In a BAD place. Help Needed Please!

SnortingFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Do you only have nerve pain and hair loss on one side of the head?
Yes!!!! my left temple has receded dramatically since I had those Tingling/Electric zaps/hair moving like sensations/burning it started July 2019 till the f*****g now!

It does happen on my right temple but like 1/10 of the times that happens on the left.

I've been toying with the idea of just f*****g end it.

Ticken

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Does the pain ever subside, even a bit, or is it fairly constant?

In case you haven't already, do try Cetirizine 10mg 1-3x day. If you notice a reduction in pain sensations within a couple days that's a very good clue that your pain/nerve sensations are likely caused by inflammation/histamine.

On amazon, you could pick up a 30-50$ usb digital microscope.
If you were able to take some microscopic images of your scalp/hair follicles and share them here, somebody may see something significant that your derm missed. With a microscope you can look for abnormalities that might be signs of inflammation. Inflammatory cells can irritate nerve endings and cause a weird assortment of painful sensations.

Last edited:

hairhelp777

My Regimen
Reaction score
I agree with the suggestion to pick up a microscope. That's what I did and was able to self-diagnose - and later confirmed by biopsy.

I also had tingling sensations and also horrible burning sensation. For me it turned out to be lichen planopilaris/frontal fibrosing - but the pain is pretty much gone now that I've started meds.

If you get the right meds, the pain should stop...

hairhelp777

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes!!!! my left temple has receded dramatically since I had those Tingling/Electric zaps/hair moving like sensations/burning it started July 2019 till the f*****g now!

It does happen on my right temple but like 1/10 of the times that happens on the left.

I've been toying with the idea of just f*****g end it.
Have you seen a dermatologist yet - or just a neurologist?

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
Well he diagnosed me with Vagus nerve. telling me its causing the tingling/electric zaps/ numbing sensation.

Prescribed the meds (Dogmatil - Lustral both 50mg)

Well the pain was in my left temple, I was really stressed and frustrated for a week then it happened. Started as intense burning. then the (tingling-numbing-electric zaps) I saw my hair falls row by row.

Anyways I stopped Lustral after 1 week of use. then Dogmatil after ~2 months.

Fastforwad March 20 I was surprised by those symptoms!

I took finasteride on the same day, (hoping to reverse the sides and regrow my hairline), had ball ache and watery semen on the 4th day.

I took my last pill on sunday and Im going to taper off slowly so I dont f*** things more.

I appreciate your reply, Please what do you think should I do?

Ive already spent money I dont own, Did Brain MRI (was clean) Blood tests (thyroid - vita d) both fine except Vita D was a bit low. Multiple doctor appointments, purchased meds... I dont have health insurance.
Ok, first of all glad to hear the MRI was fine. I don't understand how the vagus nerve is affecting your scalp as it's major innervation is the stomach and abdomen. The vagal nerve complex is just below your rib cage and I get severe pain there when I am stressed. The vagal nerve is more involved with gastritis than your scalp. If I had to guess you might have some type of virus living in your nerve cells( neuron cells) in your scalp and with stress it gets worse and causes that tingling, electrical zaps. A similar condition is from Herpes Zoster( adult chicken pox) and you can get trigeminal neuralgia with that condition which could involve the face or scalp. When I went thru a huge traumatic event( Category 5 hurricane) I started to get electric zaps, tingling in my mouth. I never had such a thing in my whole life. It eventually went away on its own but I know it was caused by stress. Have you been under any amount of stress?

SnortingFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, first of all glad to hear the MRI was fine. I don't understand how the vagus nerve is affecting your scalp as it's major innervation is the stomach and abdomen. The vagal nerve complex is just below your rib cage and I get severe pain there when I am stressed. The vagal nerve is more involved with gastritis than your scalp. If I had to guess you might have some type of virus living in your nerve cells( neuron cells) in your scalp and with stress it gets worse and causes that tingling, electrical zaps. A similar condition is from Herpes Zoster( adult chicken pox) and you can get trigeminal neuralgia with that condition which could involve the face or scalp. When I went thru a huge traumatic event( Category 5 hurricane) I started to get electric zaps, tingling in my mouth. I never had such a thing in my whole life. It eventually went away on its own but I know it was caused by stress. Have you been under any amount of stress?
I appreciate your reply, Ty! Exactly, I had tons of concerns that his diagnosis was "bullshit" but he told me that (Dogmatil) was the magical medicine to my case...

Yes, great observation. It all began at that night (July, 2019) when I went to sleep but I was (frustrated, sad, stressed) I woke up with my anus clenched, my shouldrs shrugged like tensed up, shortness of breath, tightened forehead between eyebrows. and ofcourse the burning, tingling, and electric zaps on my left temple.

It went like a week or 10 days with the symptoms being constant 24/7, especially the scalp (left temple) symptoms. and when I went to a dermatologist and he gave me a couple of meds (Painkillers and something else) The pain has subsidised, but still it was hell, so I had to quit the meds.

Fast forward to the last couple of months, I was already fed up, I decided to take a deep breath and push it towards my head and here is where the magic had happened (I literally felt something has moved under my scalp, it was like sometning was misplaced and went back to its right place) I instantly felt better like 50% better! I still had the electric zaps/tingling but less severe.

The last month I went to buy Multi Relax 5mg (used to relax muscles and nerves) I took 2 tabs a day and went on it for 2 weeks. I finally felt good and at ease. I still had the symptoms but much more less severe on scale of 4/10 and less frequent.

I had to quit because the med is prescribed for 2 weeks at most. and still I didn't solve the root of problem, It was just like painkillers.

The last week I bought Chamomile and I drank it twice a day. Well it helps me during the day and the nerves pain (electric zaps) are less painful.

Anyway I went to sit/lay down thinking about this struggle and what is causing it?
I came to the conclusion that I'm doing something wrong (physically) and came up with 2 results:

(1) I'm tensing something in my face, is it my forehead? my upper jaw or is it the lower jaw? my chin? my eyes? my ears? my scalp??? I tried to do the all possible sad/frustrated faces but nothing happened.

(2) Okay I'm still convinced that its something physical is tensed up and causing those symptoms and its (subconsciously happening!!!) I was close to admit that its my ears and scalp!
I went to read on what are the possible causes of scalp pain and I read about the (Occipital nerve) and its about tension in the 2nd and 3rd neck vertebrae! so yeah I was close!

I also read about the tension headache and both are related to each other symptoms but Occipital nerve can cause tension headache.

So in short, I subconsciously tense my Shouders + Neck vertebrae (maybe my ears and scalp but to a very small extent) everytime I feel stressed or anxious!!! which results to my electric zaps/tingling/burning scalp!!!!

The fact is I know its all about mental issues (anxiety and stress) but I just can't and won't get those meds! because Effexor gave my tinnitus and Lustral/Dogmatil gave me ED and low libido...

So I hope I can fix the nerves! Because I think I can handle the stress and anxiety but without pain!!!

Thanks again for your time.

SnortingFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
Does the pain ever subside, even a bit, or is it fairly constant?

In case you haven't already, do try Cetirizine 10mg 1-3x day. If you notice a reduction in pain sensations within a couple days that's a very good clue that your pain/nerve sensations are likely caused by inflammation/histamine.

On amazon, you could pick up a 30-50$ usb digital microscope.
If you were able to take some microscopic images of your scalp/hair follicles and share them here, somebody may see something significant that your derm missed. With a microscope you can look for abnormalities that might be signs of inflammation. Inflammatory cells can irritate nerve endings and cause a weird assortment of painful sensations.
Yes, Caffeine (Tea and Coffee) used to make my symptoms 10 times worse.

while Multi Relax 5mg (used to relax muscles and nerves) fairly did a good job but I had to quit after 2 weeks, because its can't be taken for longer and its like painkillers so I didn't really solve the root of the problem!

It does subsidise, sometimes doesn't even happen, and sometimes its constant and terrible pain...

If you want more clarification I posted a long *** reply to DoctorHouse, pretty much detailed and informative.

Thank you for your time.

hairhelp777

My Regimen
Reaction score
2 neurologists and 1 dermatologist.

Neither helped. :/
It sounds like you have a very unusual condition -these seem harder to diagnose. I had to do a lot of research before I figured out what was wrong with my scalp (lichen planopilaris) - the first docs I went to were clueless about it. If you're not satisfied with your diagnosis, maybe try seeing another Doctor if you can? Even if you've already seen a few - I know how frustrating it can be as I've also been dealing with pain and multiple docs. Stress also makes these conditions worse I think. Good luck with finding out what is causing this for you...once you get the right meds hopefully it will get better

jjuliajul11

My Regimen
Reaction score
My friend had a similar situation. At first he had nerve pain in his scalp. It lasted about a week and then he went to the doctor. The doctor diagnosed him with multiple sclerosis. He also said that this is an early stage, if he didn`t apply in time it could have a bad effect on the extremities and ED could start. He was taking tecfidera for therapy and is now feeling better. And I advise you to see a doctor and don`t delay

Last edited:

Raccooner

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I appreciate your reply, Ty! Exactly, I had tons of concerns that his diagnosis was "bullshit" but he told me that (Dogmatil) was the magical medicine to my case...

Yes, great observation. It all began at that night (July, 2019) when I went to sleep but I was (frustrated, sad, stressed) I woke up with my anus clenched, my shouldrs shrugged like tensed up, shortness of breath, tightened forehead between eyebrows. and ofcourse the burning, tingling, and electric zaps on my left temple.

It went like a week or 10 days with the symptoms being constant 24/7, especially the scalp (left temple) symptoms. and when I went to a dermatologist and he gave me a couple of meds (Painkillers and something else) The pain has subsidised, but still it was hell, so I had to quit the meds.

Fast forward to the last couple of months, I was already fed up, I decided to take a deep breath and push it towards my head and here is where the magic had happened (I literally felt something has moved under my scalp, it was like sometning was misplaced and went back to its right place) I instantly felt better like 50% better! I still had the electric zaps/tingling but less severe.

The last month I went to buy Multi Relax 5mg (used to relax muscles and nerves) I took 2 tabs a day and went on it for 2 weeks. I finally felt good and at ease. I still had the symptoms but much more less severe on scale of 4/10 and less frequent.

I had to quit because the med is prescribed for 2 weeks at most. and still I didn't solve the root of problem, It was just like painkillers.

The last week I bought Chamomile and I drank it twice a day. Well it helps me during the day and the nerves pain (electric zaps) are less painful.

Anyway I went to sit/lay down thinking about this struggle and what is causing it?
I came to the conclusion that I'm doing something wrong (physically) and came up with 2 results:

(1) I'm tensing something in my face, is it my forehead? my upper jaw or is it the lower jaw? my chin? my eyes? my ears? my scalp??? I tried to do the all possible sad/frustrated faces but nothing happened.

(2) Okay I'm still convinced that its something physical is tensed up and causing those symptoms and its (subconsciously happening!!!) I was close to admit that its my ears and scalp!
I went to read on what are the possible causes of scalp pain and I read about the (Occipital nerve) and its about tension in the 2nd and 3rd neck vertebrae! so yeah I was close!

I also read about the tension headache and both are related to each other symptoms but Occipital nerve can cause tension headache.

So in short, I subconsciously tense my Shouders + Neck vertebrae (maybe my ears and scalp but to a very small extent) everytime I feel stressed or anxious!!! which results to my electric zaps/tingling/burning scalp!!!!

The fact is I know its all about mental issues (anxiety and stress) but I just can't and won't get those meds! because Effexor gave my tinnitus and Lustral/Dogmatil gave me ED and low libido...

So I hope I can fix the nerves! Because I think I can handle the stress and anxiety but without pain!!!

Thanks again for your time.
I was amazed to find this post. I had the same experience as you. I got extremely worried and upset, the muscles in my back, shoulder and neck tensed up and this lasted under 2 weeks. In addition to that, I twisted my neck to try to relieve myself of the pain I was having, which likely made the situation worse. So I experienced telogen effluvium from all this almost immediately and not eating enough. Months later I was stressed again and got similar pains but to a much less severe extent. I also was getting trichodynia and times where the scalp would be red, have pain, raised spots and bleed. From my psychological state, I got hair thinning on the right vertex region of my scalp. I went to see many dermatologists and trichologists about this condition. All said what I had was male pattern baldness and a couple said it could have been triggered by telogen effluvium. I am thinking though there could be lichen planopilaris or a tiny trace of pseudopelade of brocq that they couldn't identify. It seems amazing how in seeing so many professionals none thought there could be a scarring issue involved after what I had been through. However one neurologist looked at my hair and thought it might be autoimmune related. I refuse to get a biopsy but might go the route of multiphoton microscopy or confocal microscopy to get better clarity on the situation regarding my hair.

So the question is what is the underlining reason we incurred permanent hair loss after what we experienced? Was it lack of oxygen/blood flow to the follicles, an inflammatory response or something else? The other question is what causes this electric tingling feeling in our scalps and is this a sign of permanent hair loss always?

SnortingFin

My Regimen
Reaction score
I was amazed to find this post. I had the same experience as you. I got extremely worried and upset, the muscles in my back, shoulder and neck tensed up and this lasted under 2 weeks. In addition to that, I twisted my neck to try to relieve myself of the pain I was having, which likely made the situation worse. So I experienced telogen effluvium from all this almost immediately and not eating enough. Months later I was stressed again and got similar pains but to a much less severe extent. I also was getting trichodynia and times where the scalp would be red, have pain, raised spots and bleed. From my psychological state, I got hair thinning on the right vertex region of my scalp. I went to see many dermatologists and trichologists about this condition. All said what I had was male pattern baldness and a couple said it could have been triggered by telogen effluvium. I am thinking though there could be lichen planopilaris or a tiny trace of pseudopelade of brocq that they couldn't identify. It seems amazing how in seeing so many professionals none thought there could be a scarring issue involved after what I had been through. However one neurologist looked at my hair and thought it might be autoimmune related. I refuse to get a biopsy but might go the route of multiphoton microscopy or confocal microscopy to get better clarity on the situation regarding my hair.

So the question is what is the underlining reason we incurred permanent hair loss after what we experienced? Was it lack of oxygen/blood flow to the follicles, an inflammatory response or something else? The other question is what causes this electric tingling feeling in our scalps and is this a sign of permanent hair loss always?
All I can it's nasty, disgusting pain.

YES. In my practical approach trying to solve this. I did many and experimented alot.

I think ITS RELATED TO OXYGEN/BLOOD flow to the follicles!!!!

When you're stressed your cardiovascular system gets affected thus stricts your bloodflow and yeah ofcourse it won't reach the highest point of your body which is your scalp.

I hang myself upside down for hrs, trying to push all the blood towards my scalp.

Smoked weed which makes my muscles relaxed and my heart pumps like crazy so I tried on many many times to remain calm and just feel the heart pulsating in my head.

AND YEAH HERE WHERE IT DID HAPPEN!
I felt like something MOVED in my scalp a big movement! (on my left temple) A movement in which it retracted back to its place. A nerve or an artieral went back it's original supposed to be place.

And I felt so f*****g good right after.

Once I get stressed (which i happen to be diagnosed with GAD) my heart gets on ignore from my mind and I no longer feel the blood circulates in my body and feel tingles but dude its much f*****g better than before.

And when I'm stressed my forehead, eyebrows, eye area gets squeezed I would say which also contributes for the symptoms. But damn I couldn't catch myself doing this until so recently!!! damn what stress could do to someone.

So I try to ease this area with hot pads and massage it. It helps a little.

In conclusion its a mix of things that leads to this unsettling feeling. And you have to solve each alone.

Also take Vitamine D3 10k daily it helps so much with blood circulation/ mood. its really gods gift.

combine k2 with it for maximum effect.

Vit D3 10K IU + 100 mcg K2 daily.
*Check your vitamines D (blood work)

Hope you can get back your normal life once again. this is literally one hell of thing.