Info on "Great Lengths"

Xan

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me about their experience with "Great Lengths" hair extensions? I am not looking for length, but to add some thickness to my thinning hair. My thinning is most apparant at the front hairline - will "Great Lengths" help that? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

G

I went to a spendy salon intent on getting Great Length extensions to cover up my ultra thinning hair. As it turns out, Great Lengths are only good for people who have enough hair on top to cover the lumps created by the glue on the ends of the extensions (which instantly disqualified me...I cried, for the record). It limits the ways in which you can style your hair, and can damage the hair that you have. In fact, the hairdresser who I saw told me that she had put them in for her daughter and after her experience would not recommend them to anyone.

spreech

Reaction score
Hi there i really wanna give you some help and advice here, ive had great lengths human hair extensions before, i have very fine hair and wanted to add some length and body, the first three months i had them in they looked fantastic and i felt great but what my stylist failed to tell me is that you are supposed to have ALL the bonds removed after the three months and have them ALL replaced, instead she told me to come back every month and just have the ones that had grown quite far down with my hair (say 10 - 20 bonds) taken out and moved back up towards my scalp, this was my first ever experience with hair extensions so i trusted what she advised and did what she said. I found that after about 6-8 months the extensions were so heavy (due to the fact it was human hair) and the bonds pulled on my scalp which caused it to be extremely red and sore and small itchy red spots developed on my scalp which was extremely uncomfortable. Also with the adhesive bonds being so strong, when an extension fell out ( i lost about 10 extensions a month) it pulled a clump of my own hair with it. With my hair being extremely fine i have to wash it everyday as it gets extremely greasy and the extensions only made this problem worse as i could not wash my scalp properly and rinse away all the excess sebum as the bonds were in the way so i was finding that literally as soon as id washed and dried my hair it just looked as lank and greasy as it did before. When i questioned my stylist about this she insisted that everything was fine and i carried on having the extensions for about two years as i was too afraid to take them out and see the true state of my remaining hair. But things just got worse and i eventually had them removed, i was horrified at the state of my hair, i was so used to having long thick locks and i was devastated to see what hair was left. My advice is if you are looking to have hair extensions have sythectic hair as it is much much lighter than human hair and use what they call the 'four stem braid system' which is apparently gentle on your hair and scalp. Sorry for the long post but hope this has helped and feel free to ask me any more questions

CatherineG

Reaction score
I have very thin hair and had Great Lengths extensions put in. My experience has been wonderful. Yes, you have to be careful combing out after you shampoo. My trade off was, I needed the fullness and felt the extra work involved was worth it. They cannot be placed near the front hairline because the end would show. I had mine replaced after the first 5 weeks. I lost 4 and wanted to redo where they had been placed. They cannot (at least on me) be placed in the back at the crown to cover a balding area . My stylist was extremely honest with me about what to epect. I recommend you shop around for a well trained stylist and go for it!

ToupMaster

Established Member
Reaction score
Re:

spreech said:
My advice is if you are looking to have hair extensions have sythectic hair as it is much much lighter than human hair and use what they call the 'four stem braid system' which is apparently gentle on your hair and scalp.

synthetic hair is great stuff, BUT, I would not recommend it for extensions nor any unit which is bonded or worn 24/7. The synthetic fibre will frizz when you sleep on it and when showering will straighten or get redirected by the warm water. Drying with a dryer will melt and deform it, curling irons will melt it if you don't know exactly what your doing.

Sorry but for extensions it's human hair. Now possibly the synthetic will work for dreads, braids and ethnic hair doo's, but I haven't seen them work on white folk worth a dam.

CatherineG

Reaction score
Hi, back again with an update on Great Lengths. I thought they were okay and even wrote a post claiming their gentleness. Yesterday, I found out a very different story. I had my Great Lengths removed and found that after 2 months , almost all the extensions had snarled and matted above the connection. I honestly wouldn't get these ever put back in my hair. It took a lot of work to remove them and I lost more hair because of the knots.

Anita1978

Reaction score
2 things to remember about all types of extensions (clip-ins, microrings, keratin bonded etc) - i've had them all at one stage or another in my 20's!

1) you need hair to add hair. all extensions 'piggy back' onto your own hair. hair that is thin / weak will suffer when you place additional stress on roots with the added hair attached to it

2) your hair immediately above the attachments need to be thick enough to cover the clips/microrings/bonds - if you can see the 'scaffolding' then what's the point??

in general, extensions are for those who have no alopecia problems, they are not designed to be a solution to hair loss, and any company that tells you otherwise is simply wanting to line their pockets

just some pointers xxxx