I'm Looking For Some Advice About Concealers

mery77

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I've been thinning for about a year now mainly in the vertex area, and I think I'm reaching NW3. I can cover most of it, but I have a small bold spot.

I've been using minoxidil, which hasn't been really working for me so I've started finasteride (Luckily no sides!) and nizoral shampoo 3X a week. However, I was thinking of using a concealer to cover that spot. I'm still a young man and would like to cover that bold spot.

I was wondering what concealers have you guys been using? And do you have any tips how to combine it with minoxidil application?

Thanks!

Aldrich

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Toppik is probably the most popular one. Make sure to get the spray applicator. It's not rocket science, so just experiment with it and see what works for you. Everything about hair treatment is subjective.

Zoro

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
+1 on the spray applicator, it seems like a waste of money at first but it cuts down dramatically on wasted fibers and leaves much less of a mess. I'll also add if you're going to buy Toppik, you might as well buy Xfusion instead as it's made by the same company and is cheaper. Personally I like the cosmetic effect of caboki better but i use Xfusion most days because its cheaper.

I use the minoxidil foam in the morning and rub it in, then apply the fibers a few minutes later when the foam has mostly dried. At night, I wash it out of my hair and use minoxidil liquid.

shookwun

Reaction score
toppik is sh*t. good if you want to look like someone emptied a dust bag all over you.

dermmatch all the way,

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Toppik is far from sh*t, Dermmatch is a completely different type of product, it's not fibres, it just colours your scalp, Only some people can get away with Dermmatch alone. All that does is paint the scalp brown, you need fibres to make it look like hair, if you're very thin there.

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
All I will say is that I have a GIGANTIC patch on my vertex that is roughly 85+% thin and see-through, yet with Toppik spray fibers and regular fibers, I can make it look like I have no balding back there at all. Like, zero. They're wonderful products. Of course, they have lifestyle drawbacks (can't dunk your head in water, it rubs off ob light-colored sheets/pillows etc.).

On a side note, diffuse thinning is the absolute WORST. Leaves you with ZERO viable styling options without concealers. :(

mikes23

Reaction score
toppik worked great for me. did a lighter brown first and then did the medium brown. felt this blended the crown better then just dumping the medium brown first. when I tried to just put the medium brown alone it sort of seem chalky.

sunchyme1

My Regimen
Reaction score
problem with toppik, in my experience, is the colour. the stuff either matches your hair or it doesnt.

with dermmatch, you can blend different shades to match your own hair pretty well

Emu

Established Member
Reaction score
Be careful in outside conditions,especially bright sunshine and too much toppik looks really unnatural.

Less is best with toppik. Bright lights are a no no as well..

Go lighter with the colour if possible. The darker the colour the more fake it looks.

Bklyn_23

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Also a note if you're going to use the Toppik spray fibers (the one that comes in the aerosol can) - im almost certain that my diffuse thinning has accelerated because of this. Because the spray fiber clings to the hair much more tightly and makes the hair very hard to comb through. So when you try to style it after applying, your hair can easily fall out if you're prone to hair fall. My hair comes out very easily so I've had quite a bit of loss in the past 2 years because of this.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I think there are as many products and recommendations as people who use them. Try and experiment, some of these concealers will work for you, some of them won't. I think it's a personal choice. My close colleague at work uses toppik, I use mane and volume hair plus and we are both happy with the results, noone would say we use hair concealers. I use minoxidil with concealers and haven't noticed any side effects.

Don't hear many people using Mane on here, How is it for you, and compared to fibres. Presume you using the spray? Looks very wet?

Green_Pepper

Reaction score
My father use this Fibrex Hair Building Thickening Fibers Loss Concealer. It has lots of excellent benefits. It is included in one of the best popular concealers.

Last edited:

Little_Tony

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd suggest from my experience to give minoxidil a bit more time. I noticed growth after 8 months and it seems to me it is kind of building up. Strange thing is I had used minoxidil before that for over a year and gave up. I use 5%. As to concealers I am personally not very keen on powder. I used Mane for a few months and now have recently changed to Volume Hair Plus through recommendation and I'd highly recommend it also. I'd put it somewhere in between Dermmatch and Toppik Spray so it's one spray that does the job of these two, kind of compromise. You will have experiment with concealers and find one that works best for you. But if I were you keep using minoxidil a bit longer because this is something that gives real hair.

LittleTony