I’m Completely Bald, But I’d Like A Longer Hairstyle. Is It Possible With A Hair System?

SirMaromba

My Regimen
Reaction score
New guy here! I’ve been looking to try out hair systems and I’ve been doing some research on density, price, maintenance, etc, but there’s one thing that I’ve seen that’s left me wondering is the hair style.

The majority of hair system style in men are somewhat shorter and cut on the sides, and I’m not sure if this boils down to personal preference or just the requirement, since I’m looking to have a specific system with long, wavy hair and gradually progress to shoulder-length.

About myself: I started to lose my hair at the age of seventeen, and always shaved my head since then. People always assumed I shaved out of a personal preference, since I’ve lost count how many times they’ve asked “why do you shave your head? Why not let it grow? You’d rock the dreadlocks!”

Most often than now, however, I wear a cap or beanie, and I allowed my hair to grow somewhat. I only have hair on the sides. Norwood level? 7.

I’m 27 going on 28 in two days and I’m going to get a system for the first time but I’m just not sure how to go about it. I’m new to this so bear with me lol!

TL;DR: Should I, in advanced Norwood 7, try out a wavy hair system style? Is is possible?

Here’s are two blurred pictures of me completely bald/clean shaven.

And the others is the style I’m looking for in the hair system.

Is this style possible?

Which lace would be the best?

Has anyone tried this specific style yet? If so, how real does it look/feel?

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 83981294-6E66-4FDA-97C4-140EC4A37F2E.jpeg
    83981294-6E66-4FDA-97C4-140EC4A37F2E.jpeg
    37.1 KB · Views: 296
  • F6B48EAF-3D25-445E-86F6-0932AE1C8305.jpeg
    F6B48EAF-3D25-445E-86F6-0932AE1C8305.jpeg
    61.2 KB · Views: 316
  • CB17B415-ABFA-4609-B175-5AAA0D714FD9.jpeg
    CB17B415-ABFA-4609-B175-5AAA0D714FD9.jpeg
    43.2 KB · Views: 343
  • D2713D07-8BD6-44C6-BB3E-FF943B0F8837.png
    D2713D07-8BD6-44C6-BB3E-FF943B0F8837.png
    241.2 KB · Views: 340
  • F7F989D1-7757-4356-A8DD-54FE112F615D.jpeg
    F7F989D1-7757-4356-A8DD-54FE112F615D.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 307
  • 932F8AA6-A73B-4828-8464-7368142EEE7B.jpeg
    932F8AA6-A73B-4828-8464-7368142EEE7B.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 306

TheLoneWigMaker

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Regarding why wearers cut the sides short. Usually, Norwood 7s don't have the bio hair features to pull off thick and long side hair - in that, the temple points and nape are receding and the hair throughout is thin / not normal density. By cutting the hair short, it's not as easy to see the density issues. Some people go all the way to a 1/4 inch clipper in an undercut. Furthermore, any subtle features that create a contrast between the bio hair and system hair (color, density, wave, coarseness, dryness) are harder to see when there is less of the bio hair up against it. Finally, shorter side hair on men can create an appearance of a more square face/jaw which is seen as masculine/attractive.

It's hard to tell from the front-view pictures, but analyze your bio hair density. If you're getting it cut in at a salon, the hairdresser should be able to give you advice on what is appropriate.

As for having a long hair unit, I don't have personal experience; I've found that 2.4 inches is optimal for my look and what I feel like I can naturally get away with for blending with my bio hair. I think @BaldBearded can help you out more with that. I know some people who like doing the long hair because it can hide their thin side hair. I do know however, it can require more care. Women who wear long wigs are instructed to braid it or roll it into a cap when sleeping in it. Tangling is a concern with long hair.

Regarding lace type: I'd recommend French lace. It has a perfectly acceptable appearance, but it will be more durable while you learn how to care for and handle lace material. Once you get more experience with the lifestyle/workflow, then the more fragile Swiss is a nice-to-have.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Sir M, again welcome.

I think the current enthusiasm for that undercut style comes from two factors. First, it's quite trendy now anyway, even among guys with full heads of hair. And second, it's a great style for a guy who wears a system, because the close-cropped sides hide any thinness in your sidehair (which a lot of wearers suffer from) and the style allows you to have dense stylish hair (hairpiece hair) on top.

That said, there is no reason at all why you should not go for a system with long, wavy hair and gradually progress to shoulder-length. You will need a "full cap", which is like a wig, but custom-made from the same lightweight undetectable materials as a standard topper hairpiece. You will shave your biohair off to wear it, although there is some advantage to retaining your natural sideburns and maybe the hair on the nape of your neck. The hair growth in those areas is difficult to recreate with a hair system.

All the styles you have posted are doable with a full cap system. I would recommend you start with French lace. Good luck with your plan!

Noah

Fanjeera

Reaction score
But some people may reach this NW7 thin everywhere and receding temples and nape stage only when they're like 65. Before that they could easily enjoy different hairstyles. if you grow it long and style correctly won't the long hair of the system also help hide some thinness of bio hair?

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
There is no reason why you cannot make a success of wearing a hair system though a full cap will be a challenge to start and if you conqueror that, you will beat anything hair related. That said it may not be necessary.

I think you would need to check in with a supplier as to what they suggest on base vs hair length. A full cap is heavier than any other type of hair piece and as the length of hair increases so does the weight. The base need to be robust to cope with the extra weight; hence mono pieces.

If NW7, then get them to check if a topper will work. They have various checks they can perform. If a topper is possible then a French lace piece could work and will be a much easier intro to this world. If your side hair can carry it then those styles will be good. No hairline exposed is also easier to begin. The other option is the undercut. I have sported it in my time and with a piece it works surprisingly well.

Going from "bald" to long hair - are you ready to deal with the change and questions from friends, family, co-workers and all those in regular contact with you? Its often the hardest part of the journey.

Last edited:

SirMaromba

My Regimen
Reaction score
There is no reason why you cannot make a success of wearing a hair system though a full cap will be a challenge to start and if you conqueror that, you will beat anything hair related. That said it may not be necessary.

Going from "bald" to long hair - are you ready to deal with the change and questions from friends, family, co-workers and all those in regular contact with you? Its often the hardest part of the journey.

I see! Thanks everyone for the replies!

I planned on a subtle transition. Going for a shorter style first and as time goes on, I’ll try different systems when the time comes, therefore adopting longer styles and cuts.

My wife knows about it, and she supports me on the idea. As far as co-workers go, most don’t know I’m bald since, well, I always wear a beanie, and I let my hair grow enough that the sides show when I’m wearing a cap.

Family? Heh, I got the idea from one of them in passing. They’re open to lots of things, especially cosmetics, so I wouldn’t mind them knowing at all.

grincher

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Examples of true Norwood 7s who have made a topper work and not having to go full cap?

I would define a topper as anything that avoids a full cap and needing to attach around the nape, which is problematic for lift". So that could include any system that goes beyond the crown. Again, the density of the side hair has a major role to play here

Fanjeera

Reaction score
I would define a topper as anything that avoids a full cap and needing to attach around the nape, which is problematic for lift". So that could include any system that goes beyond the crown. Again, the density of the side hair has a major role to play here
Any before and after pics? Would be encouraging.

zen123

Reaction score
If you want long hair a wig might be easier. I'm in the process of finding one that looks realistic, then tweaking it so it looks even more realistic (tons of videos on Youtube about how to do this). A "Wig Grip" is one way to secure a wig well without glue. This is the wig, "Zara" by Jon Renau, I'm considering so far:

FCKW36

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Unluckily, my sides are very thin because I have DUPA. But it is not as important as the hair on the top fore. Could I still get away with a topper, when I go for an undercut type of style? My temple points are still at the same position but thin.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200310_003824_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    Screenshot_20200310_003824_com.android.gallery3d.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 252

Noah

Reaction score
I think you could. I have the same problem, and the undercut style works OK for me. It seems that the location of the hair, especially at the temples, is more important than the quantity. If you want to see a couple of pics you can PM me.

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Unluckily, my sides are very thin because I have DUPA. But it is not as important as the hair on the top fore. Could I still get away with a topper, when I go for an undercut type of style? My temple points are still at the same position but thin.

If you go for a cut, like a French Crop, then the temples are less important, since your hairline is not exposed.

ChrisPratty

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hair systems with long hair were quite popular amongst men in 2019. Hence, a lot of hair system companies have started designing hair systems with long hair. Companies like aplushhair and lordhair have hairpieces with long hair in their catalog. Do check them out. In addition to that, also look at the latest long hairstyles before selecting a hair system. You got to select a hairstyle that suits your face shape, Here's a hairstyle blog that will help, https://tinyurl.com/yx6k68rq
New guy here! I’ve been looking to try out hair systems and I’ve been doing some research on density, price, maintenance, etc, but there’s one thing that I’ve seen that’s left me wondering is the hair style.

The majority of hair system style in men are somewhat shorter and cut on the sides, and I’m not sure if this boils down to personal preference or just the requirement, since I’m looking to have a specific system with long, wavy hair and gradually progress to shoulder-length.

About myself: I started to lose my hair at the age of seventeen, and always shaved my head since then. People always assumed I shaved out of a personal preference, since I’ve lost count how many times they’ve asked “why do you shave your head? Why not let it grow? You’d rock the dreadlocks!”

Most often than now, however, I wear a cap or beanie, and I allowed my hair to grow somewhat. I only have hair on the sides. Norwood level? 7.

I’m 27 going on 28 in two days and I’m going to get a system for the first time but I’m just not sure how to go about it. I’m new to this so bear with me lol!

TL;DR: Should I, in advanced Norwood 7, try out a wavy hair system style? Is is possible?

Is this style possible?

Thanks in advance!

Good luck with your long hair look, buddy!

Is this style possible?

Thanks in advance!

Is this style possible?

Thanks in advance!

Fanjeera

Reaction score
Hair systems with long hair were quite popular amongst men in 2019. Hence, a lot of hair system companies have started designing hair systems with long hair. Companies like aplushhair and lordhair have hairpieces with long hair in their catalog. Do check them out. In addition to that, also look at the latest long hairstyles before selecting a hair system. You got to select a hairstyle that suits your face shape, Here's a hairstyle blog that will help, https://tinyurl.com/yx6k68rq

Good luck with your long hair look, buddy!
Nothing on that link about which long hairstyle suits which face shape.

Any long hairstyles that hide the hairline?