Investigation On Microecology Of Hair Root Fungi In Androgenetic Alopecia Patients.

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
Huang J; Department of Dermatovenereology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, No. 37, Guo Xue Xiang, Chengdu, 610041, Sichuan Province, China.; Department of Dermatovenereology, Medical Center of Dujiang yan, Dujiangyan, 611830, Sichuan Province, China.
Ran Y; Department of Dermatovenereology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, No. 37, Guo Xue Xiang, Chengdu, 610041, Sichuan Province, China. ranyuping@vip.sina.com.
Pradhan S; Department of Dermatovenereology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, No. 37, Guo Xue Xiang, Chengdu, 610041, Sichuan Province, China.
Yan W; Department of Dermatovenereology, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, No. 37, Guo Xue Xiang, Chengdu, 610041, Sichuan Province, China.
Dai Y; Laboratory Medicine, West China Hospital, Sichuan University, Chengdu, 610041, Sichuan Province, China.
Source:
Mycopathologia [Mycopathologia] 2019 Jun 26. Date of Electronic Publication: 2019 Jun 26.
Publication Type:
Journal Article
Language:
English
Journal Info:
Publisher: Kluwer Academic Country of Publication: Netherlands NLM ID: 7505689 Publication Model: Print-Electronic Cited Medium: Internet ISSN: 1573-0832 (Electronic) Linking ISSN: 0301486X NLM ISO Abbreviation: Mycopathologia
Imprint Name(s):
Publication: Dordrecht : Kluwer Academic
Original Publication: [The Hague, W. Junk]
Abstract:
Background: This study focused on the differences in hairy root fungal microecology between androgenetic alopecia patients and healthy individuals.
Methods: Light microscopy was used to observe the morphology of hairy roots. Morphological observations were also performed in the positive specimens using scanning electron microscopy and transmission electron microscopy. The high-throughput sequencing method was used to detect the fungal microecology of hairy roots at different sites. Moreover, the comparison of fungal loads of Malassezia in different group and scalp area were tested by PCR.
Results: The fungi in the hair root observed by optical microscopy are mainly Malassezia yeast. The positive rate of Malassezia in the hair loss group (60%) was higher than that in the control group (40%). The detection efficiency of Malassezia examined by scanning electron microscopy was higher than that by light microscopy. Results acquired from high-throughput molecular sequencing of fungi suggested that Ascomycota was the dominant species, whereas in the occipital hair roots of the control group Basidiomycota was the dominant species in the hair loss group. Malassezia followed by Trichosporon were the most abundant fungal genera. The changes in abundance at the top and occipital region of the control group were more significant than those of the genus Fusarium, followed by Epicoccum and Malassezia. The load of Malassezia located on calvaria in the alopecia group was significantly higher than that in the control group. In the alopecia group, the load of Malassezia on the scalp was higher than that on the occipital region. The load of Malassezia globosa and Malassezia restricta in the hair loss group was higher on calvaria and occipital areas.
Conclusion: Malassezia had a positive correlation with the incidence of androgenic alopecia.
Contributed Indexing:
Keywords: Androgenetic alopecia; Fungal microecology; High-throughput sequencing; Malassezia
Entry Date(s):
Date Created: 20190627 Latest Revision: 20190626
Update Code:
DOI:
10.1007/s11046-019-00345-8

BetaBoy

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
This is expected no? Higher androgen activity -> increased sebum production -> increased malassezia fungi.

max310

Established Member
Reaction score
Omg why my cousin doesn’t get that fungi. And his father and his father and his father and his father and his father.....?.

Anti fungi family!!!!.

We have pictures back 200 years ago. I can take you to their graves they still have their fucken hair while being dead.

Fungi right!...

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score
Fungal overgrowths are typically treated with antifungals. There are however alternatives. When this occurs in the gut, probiotics help to restore balance. Also, limiting sugar intake reduces the fungal population.
Since we are looking at skin (scalp), it might be feasible to think of treating this with a topical probiotic to foster a more balanced follicle biome.

whatevr

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nizoral didn’t do a damn thing for me

It never did a damn thing for anyone. It's place in the big 3 is completely unjustified, might as well use fresh spring water, probably smells nicer and healthier for the scalp too.

sktboiboi

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Helped me. Before using Nizoral, my scalp was inflamed and itchy. Since there are multiple factors likely in play with hair loss, it might be that this is not one affecting you (and others).
Nope.

Nizoral will worsen Androgenetic Alopecia because its a cholesterol biosynthesis inhibitor

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nope.

Nizoral will worsen Androgenetic Alopecia because its a cholesterol biosynthesis inhibitor

Right because sex hormone synthesis is vital to scalp hair growth......

Every study involving ketoconazole shows incteased hair shaft thickness and increased density.

But your right. Lets ignore those. Sex hormones are good for hair.....

Did it ever occur to you that maybe Androgenetic Alopecia suffers have too much cholesterol synthesis and consequently too much T and DHT?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2970350/

This study shows keto prevents the conversion of progestins into androgens which is good for hair. It decreases T, DHT, and estradiol, all of which is good for hair. The only detrimental aspect is a decrease in DHEA.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2546501/

This shows keto upregulates vitamin d receptor, also good for hair.

Overall keto is a benefit for Androgenetic Alopecia. You can use topical magnesium chloride to increase DHEA levels in scalp.

sktboiboi

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Right because sex hormone synthesis is vital to scalp hair growth......

Every study involving ketoconazole shows incteased hair shaft thickness and increased density.

But your right. Lets ignore those. Sex hormones are good for hair.....

Did it ever occur to you that maybe Androgenetic Alopecia suffers have too much cholesterol synthesis and consequently too much T and DHT?

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2970350/

This study shows keto prevents the conversion of progestins into androgens which is good for hair. It decreases T, DHT, and estradiol, all of which is good for hair. The only detrimental aspect is a decrease in DHEA.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/2546501/

This shows keto upregulates vitamin d receptor, also good for hair.

Overall keto is a benefit for Androgenetic Alopecia. You can use topical magnesium chloride to increase DHEA levels in scalp.
Nope, that's not what I said, nor implied.

I only talked about cholesterol.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/31260136/?i=36&from=alopecia

Thx.

Last edited:

alscarmuzza

Established Member
Reaction score

Thx.
I searched as well. I only found the implication of cholesterol disturbance affecting primary cicatricial alopecia. I didn't find anything linking androgenetic alopecia though, just the scarring alopecia. Looking at Drugs.com there is some data on rare effects for those who are hypersensitive to keto though.

Feelsbadman.jpg

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

Thx.

Did you even read the abstract???

Let me break it down for you.

Cholesterol homeostasis: links to hair follicle biology and hair disorders.
Review article
Palmer MA, et al. Exp Dermatol. 2019.
Show full citation
Abstract
Lipids and lipid metabolism are critical factors in hair follicle (HF) biology and cholesterol has long been suspected of influencing hair growth. Altered cholesterol homeostasis is involved in the pathogenesis of primary cicatricial alopecia, mutations in a cholesterol transporter are associated with congenital hypertrichosis and dyslipidaemia has been linked to androgenic alopecia. The underlying molecular mechanisms by which cholesterol influences pathways involved in proliferation and differentiation within HF cell populations remains largely unknown. As such, expanding our knowledge of the role for cholesterol in regulating these processes is likely to provide new leads in the development of treatments for disorders of hair growth and cycling. This review describes the current state of knowledge with respect to cholesterol homeostasis in the HF along with known and putative links to hair pathologies. This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.

This article is protected by copyright. All rights reserved.

From Wikipedia:

Dyslipidemia
is an abnormal amount of lipids (e.g. triglycerides, cholesterol and/or fat phospholipids) in the blood. In developed countries, most dyslipidemias are hyperlipidemias; that is, an elevation of lipids in the blood. This is often due to diet and lifestyle.

Another hair loss talk genius. Everyone throw away your nizoral. I swear this website does more harm than good.