Insulin Sensitivity and Hair Loss

Reaction score
Has anyone ever speculated about this?

Maybe I haven't seen a real study on this and am late (if someone can inform/correct me).

But it seems as though there may be a link between being super sensitive to release a bunch of insulin and male pattern baldness floating around online?

there are some low carb message boards that say that their bald spots grew back after months of going low carb.

i personally have a bad relationship with carbs.

being a vegetarian it's hard to avoid carbs, but doable.

for most of my life, i get groggy in the afternoon. i have a hard time being able to focus in school.

when i went low carb all those things went away. i didnt stick low carb too long though.

just saying that i am sensitive and i know it for a fact. i easily bloat up with a lot of water when i eat carbs. when i restrict it to about 100grams per day i look cut and skin gets super healthy---that's another thing, i had regular acne breakouts until i went low carb.

does anyone know anything about any possible link between insulin sensitivity/carbs and male pattern baldness??

Reaction score
There is a lot of post about insulin and hairloss in this forum
All you need is use the search buttom

But a key question in our problem is: why a "X" element only affects at certains scalp hairs, not in the zone around skull?

Also medline is good to read studies, an exaample
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4144211/

none of the threads talk about sensitivity but rather, resistance.

like i said, it's an area that hasn't been dived into, but it has a lot of hits around the web in regards to people discussing it.

Reaction score
yep. that's what i noticed as well.

oh well. maybe there is a link maybe not

i cant believe they haven't figured out how to stop this crap

im only 23.

i feel so bummed out

*ends bitching

abcdefg

Reaction score
I think there is a lot of general evidence that supports the importance of androgens in male pattern baldness. Women losing hair if they have abnormal amounts of body/facial hair meaning lots of male hormones, hair loss starts around puberty, castration prevents it and so on. Its still really the most concrete and proven way to stop it we have so far. If only we could actually stop them safely and powerfully.

Saulus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Can someone fly to some pacific island and count the bald heads?

I mean there are literally islands where more of 50% of the adult population habe diabetes 2?

The bald head rate must be insane

paul2222

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a doctor friend overseas who has studied endocrinology in depth. He is confident that male pattern baldness is due to insulin resistance.

(can't post URL because I'm a new member) - Here's a study on it

He stated that by increasing Vit D3, Alpha Lipoic acid, 3k of quality Omega-3 and supplementing male sex hormones, the insulin resistance goes down and the hair loss does as well.

(can't post URL because I'm a new member)

Here's another study.

The free testosterone in the blood gets converted to DHT by 5 Alpha-Reductase. However, you have to have free testosterone for this to occur. Much of the testosterone in the blood is used by Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG). As we get older, the amount of SHBG naturally increases and the amount of free testosterone decreases. So, the higher the SHBG levels, the lower the hair loss because only FREE Testosterone can be converted to DHT which will affect the hair follicles.

Elevated levels of insulin INHIBIT SHBG in both normal and obese men. It particularly affects type 2 diabetics.

So, if you're serious about preventing hair loss, look at your diet. Eliminate anything that has flour, sugar etc (breads, cakes, cookies, sodas, fruit juices (yes), french fries (carbs), gluten-free grain flours, pies. etc.

Saulus

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have a doctor friend overseas who has studied endocrinology in depth. He is confident that male pattern baldness is due to insulin resistance.

(can't post URL because I'm a new member) - Here's a study on it

He stated that by increasing Vit D3, Alpha Lipoic acid, 3k of quality Omega-3 and supplementing male sex hormones, the insulin resistance goes down and the hair loss does as well.

(can't post URL because I'm a new member)

Here's another study.

The free testosterone in the blood gets converted to DHT by 5 Alpha-Reductase. However, you have to have free testosterone for this to occur. Much of the testosterone in the blood is used by Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG). As we get older, the amount of SHBG naturally increases and the amount of free testosterone decreases. So, the higher the SHBG levels, the lower the hair loss because only FREE Testosterone can be converted to DHT which will affect the hair follicles.

Elevated levels of insulin INHIBIT SHBG in both normal and obese men. It particularly affects type 2 diabetics.

So, if you're serious about preventing hair loss, look at your diet. Eliminate anything that has flour, sugar etc (breads, cakes, cookies, sodas, fruit juices (yes), french fries (carbs), gluten-free grain flours, pies. etc.

Funnily enough people who take metformin often report hairloss even tho it increase shgb and increase insulin sentivity

Quineapig

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been using Metformin 2000mg ed for a year, even tho I don't have diabetes. Helps acne maybe a bit but no cure for hairloss. I eat alot of soy and other products wich should elevate SHBG. Case closed.

Last edited:

Lycoo

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm positivey convinced that, in my case at least, hair loss is correlated to carbs/sugar consumption. I had a condition named "dermatitis seborroica" (or whatever it's call) causing me itching scalp and hair loss for 8 years and I only got rid of it when I figured out it was linked to carbs and sugar consumption.

I tried to change my diet, I only eat bacon & eats on breakfast now. But lets face it, a no carb diet is close to impossible for normal being, and especially to me as a pasta lover

coolio

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
If your diet is bad enough during your childhood/teen years then it will prevent you from reaching your final height.

But that doesn't mean that all 5-foot-tall guys are that way because they ate badly. It doesn't prove all 6ft tall guys ate well. It doesn't prove that a kid on a path to be 5ft can become 6ft by eating better.

The question is not whether diet affects hair loss.
The question is HOW MUCH does it affect it.

The answer is not very much. A "huge difference" on these forums is "barely noticeable" to most people in the real world. The world has plenty of out-of-control diabetics with Norwood#1 hairlines and perfect eaters with bald heads. Go ahead and try to eat better but don't make too much of the link. Do whatever works for you.

And like everything else - don't get too convinced that your experience is the truth about everything. Get a grip and accept that anything health-related is going to vary a lot from person to person.

abcdefg

Reaction score
There is just no way. There are so many men in prisons, and athletes that all eat the same diets. Many athletes eat very strict diets with little carbs and they lose their hair. If diet could keep SHBG high then we should never see men going bald if they eat no sugar or carbs. We do see that though, and older men are much balder then women at same age. Most older people eat very healthy but hair loss in men continues.
I just dont see the evidence in real life showing diet stopping male pattern baldness. Maybe it makes a small difference, but its far from some solution to male pattern baldness.

paul2222

My Regimen
Reaction score
Funnily enough people who take metformin often report hairloss even tho it increase shgb and increase insulin sentivity
It may also be linked to the body-wide inflammation caused by certain types of diets. Medication may not be the only answer.

Capone

My Regimen
Reaction score
Has anyone ever speculated about this?

Maybe I haven't seen a real study on this and am late (if someone can inform/correct me).

But it seems as though there may be a link between being super sensitive to release a bunch of insulin and male pattern baldness floating around online?

there are some low carb message boards that say that their bald spots grew back after months of going low carb.

Got a link?

signal

My Regimen
Reaction score
Can someone fly to some pacific island and count the bald heads?

I mean there are literally islands where more of 50% of the adult population habe diabetes 2?

The bald head rate must be insane

Which islands?

GreekGod_of_Aesthetics

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm positivey convinced that, in my case at least, hair loss is correlated to carbs/sugar consumption. I had a condition named "dermatitis seborroica" (or whatever it's call) causing me itching scalp and hair loss for 8 years and I only got rid of it when I figured out it was linked to carbs and sugar consumption.

I tried to change my diet, I only eat bacon & eats on breakfast now. But lets face it, a no carb diet is close to impossible for normal being, and especially to me as a pasta lover
100% Legit. I've tried low carb twice so far. Couldn't keep with it for several reasons, but will go back to it.
Within days of going low carb, my dandruff and dermatitis completely goes away.