraines when starting Propecia. Pretty severe (fetal position on the couch) but usually only the first 1-3 days. Then they'd go away.

If you only took one dose Saturday and then had a headache 2 days later ... doesn't seem related.

Admin

maconomist

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. I still have the light headache, but I can live with it for now. The thing is it's constant, from the time I wake up to when I go to bed. I have never experienced something like this, even when I have gotten the flu. If I up my doses to two next week, could I be making this situation worse?

I am a little afraid of the stories I read elsewhere. Should I maybe stop this and go back to a doctor? Although honestly the time I went to the dermatologist at a very prestigious university recently, she could care less about giving me a solution. She just basically said try Rogaine or Propecia and see how it does.

struggle

Reaction score
For Goodness sake, the only scary problem with finasteride is hyperandrogenicity and acceleration of hairloss. Most of the guys reporting "side effects" are hysterical hypochondriacs. I have been on finasteride for nearly 8 months and I haven't observed any change. Nothing. This is to be expected, because DHT is a useless hormone that your body won't miss. There may be exceptions - like with every drug - , but how can you distinguish those 2-3% guys with side effects on finasteride from those 1-2% guys reporting side effects on placebo? LOL

"DHT is a useless hormone that your body won't miss."

LOL, citation needed ***got.

nativer

Reaction score
Short answer is nobody knows if 1x a week is effective. The "graph" everyone points too shows a slight difference between .05 and 1mg of propecia. Also I have read "other boards" (take that for what its worth ZERO) talk how Propecia suppresses DHT for up to two weeks

I think you have a good start 1x a week, to "test it out". I would back off a few weeks, till you feel comfortable, and start again at a much lower dosage. Maybe go .5 .25 once a week.

Hairloss is not a sprint, but a long distance race. There is no harm taking a smaller dosage, and waiting to see if its effective or not, before you move up.

franky69

Reaction score
Due to the shorter half life, I would say that once a week is not effective. Not only that, I wouldn't recommend it since you don't want spikes of the drug in your bloodstream. Its counterproductive, you need a constant dose. You can split your finasteride tablets and take one of those a day and increase to a full tab per day.