I'm using Avodart.

lickawrist

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the game. Is avodart a prescription drug? I'm experiencing some frontal hair loss myself: hairline started receding to a NW2 during junior year. I am still an NW2, but the anterior corners are starting to thin now :( Was honestly fine with being an NW2, but now I got dealt the ****ty hand because it's starting to progress again.

Gejeel

Reaction score
I'm new to the game. Is avodart a prescription drug? I'm experiencing some frontal hair loss myself: hairline started receding to a NW2 during junior year. I am still an NW2, but the anterior corners are starting to thin now :( Was honestly fine with being an NW2, but now I got dealt the ****ty hand because it's starting to progress again.

Yes, Avodart is a prescription drug. I have to pay £24 for a prescription each time I order it. At the moment I'm ordering 3 months at a time.
I'm not sure what the deal is with it in the US, but hopefully you are able to find it. I actually think I heard that Doctors are more willing to prescript it over there.

Gejeel

Reaction score
Update.

12th month of Avodart. 3 months of Nizoral. 3 months (roughly) of Minoxidil.

Month 12.0.JPGMonth 12.1.JPGMonth 12.2.JPGMonth 12.3.JPGMonth 12.4.JPG

Have a better quality camera, so hopefully will see some more detail on any progress/regress I have.

Now, I can't see any blatant progress, but around the temple I have noticed some very fine hairs forming, even some slightly thicker ones lower down.
I'm not getting my hopes up, but maybe something is happening.

Gejeel

Reaction score
Update.

Roughly 21 months of treatment.

Now some things have changed.

As of the 20th of July 2016, I moved to Japan. Since that time, I have reduced my Avodart dosage to 1 every other day (I was only allowed to buy 6 months of Avodart at a time from my online Pharmacist, and to bring it all to Japan I needed to do some paperwork. So i have split the dosage in order to make it last a full year, at which point, I either stay in Japan on a sponsorship, and get it delivered to me, or go back to England, start on my next travel destination, and buy a new order from England).

I have also reduced my use of Minoxidil to 1.5 every evening, rather than 1 every morning, and 1 every evening.
Now there is a reason for this. I felt like 1 wasn't spreading across my whole head enough, so I added a bit extra for good measure, whether this helps or not, I don't know. But it does seem to keep my mind at ease.
I also stopped using it in the morning, as I have to get up early for work, and I don't like how it makes my hair look dry when I use it. So I save it for the evening before I go to sleep.

Everything else is the same as before.

As you will see from my pictures, I have let my hair grow out a bit.
It grows slowly, but I think there is some improvement.
If not regrowth, just a very slowed state of hair loss.
In my travels, I have met numerous people who are also going through hair loss. Some combating it. Some just accepting it.
None of these people have once pointed out/mentioned/noticed the fact that I am losing my hair. Not until I mention it myself, and even then, most have said they don't/barely notice it (Maybe they are just being polite). I see this as a good sign.
I'm not sure if it is just me, but as someone who is going through hair loss, I seem to make it a mission of mine to see it in other men.
I don't know if I do this to make myself feel better, like that reassurance that I am not the only person going through this, that I have others to talk to about it. Maybe to just silently know that I am not alone.

Anyway, rant over. I'll get to the pictures now.

GOPR0670.JPG
GOPR0671.JPG
GOPR0672.JPG
GOPR0673.JPG
GOPR0674.JPG

Now, I like to remind myself that it is a GoPro I am using for the pictures, so with the close up pictures, it is a bit fisheyed, which makes it a bit more unforgiving, but I like that. Makes me want to keep fighting, and not take this too lightly.

I'm pretty happy with the first picture, as that is what it looks like to your average person, who isn't looking too closely. The hairline is clearly receded, but in general, it doesn't look too bad.

As for the crown, I feel like it is filling in. Maybe I am being optimistic, but it doesn't seem to be blatantly obvious anymore. Guess that is up to other people though.

All in all, I like where things are headed. Hopefully I don't jinx it, but I wouldn't been devastated if this is what I had to work with for the rest of my life. That said, I won't stop fighting until I'm back to a perfect hairline and full crown.

Gotta dream big!

Thanks for reading!

Reactions: KSA

julien1200

Established Member
Reaction score
my advise : Go see another doctor and buy avodart in a pharmacy!!!!
We are hundred thousands to take it, you just found the wrong doctor man!

Gejeel

Reaction score
no sides on avodart ? you apply the minoxidil to your crown and hairline ?

No side effects what so ever. Everything down stairs is working fine. No gynecomastia.

And year, I apply Minoxidil to both my crown and hairline, I know it isn't meant to help hairline, I'm still giving it a shot.

Gejeel

Reaction score
my advise : Go see another doctor and buy avodart in a pharmacy!!!!
We are hundred thousands to take it, you just found the wrong doctor man!

I get my Avodart from https://pharmacydirectgb.co.uk/avodart.php
It's a legitimate supplier, and brand. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position to change Doctors at the moment, as I am living in Japan.
Though when I get back to England, I will try my Doctor again, and just simply state that I will be taking the medication with or without their help, so it could possibly be in their best interest to supply me themselves, and be able to monitor me.

nativeGuyNW2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Really strange,avodart should've done something by now.....whatever happens do not give up,and if it helps I'm finding your hairline really great, especially with longer hair

dralex

My Regimen
Reaction score
Probably is slowing your hair loss. I have been on finasteride for 2.5 years and am continuing to lose ground big time as well. Could be worse though I suppose....impossible to know

Gejeel

Reaction score
Really strange,avodart should've done something by now.....whatever happens do not give up,and if it helps I'm finding your hairline really great, especially with longer hair

Thanks man, I feel like I'm luckier than most, hopefully this is as bad as it gets.
I'll be adding the use of a Derma Roller into my routine soon, so maybe that will improve things (A friend of mine recommended it, and said he got massive improvement since using it).

Gejeel

Reaction score
Probably is slowing your hair loss. I have been on finasteride for 2.5 years and am continuing to lose ground big time as well. Could be worse though I suppose....impossible to know

Yeah, I feel like it is definitely slowing things down, that's for sure. Has certainly take it's time to kick in though.

Have you ever tried dutasteride? Maybe it's time to move on from finasteride?