I'm 6 Months Into Finasteride And I'm Still Losing Over 150 Hairs In The Shower...what's Going On?

mexica2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Today I lost over 150 hairs in the shower and I've been on Finasteride for over 6 months. I know that there is a shedding phase but I don't think its supposed to last for 6 months. I got on meds to maintain what I have and for early diffuse thinning. To most it looks like I don't have much hairloss, and hair looks pretty much the same as it did when I first started finasteride but I'm not 100% sure. I noticed a lot of the hairs were miniaturized though so idk what that means. What do you think is going on?

baba_yaga

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Give it more time. You said you havent noticed any worsening, which is a good sign. Stick to finasteride. Shedding is normal.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
idk man, its fucked, ive been on finasteride for 2 months and also didnt notice any difference at all
im scared to switch to dutasteride, because the possibility of sides rises exponentially

J.Craig

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd leave duta where it's at until it'll be approved for hair loss, plus many users said it literally destroyed their HLs, and mental sides seem to be around the corner according to the Internet.. play safe, dude

Last edited:

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you sure you have AA? Have you checked your hormones levels ? Thyroid ? Minerals? Seb dermatitis ?

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
got a prescription from an urologist (through my dad). bought it at a local pharmacy (way more expensive than finasteride)
so officially you can only get it for prostate problems or something? otherwise only thourhg online pharmacies hoping that local customs will let it through? are you on avodart?

im 26, took finasteride for 2 months, then had pause for 3 months, but now back on it, i shed around 350 hairs every 2 days, my scalp is almost see through now even in dry state of hair, so im not sure if i have time to f*** around and hope finasteride wil work, thinking if i should try to hop onto duta from the get go, since i have extremely abnormally agressive hair loss, i lost 65% of my normal density in 2 years, im nw2.75 and badly diffused now

anyone here sources duta from web?

mexica2

My Regimen
Reaction score
Heres some progress pics:

Let me know what you guys think. I feel like my hair looks the same maybe a little better, but like I said in my original post, I'm still losing a crazy amount of hairs in the shower. First pics are from April 2019 and second link is from October 2019.

April 2019: https://imgur.com/3mvDb31

October 2019: https://imgur.com/qI9K1U2

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so officially you can only get it for prostate problems or something? otherwise only thourhg online pharmacies hoping that local customs will let it through? are you on avodart?

im 26, took finasteride for 2 months, then had pause for 3 months, but now back on it, i shed around 350 hairs every 2 days, my scalp is almost see through now even in dry state of hair, so im not sure if i have time to f*** around and hope finasteride wil work, thinking if i should try to hop onto duta from the get go, since i have extremely abnormally agressive hair loss, i lost 65% of my normal density in 2 years, im nw2.75 and badly diffused now

anyone here sources duta from web?

I have no idea tbh, I'm in the same boat as you (losing density + thinning on a daily basis). I felt like finasteride wasn't doing much (after ~4 months) and got desperate (switched to Duta). so what happened? you took finasteride for 2 months, correct? then stopped and hoped back on it after a 3 month break? Why did you stop taking it? I'm on Combodart

Heres some progress pics:

Let me know what you guys think. I feel like my hair looks the same maybe a little better, but like I said in my original post, I'm still losing a crazy amount of hairs in the shower. First pics are from April 2019 and second link is from October 2019.

April 2019: https://imgur.com/3mvDb31

October 2019: https://imgur.com/qI9K1U2

hard to say (given the pictures you provided). your hair certainly looks fuller and healthier in the April pictures. A lot of people here say to stick with it (finasteride 1mg/day) for a full year before making a decisive move (continue taking it or quitting it altogether)

Ummwhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for about a year and have had very good results. But at the 3-5 months and the 8-10 months I had sheds so bad I thought finasteride was making my hair fall out faster. I once shook my hands through my scalp over my desk and counted my hairs (like a crazy person) and would count 150 to 200 hairs.
I currently have no shed and my hair is much better than when I started. I also use minoxidil.
In my experience it just takes time. Taking pictures is the only way to really track. Just be patient.
I recently went to a new dermatologist to get a new prescription and she said she didn't think I needed propecia. I had to show her photos from when I first started to prove it.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have been on finasteride for about a year and have had very good results. But at the 3-5 months and the 8-10 months I had sheds so bad I thought finasteride was making my hair fall out faster. I once shook my hands through my scalp over my desk and counted my hairs (like a crazy person) and would count 150 to 200 hairs.
I currently have no shed and my hair is much better than when I started. I also use minoxidil.
In my experience it just takes time. Taking pictures is the only way to really track. Just be patient.
I recently went to a new dermatologist to get a new prescription and she said she didn't think I needed propecia. I had to show her photos from when I first started to prove it.
how was your experience with minoxidil? sides/initial shed/progress/application problems?

Ummwhat

My Regimen
Reaction score
how was your experience with minoxidil? sides/initial shed/progress/application problems?

I started minoxidil and finestaride at the same time. I have had 0 side effects other than maybe some scalp itching at the beginning.

I had 2 big sheds for 6-8 weeks each. The shed were really bad but eventually stopped. My hair is thicker than it was a year ago so I think it's all working.

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I started minoxidil and finestaride at the same time. I have had 0 side effects other than maybe some scalp itching at the beginning.

I had 2 big sheds for 6-8 weeks each. The shed were really bad but eventually stopped. My hair is thicker than it was a year ago so I think it's all working.
2 applications a day? any tips how long liqud takes to dry before you can leave home?

justbeconfident

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
so what happened? you took finasteride for 2 months, correct? then stopped and hoped back on it after a 3 month break? Why did you stop taking it? I'm on Combodart
i had started to develop slight lipomastia, luckily not gyno, dick was rubbery, libido disappeared, lethargy came around, plus i didnt source finasteride in time, so naturally took a pause and discontinued

but with time, seeing my balding head, i was forced to go and swallow the pill again

Long John Silver

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use the Kirkland minoxidil foam which drys after a minute of rubbing it in. I do that twice a day. Once before leaving the house and again usually sometime before bed.

It doesn't irritate your skin at all bro? How about the original formula?

Yar

My Regimen
Reaction score
don’t listen to fools! Throw finasteride and dutasteride into the bin. Start taking 2 mg estradiol. Estradiol in the male body is responsible for hair growth.