I'm giving up on Dutasteride

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Well it's been 9 months on dutasteride after going almost 2 years on finasteride and as some of you may know, my experience on dutasteride has been awful.... so now I'm jumping back on finasteride and hopefully I can gain back what I lost on dutasteride. (I know that's not realistic but I'm hopeful). I just placed an order for fincar not too long ago.

Some background:
Was on finasteride for 18 months and was having great results, but my crown was slightly thinning so I figured I'd take a chance on dutasteride and hopefully my crown would thicken. Well surprise surprise, it didn't thicken... it actually got worse. Throughout the whole 9 months on dutasteride it just got worse and worse at a much faster rate than when I was on finasteride. But not only was my crown thinning, my hairline was thinning too. At first I thought it may have been because I switched to rogaine foam at the same time, but I switched back to liquid months ago and I'm still losing hair on my hairline. And right now my hair all over the top is thinning... it could just be a shed but I'm not willing to wait it out at this point.

I was planning on sticking it out for at least one year but I was recently looking at a photo album with pictures from one year ago and noticed my hairline was almost flawless. It made me wanna cry comparing it to the condition of my hairline now. It's as if all the gains I made on finasteride was wiped out in 9 months on dutasteride. I even showed my girlfriend the pictures and asked if there's a difference and she said: yeah, it was much thicker then.

Question for the dutasteride veterans: Have you all experienced something similar? I know some have said that the results didn't come till about the one year mark... but is it normal to lose so much hair non stop for 9 months? Is there still hope, or should I just consider myself a poor responder and give up before it gets any worse?

And before I end this... here's a word to anyone thinking of using dutasteride: DON'T!!!..... Just kidding.... But if you're like me and had great results on finasteride and decided to up the ante by jumping on dutasteride only because the crown was slightly thinning, then you may wanna reconsider. I lost almost everything I gained on finasteride all because I got a little greedy.

T

Timi

dutasteride was my biggest error in my Live

i have lost so many Hairs and the Rest looks very ill
i was 2Years on it

Stop this sh*t Drug

Timi

CCS

Reaction score
foam and liquid have different strengths. I think liquid is stronger, but people get good results from foam because they are more consistent with it. Switching doses could cause a shed. Could also be fake dutasteride. Who knows. You can get a prescription for real avodart from a physical US pharmacy, but the prescription costs $49 every 6 months, and the Avodart costs $100 per month. The internet based doctor prescription is a grey area, but some people have used it and were accepted by Walmart.

hair_tomorrow

Reaction score
This seems to happen to a bunch of guys starting dutasteride - unrecoverable sheds and general overall worsening of the hairloss. After maybe a year+ back on proscar, and not satisfied w/ the results, I jumped on the dutasteride bandwagon too. But there were so many horror stories out there - and upon others' recommendations - I eased into it: 1 cap a week for a few weeks, then 2 then 3.

I stayed w/ proscar that whole time alternating between the 2. I never got above the 3 dutasteride caps per week as things were getting a bit expensive.

So now I'm back on 2 (sometimes 3) dutasteride caps per week and proscar the other days. I skip at least 1 day per week where I don't take either.

For those considering making the switch to dutasteride - I'd recomend a very lengthy transition.

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
For me, dutasteride was great. I switched cold turkey from finasteride to dutasteride. I started finasteride only after going to Norwood 5 o 6.
When I switched to dutasteride, my results were better. My side hairs and the donor hairs thickened very much.

I took a break from dutasteride for the last 15 months for personal reasons. Now I am back on dutasteride.
When I was on proscar (5mg) after switching from dutasteride, my results were slightly affected.

dutasteride seems to help even my transplanted hairs look thicker.

I strongly believe that if I had been on dutasteride (0.5 mg per day) when I was Nw2 or NW3 I won't be using anything else.

T

Timi

I want see Pictures!!

but dutasteride User have No Camera :(

Timi

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
timi I have posted my pictures before (you can search HairLossTalk.com or other forums). I gave an update after my hair transplant (one year after that and 15 months on dutasteride).

Now my hair is worse (after being on finasteride for those 15 months). I will try to post soon.

Can you post your pictures where you have showed that dutasteride has failed you?

techprof

Experienced Member
Reaction score
timi,
sorry to hear that it didn't work for you.

may be I am wrong, but I don't see a NW7 there. The picture does not show the entire scalp.
did you give it a year? May be some people respond badly the raise in test. the dutasteride causes.

T

Timi

in this Picture was my Hair fuller but all hairs yellowish and ill
than all Hairs fall out very fast

dutasteride have make this was finasteride have all the Years prevented

i give it 2Years!

the Hair ist not all
my Body and my Face destroyed
fat-skin old , i have a look as a Dead Men

Timi

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies all...

I have been using generic dutasteride (dr reddy's dutas) so yes, that could be the reason for such poor results... but having had great results using generic finasteride, I don't think there's any difference between brand name and non brand name other than the price. Might be a different story for dutas, but I did read of some posters who got good results from it. But I do believe that the dutasteride was working to some degree since my hair wasn't falling out the way it did before I even started finasteride... it just did a huge number on hairline and crown.

As for dosage, I went cold turkey from finasteride to dutasteride. Didn't really mean to go cold turkey, it was mainly because my stash of finasteride ran out at the same time I received dutasteride. It might've been better for me to slowly introduce it, but personally, I don't think it would've made much of a difference seeing how after 9 months I still haven't seen any bit improvement... just one big huge shed.

But it's good to see that some of you actually are getting good results from dutasteride. Maybe sometime down the line when finasteride really stops working for me, I'll consider jumping back on the dutasteride bandwagon. But that's only if I see more people with good results and I'll probably do things a bit differently (slowly introduce it and take original advodart.... hopefully I can afford it then)

mastery

Reaction score
Hey Kalbo, just spotted this post of yours.

As before I am really struggling on dutasteride nearly 8 months in. Hair overall is weaker and I am shedding horribly minaturised hairs everwhere. Crown, hairline and diffuse thinning all being hit badly.

I recently upped my dosage to 1mg a day (2 dutas). To no avail...

I am wondering if the final answer is a 2.5mg dosage? It would kill me financially tho...

Thing is I just dont believe a return to propecia would imporve the situation as a lot less DHT would be inhibited. I have recently noticed more body hair and thicker beard growth suggesting that the amount of DHT my body is producing is overriding the Dutas.

kalbo

Established Member
Reaction score
hey mastery,

yeah i finally decided to throw in the towel after looking at some pictures from a year ago. Even today I got a comment about how my hair is thinning in the crown :( .... I guess that's when you know it's about time to give up

Hopefully you'll have a better experience with dutasteride than I had. And 2.5mg has been proven to grow a lot more hair, but the side effects (long and short term) are a bit unknown.

Good luck

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
kalbo said:
And 2.5mg has been proven to grow a lot more hair...

In Glaxo's own trial of dutasteride for hair loss, the 2.5 mg/day dose did only 11.5% better than the 0.5 mg/day dose (judging by actual haircounts). Personally, I wouldn't call that growing "a lot more hair". It's a little more effective, but awfully expensive, and the long-term health effects of taking a dose that large are unknown.

Folick

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new here and just started Dutasteride as of 31st of December 08 after being on Propecia / Finpecia for 3 plus years.
The Finasteride worked immediately after a couple of years on Rogaine; which didn't stop loss and I progressed to about a NW3, incidentally I only have frontal / temple loss. I started losing hair about 11 years ago and to look at me you wouldn't think I am even losing any at all.
Anyway I decided to join here because after the 3 or so years on Finasteride the gains had subsided; I'm not losing any hair, but I wanted regrowth so bit the bullet and ordered some generic dutasteride. Man In just over a week, hair is comming up all over the place; I can actually see my original hairline and realised how much I have lost since a teenager. If this keeps up it will fill in my whole hairline, I can't believe it.
I'm using Kirkland 5% minoxidil and some folligen aswell but they didn't do this with the Finpecia.It's like dutasteride turned on a switch.
I just don't know if the hairs will become completely like the rest of my hair? or will last but for now I am so excited. I never really got any sides with finasteride, only some lack of libido that quickly went anyway and I know it's only very very early days with this dutasteride stuff but nothing yet. By the way I never experienced any sheds in the past.

I guess thats about it for now and I'll keep you posted.

T

Timi

Folick

But what works for You

it can bee minoxidil
it can bee dutasteride

i want see dutasteride Only User and the success

Timi

Folick

Reaction score
Timi said:
Folick

But what works for You

it can bee minoxidil
it can bee dutasteride

i want see dutasteride Only User and the success

Timi

All has worked for me with regrowth to a point and maintaining, however from the moment I commenced dutasteride my hair began to grow again; I'm not talking tiny vellus blonde hair, I mean little blacks hairs; some longer than others. So surely dutasteride has contributed to this? I always consider a two product assault the best defence :p

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score

person

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Timi said:
I want see Pictures!!

but dutasteride User have No Camera :(

Timi

HA HA HA HA this dude cracks me up, Timi tells it how it is!

person