I'm using Avodart.

Gejeel

Reaction score
Hello everyone.

I've been taking Avodart for over 9 months now.

I'm 26 years old, and started to notice a receding hairline when I was 24.
It was only slight, but hair loss runs in my family, so I expected it at some point or another. Stupidly, I didn't do anything about it.
It wasn't until I went travelling that suddenly it hit me.
I went to Australia with shoulder length hair (tied into a Ponytail), and at about 3 months in, I decided to get it cut due to the heat, and the fact that I felt is was falling out faster than normal (Which I put down to the change of climate, and stress of Ranch work).
It wasn't until I was on a flight to Thailand, that I noticed in one of the planes toilet mirrors that my crown was faded.
I started to get very worried.
After a couple of nights in Thailand (After being a little ill from dehydration) I woke up with ALOT of hair on my white pillow (as if it was trying to make a point!).
I started searching the internet to find a reason for this. I just wasn't convinced that my hairloss was due to my genetics, I knew it was coming, but this felt too soon.
I found a lot of stories saying how "Not to wash your hair with the shower water in Thailand" as it can damage it and cause it to fall out.
I believed this for the month I was there, and for about 6 months after finally coming home, thinking that my hair would recover.

At 25 years old (October) and with the New Year, I finally decided to do something about it.
I started using the 5% Regaine Foam, hoping for the best. I used it for 6 months, until I realised it wasn't doing anything, but making me shed. Plus, I hate putting stuff in my hair.
At this point I started reading forums and articles again.
I soon learned about finasteride and dutasteride. I did ALOT of research, and spent ALOT of time thinking.
I eventually went to my Doctor to seek advice.
She had heard of Regaine, but had never heard of finasteride or dutasteride. She looked it up, told me about the side effects (All of which I was aware of), then said she would phone me once she has spoken to her colleagues about it, in order to make a more educated decision.
A few days later, she phoned me, and told me that they had decided to NOT allow me to take try the medication, as they didn't think it was worth me risking the side effects. Side effects that I was more than willing to risk to even give it a TRY.

Well, me being me, I looked to the internet again. Looked up some online Pharmacies, and bought a month supply of Avodart (Avodart worked out cheaper, and I had also read that Avodart was more effective).
I took the month course (One 0.5mg capsule once a day before sleep), and didn't suffer a single side effect.
I have now continued to do this for the last 9 months.
I have still not seen a single negative side effect from anything listed, nor anything else.

That said, I am not even sure if I have seen any improvement. The hairloss still seems to be progressing, though I am willing to go the entire two years before giving up.

One thing I have noticed, is that I am seeing finer, lighter hairs around my hairline, as well as coming out of my crown.
Unfortunately, I have no way of telling if these are weakened hairs growing stronger, or strong hairs growing weaker. Only time will tell.

I intend to upload "Progression" pictures as a means to help anyone who may wish to see this, and maybe inspire, should this work out in my favour.

If anyone would like top pass on advice, they are more than welcome too.

This first picture is "Month 0" (This photo was actually taken when I started with Regaine, but I'm using it as my reference for Avodart, as I didn't take a starting photo for Month 0 of Avodart, as nothing had really changed.)

29.01.15 (month 0).JPG

This next one is "Month 8"

Month 8.JPG

"Month 9"

Month 9.JPG

As you can all surely tell, this "Progress" looks non-existent.

Thank you all very much for reading.

Good luck to all of you in your fight against Hairloss! May we all succeeded against this this demoralising experience!

jk1okay

Reaction score
I see progress, it can take up to a year to see good results. I've seen threads on here where people get great results after 2 years. Have patience thanks for sharing.

Folliman

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm almost 8 months on finasteride and grew little hairs in my hairline too, nothing too dramatic

Gejeel

Reaction score
Update.

After a lot of continued reading, I've started using Nizoral Shampoo as of today.
I will be using it every three days from here on.

Also forgot to mention that I have been taking a single 10,000mcg Biotin tablet every evening before bed, for about 7 months.

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Nice hairline at least. That's actually the biggest deal. You're lucky that it's just a bald spot an not frontal recession and thinning too. You'll probably recover fine. Consider adding minoxidil for extra regrowth unless you intend to get a hair transplant.

johnson222

Reaction score
ye GoldenMane is right to recover bald spot it's more easy then recover frontal recession.. in ur case i'll add minoxidil too and you will be fine.. P.C minoxidil and propecia can make you shed so its ok if you get shedding from propecia/minoxidil.

Reaction score
Hej Gejeel! about your regrowth of finer hair I believe you can see the differens if they are "new" hair or miniaturized hair by looking very closely at the tip and the bace of the hair shaft.
If the hair is thinner at the end and thicker at the bace i believe thats a new hair. VS if the hair is fine and thin all over it's a dying hair.
Im not an expert so please correct me if i'm wrong!!

GoldenMane

My Regimen
Reaction score
Healthy hairs should be thicker all the way through. They don't become thicker, rather they are shed and thicker hairs grow from the follicle in the next cycle. At least that's my understanding.

Reaction score
Im a bit split on that, my hair is full of these shorter hair and most of them are thin at the end and thick as real hair at the bace. Im sure they where not there before i started taking finasteride about 5 months ago. they started out like the classic peach fuss and now they are about 6 cm long with thin "peach fuss" tip but thick at the bace. :D
I have never had a shed so maybe thats why my new hair is the way it is...HMMMM!

Me 2 moths ago
View attachment DSC_0011.JPG

Gejeel

Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back everyone.
Just a few questions.
Can anyone suggest a cheap Minoxidil?
IF my hair does fully come back with the Big 3, will I be able to maintain it with just Avodart/dutasteride? Or would I still have to keep using Minoxidil?
And lastly, can I still use conditioner after I have used Nizoral? Or should I not bother?

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the feed back everyone.
Just a few questions.
Can anyone suggest a cheap Minoxidil?
IF my hair does fully come back with the Big 3, will I be able to maintain it with just Avodart/dutasteride? Or would I still have to keep using Minoxidil?
And lastly, can I still use conditioner after I have used Nizoral? Or should I not bother?
(1) http://www.biovea.com/uk/product_de...2&NAME=MINOXIDIL-5-FOLIGAIN.P5-6-Month-Supply.
This is the only minoxidil I use and its really [cost] effective.
(2) If you stop minoxidil after seeing results, the minoxidil-grown hair will likely be unable to stay maintained. If you start, don't stop.
(3) Apply nizoral, let it sit for 2 minutes, rinse off. Then use more nizoral, apply and massage into scalp and let it sit for ~5 minutes. After you rinse it out you can condition, or do whatever you want to your hair.

Gejeel

Reaction score
(1) http://www.biovea.com/uk/product_de...2&NAME=MINOXIDIL-5-FOLIGAIN.P5-6-Month-Supply.
This is the only minoxidil I use and its really [cost] effective.
(2) If you stop minoxidil after seeing results, the minoxidil-grown hair will likely be unable to stay maintained. If you start, don't stop.
(3) Apply nizoral, let it sit for 2 minutes, rinse off. Then use more nizoral, apply and massage into scalp and let it sit for ~5 minutes. After you rinse it out you can condition, or do whatever you want to your hair.

Thank you Digidako!

I'll do an update at the end of the month (Which will be my 10th Avodart Month), or if I happen to see any change.

Digidako

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
No problem man
If nizoral is too harsh on your scalp look into regenepure DR or Revita, both of them contain the same ingredient Nizoral does and they leave the hair nice and thick

Gejeel

Reaction score
Update.

As of today I have applied my first lot of Minoxidil.
I will be using FLOIGAIN.P5 twice a day from this point on.
I am now officially on the BIG 3.

Picture of what I am using.
IMG_0709.JPG

Gejeel

Reaction score
Update.

10th month of Avodart. 3 weeks of Nizoral. 2 weeks of Minoxidil.

Current picture.
Month 10.JPG

Still no progress. Pretty certain it is still steadily getting worse.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
This is weird. Doesn't seem to be any improvement at all. dutasteride is usually great for filling in the crown. Maybe consider upping the dose if you've experienced no sides.

Gejeel

Reaction score
I may consider upping the dosage at the year and a half/two year point if I continue to see no change. However, seeing as Avodart can be expensive, and I'm not made of money, I'd rather not.
I also want to see how my hair handles the Minoxidil for the next 6 months, as I have only been using it for a couple of weeks.

Gejeel

Reaction score
Update.

11th month of Avodart. 7 weeks of Nizoral. 6 weeks of Minoxidil.

Month 11.0.JPGMonth 11.1.JPGMonth 11.2.JPGMonth 11.3.JPGMonth 11.4.JPG

I've decide to include extra photos at different angles and distance to try make tracking this easier.

Just to be clear, to me, this still doesn't look like progress. It doesn't seem any different. And the camera quality isn't that good, so it can't show too much detail.

Gejeel

Reaction score
I hope you're buying from a trusted online pharmacy and that the lack of progress is not due to sugar pills.

I have spent a lot of time, done a lot of research, and have specifically chosen to buy from a non-trusted online pharmacy, which has a plethora of bad reviews as well as constant public hate.
Because with something so delicate, and risky as this, to do so is clearly the smartest course of action.
Anything less would be considered completely moronic.