If You Take finasteride You Should Definitely Switch To dutasteride

celso217

My Regimen
Reaction score
Thinking about switching over. I have a script for dutas as I'm typing this that I haven't filled. I've been on finasteride since Nov 20th of 2017 so jsut over 2 years and I'm slowly losing gains. Lately, I've also noticed thining on my sideburns and edges as well. It looks like it might be alopecia retrograde. I've had zero sides on finasteride. I want to try dutasteride but I'm mostly scared of the shed tbh. My hair loss is only in my temples as of now (I'm a younger guy 23 y/o). Reading the forums it sounds like dutasteride can be pretty harsh on the hairline but is really effective on the crown. I'm assuming from your post you've had a good experience with dutasteride. Care to share any of your own personal experience with switching/shedding?

JeToker

My Regimen
Reaction score
Better to stick with the science, which suggest Dutasteride is marginally better in terms of results. If you're happy with your results and are achieving maintenance with Finasteride, I strongly suggest you stick with your current regimen, switching to Duta on the hopes of unlikely "gains" is not worth it in my opinion.

StevenGerrard

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
call me crazy but I didn't start seeing meaningful results until I started taking both finasteride and duta

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
funny.... I've been on Dutasteride (Doctor prescribed so I know its real dutasteride) and I feel like my hair has never looked worse. I was on Finasteride for 5 years and it completely transformed my hair for the positive. Old friends and family commented on the extreme change on finasteride. I felt it started to lose effectiveness and decided to take the Dutasteride plunge. No sides effects but it seems my frontal area right behind the hairline is noticeably thinner. My hair as a whole seems thinner and it's a little blonder (normally have brown hair).

I'm going to stick it out to the 1 year mark in hopes my body is slow to react. I'm going to start a separate thread for everyone at that point. I've been documenting my results with pictures.

Would love to hear from others if it gets better or sadly if it doesn't get better in their experience with Dutasteride.

Reactions: KSA

F.Coronilla

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
funny.... I've been on Dutasteride (Doctor prescribed so I know its real dutasteride) and I feel like my hair has never looked worse. I was on Finasteride for 5 years and it completely transformed my hair for the positive. Old friends and family commented on the extreme change on finasteride. I felt it started to lose effectiveness and decided to take the Dutasteride plunge. No sides effects but it seems my frontal area right behind the hairline is noticeably thinner. My hair as a whole seems thinner and it's a little blonder (normally have brown hair).

I'm going to stick it out to the 1 year mark in hopes my body is slow to react. I'm going to start a separate thread for everyone at that point. I've been documenting my results with pictures.

Would love to hear from others if it gets better or sadly if it doesn't get better in their experience with Dutasteride.

Any news?

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Any news?
Overall... I’d say it helped. My hairdresser said my hair is looking thicker but I’m also been growing it out so that may be the reason. It definitely helped me in the crown but I’m on the fence if it helped or hurt the middle Of my head behind the hairline. My before and after photos on the crown from a year apart are pretty dramatic in the positive in the crown. I have no baseline of the front And afraid the increase testosterone in the scalp might of made it slight worse.

I did add in 4mg of oral minoxidil if March so I think that has played a role in my progress as well. I’ve been off everything for about 3 weeks while my wife and I prepare to get pregnant.

I’ll say I didn’t get what I was wishing for with Dutasteride but at the year mark I can’t sign I was that much better or worst from when I was using finasteride overall. When I go back on in a month or so I may experiment with finasteride 5 days and dutasteride 2 days a week.

I’m hoping reducing it may decrease the amount of testosterone in my scalp.
I wish their were more studies out there about this stuff. I do question why GSK didn’t move forward with phase 3 clinical trials if it was THAT much better

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Overall... I’d say it helped. My hairdresser said my hair is looking thicker but I’m also been growing it out so that may be the reason. It definitely helped me in the crown but I’m on the fence if it helped or hurt the middle Of my head behind the hairline. My before and after photos on the crown from a year apart are pretty dramatic in the positive in the crown. I have no baseline of the front And afraid the increase testosterone in the scalp might of made it slight worse.

I did add in 4mg of oral minoxidil if March so I think that has played a role in my progress as well. I’ve been off everything for about 3 weeks while my wife and I prepare to get pregnant.

I’ll say I didn’t get what I was wishing for with Dutasteride but at the year mark I can’t sign I was that much better or worst from when I was using finasteride overall. When I go back on in a month or so I may experiment with finasteride 5 days and dutasteride 2 days a week.

I wish their were more studies out there about this stuff. I do question why GSK didn’t move forward with phase 3 clinical trials if it was THAT much better
It is probably for the best that you've stopped dutasteride while preparing to start a family. It seems to be what is generally recommended. In my own case, I chose to continue using dutasteride while trying for a child, and I've become the father to a healthy boy who is now five. We currently have another child on the way. I've used dutasteride continuously for the last six years. In hindsight, maybe it would have been wiser for me to go off the medication while trying for a child, but thankfully in my case there have been no problems caused.

How have you found the oral min? I had to drop oral min due to face-related side-effects (puffy eyes, dark circles around eyes, bloated face). Some guys seem to handle oral min a lot better than others.

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I definitely think my under eyes are slightly darker but it worth it because I THINK I’m getting a little growth from it.

how long did you take finasteride before switching to dutasteride? And how long before you feel like you saw really good results? I’ve heard some say on this forum that is took a year and half. Do you feel it’s still working?

It is probably for the best that you've stopped dutasteride while preparing to start a family. It seems to be what is generally recommended. In my own case, I chose to continue using dutasteride while trying for a child, and I've become the father to a healthy boy who is now five. We currently have another child on the way. I've used dutasteride continuously for the last six years. In hindsight, maybe it would have been wiser for me to go off the medication while trying for a child, but thankfully in my case there have been no problems caused.

How have you found the oral min? I had to drop oral min due to face-related side-effects (puffy eyes, dark circles around eyes, bloated face). Some guys seem to handle oral min a lot better than others.

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
dutasteride was FAR more effective for me than finasteride, really thickened up my hair... But it also seemed to start f*****g up my liver too.

So yeah it's a whole lot more effective imo, but also potentially more serious side effects from long term use.

I'm off it now and my hair looks sh*t, but liver > hair in the grand scheme of things.

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
dutasteride was FAR more effective for me than finasteride, really thickened up my hair... But it also seemed to start f*****g up my liver too.

So yeah it's a whole lot more effective imo, but also potentially more serious side effects from long term use.

I'm off it now and my hair looks sh*t, but liver > hair in the grand scheme of things.
How long did you take it before going off?

Michael1986

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I definitely think my under eyes are slightly darker but it worth it because I THINK I’m getting a little growth from it.

how long did you take finasteride before switching to dutasteride? And how long before you feel like you saw really good results? I’ve heard some say on this forum that is took a year and half. Do you feel it’s still working?
I took finasteride for about nine months before moving to dutasteride. The finasteride stopped my hair loss, and I started noticing some regrowth after about three months. The regrowth was strongest in my crown area. I noticed some minor regrowth in my temple area, but less than I was hoping for, which is why I made the switch to dutasteride in the hope that dutasteride would fill in my temples better. I also figured that since dutasteride is stronger than finasteride, what is there to gain by staying on the weaker of the two? I noticed some further filling in of my temples on dutasteride, and I've continued to have no further hair loss at all. The dutasteride has not been able to completely restore my temple loss, however, which is why I have recently added minoxidil, which I apply just to my temples. I'm currently a Nw2.5 on the left and a Nw2 on the right. I have a very bad family history of hair loss, and there's no doubt that if I'd never treated my hair loss, I'd have been in Nw5 territory or worse by now.

What's your current Norwood level? Have you stopped the oral min also at present in addition to the dutasteride?

sam333

My Regimen
Reaction score

How did you get the oral minoxidil

Upnadam10

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I only stopped the dutasteride while we try to get pregnant. I’m still on oral minoxidil. It’s only been 3 weeks so no lost progress yet. I’d have to give myself a Norwood 3 or 4. Appreciated your comments. Your positive comments on this site is part of the reason I stuck out Dutasteride when I wanted to give up.

I took finasteride for about nine months before moving to dutasteride. The finasteride stopped my hair loss, and I started noticing some regrowth after about three months. The regrowth was strongest in my crown area. I noticed some minor regrowth in my temple area, but less than I was hoping for, which is why I made the switch to dutasteride in the hope that dutasteride would fill in my temples better. I also figured that since dutasteride is stronger than finasteride, what is there to gain by staying on the weaker of the two? I noticed some further filling in of my temples on dutasteride, and I've continued to have no further hair loss at all. The dutasteride has not been able to completely restore my temple loss, however, which is why I have recently added minoxidil, which I apply just to my temples. I'm currently a Nw2.5 on the left and a Nw2 on the right. I have a very bad family history of hair loss, and there's no doubt that if I'd never treated my hair loss, I'd have been in Nw5 territory or worse by now.

What's your current Norwood level? Have you stopped the oral min also at present in addition to the dutasteride?

ajax

Established Member
Reaction score
How long did you take it before going off?

About 2 years (this time).

Also took it for longer in the past (about 5 years) without any real issues, but maybe I was just younger / healthier and my body could handle it better.

Doctor was worried about my liver this time, talk of more bloods and a scan if they came back the same, asked if I drank excessively so definitely something he was alarmed about.

Been off it for a few months now and haven't heard anything back about my latest bloods so presume everything is in the normal range again but will ring up and try to find out. Will get on finasteride if so.

Shame as dutasteride gave me fantastic results I've not even come close to achieving on finasteride previously.

KSA

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score

dutas gives me reflex androgencity every time. I have the labs to prove it. I get oilier, hornier, and shed more. dutasteride gives me imbalances where finasteride does not. In some patients dutasteride is known to increase LH pulses, and T, DHT etc. By extension