im sick of trying

worrywart

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
What's worse, going bald but having a normal sexually functioning body or having hair and side effects? I'm on dutasteride now and it my scalp has stopped itching, and my hair is looking better I think, but I am constantly worried of sexual inadequacy and all the **** sides i experienced with finasteride. I'm so frustrated. I think I'm gaining weight and I constantly check the mirror, worried im developing gyno. This is ridiculous. Does anyone have a good reason why I shouldn't just throw the dutasteride away and shave my head in the morning and resign myself to the hideous truth? I dont know what to do

worrywart

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am not sure because I have hair every where it's just really thin on the crown and the front maybe a NW2-3

juakali

Reaction score
It's a tough decision to make, however don't be rash. You don't want to look back next year with regrets.

Derpicus

Established Member
Reaction score
All comes down to what you personally hold more value, you're obsessing over side-effects you got on a higher dose of finasteride, and the possibility of gyno. Dutasteride may not give you those side-effects and if it does and you deem the side effects to be not worth maintaining your hair and the minor regrowth that generally accompanies it discontinue.

Also I believe he means the regret that may come from wishing you would of gave dutasteride a bit more of a chance, or thought the decision out thoroughly before deciding. Because once you lose it and the hair follicles go dormant it's very hard to regrow it on topicals, and then you're stuck with the need of getting a hair transplant if you do say want to have hair.

I'm not you I don't get your side-effects you know what you can take and what you can't. But just know that gyno only happens in a very small minority.

worrywart

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're right derpicus. I decided to keep taking it. If things go wrong, I'll stop. I figure I might as well give everything a shot before I know it's not right for me. I

Derpicus

Established Member
Reaction score
My best advice, throw away dutasteride, not for your gyno which is reversible (Dun will stay on your body for 8/9 months, be aware) but because I don't recommend anyone to be on a DHT blocker...its an essential hormone to your body, and you don't need to block it to keep your hair.

Please post some studies that show you can stop hairloss without blocking DHT.

The main thing that people are skeptical about Dutasteride is that it's essentially inhibiting the 5AR-2 and 5AR-1. With the 5AR-1 being present in the brain and no one essentially knows what the long term effects of inhibiting that may be. But it has been prescribed off-label for over 10 years, and recently went under trial for FDA approval as a treatment for hair loss.

You're the type of person who may essentially scare someone from taking a drug that is beneficial in preventing the progression of hair loss in most men. Not just that dutasteride has a half-life time of 5-6 weeks. It may linger in your system for a bit longer but there's no way after discontinuation that it would stay in your system for up to 9 months after discontinuation.

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't recommend anyone to be on a DHT blocker...its an essential hormone to your body

I've heard a couple of people say this recently, but nobody states DHT's importance in adult men and I've not heard any doctors or scientists state it's importance in adult men either, it's always just speculation.

So my question to you Puto is this: what natural remedy for male patterned hair loss are you flogging?

Reaction score
I've heard a couple of people say this recently, but nobody states DHT's importance in adult men and I've not heard any doctors or scientists state it's importance in adult men either, it's always just speculation.

So my question to you Puto is this: what natural remedy for male patterned hair loss are you flogging?

I have also not heard many evidence for the fact that DHT was an essential hormone in the body. If it really would be then there would be a lot of more men reporting side effects. Obviously, DHT has its function but it can not be essential because other wise DHT-blockers would not be allowed in the market because of its side-effects.

Do the thread opener I would recommend switching from dutasteride to finasteride. Milder version with less risk and really similar effect.

worrywart

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have tried Finasteride and I didn't like the side effects I got. My libido would pretty much die during sex and it was a struggle to keep it up. Finally I had enough so I stopped taking it and after a few months I started getting back to my random stiffy popping self, but the scalp burning and itching kicked in. From my research I knew it was the DHT attacking my follicles. (In fact this was the precursor to the thinning I first experienced at the tender age of 20) So I went to my Doctor, a really nice caring guy and we decided to try the dutasteride because he said there were reports of less side effects. True to form, right away, my scalp stopped itching. I understand Puto's argument for the all natural route but in my experience, and I have been fighting this traumatizing condition for 10 years, nothing works like the pharmaceutical DHT blockers. I don't like the idea of changing my hormones and I start future tripping as to how I will be if I ever hook up with someone. The ironic thing is that my chronic low self-esteem due to my hair loss prevents me from actively pursuing women. Ha,ha....can anyone relate to this ridiculousness?

jd_uk

Reaction score
Puto..also interested in what othere methods there are of stopping hair loss without DHT. That said i wont be taking finasteride or dutasteride if i can help it.

Dench57

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have tried Finasteride and I didn't like the side effects I got. My libido would pretty much die during sex and it was a struggle to keep it up. Finally I had enough so I stopped taking it and after a few months I started getting back to my random stiffy popping self, but the scalp burning and itching kicked in. From my research I knew it was the DHT attacking my follicles. (In fact this was the precursor to the thinning I first experienced at the tender age of 20) So I went to my Doctor, a really nice caring guy and we decided to try the dutasteride because he said there were reports of less side effects. True to form, right away, my scalp stopped itching. I understand Puto's argument for the all natural route but in my experience, and I have been fighting this traumatizing condition for 10 years, nothing works like the pharmaceutical DHT blockers. I don't like the idea of changing my hormones and I start future tripping as to how I will be if I ever hook up with someone. The ironic thing is that my chronic low self-esteem due to my hair loss prevents me from actively pursuing women. Ha,ha....can anyone relate to this ridiculousness?

And you haven't got sides from dutasteride?

TinTon

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I don't like the idea of changing my hormones and I start future tripping as to how I will be if I ever hook up with someone. The ironic thing is that my chronic low self-esteem due to my hair loss prevents me from actively pursuing women. Ha,ha....can anyone relate to this ridiculousness?

I'd bet that anyone on this forum who is either single or not in a long-term relationship/married will relate precisely to this sentence.

stv227

Reaction score
I'd bet that anyone on this forum who is either single or not in a long-term relationship/married will relate precisely to this sentence.

Completely agree. I'm debating starting Propecia very soon because I worry that the types of females I have the confidence to pursue now will not be as interested down the road as my hairline recedes further.

Rudolphus

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Current options besides using finasteride or dutasteride are very limited. I'd say that your best bet is to look into Setipiprant and RU58841 if you're not going to use finasteride or dutasteride.

Regarding natural alternatives, there is very little evidence that anything natural works as a male pattern baldness treatment. The natural route is essentially a dead end. The guy in this video, for instance, has chosen to disregard proven medical treatments but instead has taken a large number of natural supplements as well as eating healthily, but as you can see from his videos posted over time, his hair is gradually getting less.

Basically, if you want to keep your hair, finasteride (or dutasteride) is by far your best weapon that is currently available.

worrywart

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
A part of me wants to just take the dutasteride until I get maximum results and then do it once or twice a week to maintain. Im just scared of permanently damaging my body