If I want a rootless appearance to my piece by coloring a light piece dark, which color do I order?

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm sick of knots and v loops showing - plus I want to be able to control my color, wathching perfectly to my bio hair and brows.

I'm assumign blonde? I have medium brown (what's usually considered 3) hair. Thanks

Noah

Reaction score
Yes. There are different grades of blond. Best not to pick the golden colour, because it shows up as a sort of yellowy glow on your scalp unless you get the dye to the very bottom of the hairshafts. The duller brass colour is better.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You should get color 22 if you only want to color it once. 20 would be acceptable if 22 not available.
613 (platinum) would give the most invisible result, but you would absolutely need to do a "filler" color unless your target color is no darker than like a level 8 blonde :)
Like for example I color pieces dark copper blonde (6/34) before adding the off black color (3) on top of that, to fill out the color. With a 20 or 22, it still gives a nicer result but you can get away without doing that.

Getting dye to the bottom of the hairshaft is totally doable with a razor cleaning brush (handle it delicately and apply no pressure)

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I've done this with a 17 or 18 in a pich and it came out really nice. Not ideal, but a good quality hairpiece with very fine v loops in color 17 came out better than the lower quality 22's with huge loops i've had more recently.

Also, if you do this with lace, you can coat the lace in got2b glued or something to keep the dye off it.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've done this with a 17 or 18 in a pich and it came out really nice. Not ideal, but a good quality hairpiece with very fine v loops in color 17 came out better than the lower quality 22's with huge loops i've had more recently.

Also, if you do this with lace, you can coat the lace in got2b glued or something to keep the dye off it.
ROFL, you're so technical.

I'm going to send you a PM, if you don't mind

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sure, go ahead.

Too technical, uhh, bro get a blonde one bro, trust me bro it'll look sick.
No, believe me I know how ridiculous all this sounds- but it's an efficient & unequivocal way to communicate this stuff.

cottonReville

My Regimen
Reaction score
Well, here's the thing @HairlessWhisper: I've heard the hair in toupees bleached and then re-colored. If that's the case, I want a unit that's been bleached & then not damaged any further. So I wonder what color that is...

Do you know anything in this regard?

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
That's a tough one. Not an option afaik. You can get virgin European hair in a light color, which is not bleached. But bleached and not recolored is not something I've seen anywhere.

This has been a frustration for me as well, the process of manufacture is large scale and very rigid, which means that hair is subject to more harmful processes than necessary. If that bothers you a lot, virgin hair would be the way to go.

Fwiw I double process all my pieces (with hair that's overprocessed to begin with) and I'm happy with the results. I treat the hair with Olaplex #3 between and after processes to restore the condition, it's an excellent product that I highly recommend. And keep in mind you're only depositing color, not lifting it- so using less peroxide with the 10 vol developer.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Another thing you can do is allow the color to partially develop in the bowl before applying to the hair, and then leave it on the hair for less than half the recommended time to minimuze damage. I do that a lot.

Soren123

My Regimen
Reaction score
How difficult is it to dye 22 to 1b on lace with exposed hairline? My stylist did 3 to 1b before and stained the lace, permanently ruining it so now I just do 1b and try my best to hide the roots with an over dense hairline (better than the alternative and my side hair supports it).

mrdavies

Established Member
Reaction score
wouldn't it b easier just to bleach the knots instead of trying to dye all the hair?

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Many factories use textile dyes for the darkest colors like 1b, in which case only fabric dye remover will lift the color. Bleach won't do anything but damage the hair at the knots in that case. Depositing color is much gentler on the hair than bleaching it, but with lace there's an added risk of ruining the piece if you stain the base (with poly it's not too noticable unless you're really sloppy). You have to coat the lace in something like Got2b glued to keep the color off.

1b is a New Image Ring color, so technically you won't be dying the hair 1b. That's probably for the best since 1b is a weird color that doesn't seem to give anyone an exact match. You'll most likely be using a hair color in color 3 which is a natural off-black.

Soren123

My Regimen
Reaction score
Many factories use textile dyes for the darkest colors like 1b, in which case only fabric dye remover will lift the color. Bleach won't do anything but damage the hair at the knots in that case. Depositing color is much gentler on the hair than bleaching it, but with lace there's an added risk of ruining the piece if you stain the base (with poly it's not too noticable unless you're really sloppy). You have to coat the lace in something like Got2b glued to keep the color off.

1b is a New Image Ring color, so technically you won't be dying the hair 1b. That's probably for the best since 1b is a weird color that doesn't seem to give anyone an exact match. You'll most likely be using a hair color in color 3 which is a natural off-black.

So I apply got2b glue to the front hairline (and maybe 1-2 inch into the hair system) and then just dye the hair using a color 3 dye? Obviously don't care about staining the lace if it's not visible. What brand do you recommend?

And how do I remove the glue after? Can I usd vaseline instead (seems to also prevent staining)? Seems better for the hair than glue.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You would coat the entire base in white got2blued (yellow bottle) or another water soluble product. Spread it on thick, make sure it seeps through so that the topside of the lace is also coated. Yes, vaseline is great for this, but it will be a huge pain to get it off the lace afterwards. With got2b glued simply rinse it off afterwards.

Wella Koleston Perfect is usually the best looking color but a demi color like L'Oreal Excellence Creme in 3 or Wella Color Charm Demi-Permanent Color in 3N/3-0 would bleed less and fade slower on the overprocessed hair. Use a 10 vol developer. I'd go with Wella. If you MUST buy the L'Oreal Excellence Creme kit from the pharmacy instead of separate color and developer, mix the developing creme included with water in a 1:1 ratio and only use half of it.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I use Koleston Perfect mostly even tho it's a permanent color, when combined with 10 vol developer it's basically working like a demi-permanent color anyway.

Soren123

My Regimen
Reaction score
You would coat the entire base in white got2blued (yellow bottle) or another water soluble product. Spread it on thick, make sure it seeps through so that the topside of the lace is also coated. Yes, vaseline is great for this, but it will be a huge pain to get it off the lace afterwards. With got2b glued simply rinse it off afterwards.

Wella Koleston Perfect is usually the best looking color but a demi color like L'Oreal Excellence Creme in 3 or Wella Color Charm Demi-Permanent Color in 3N/3-0 would bleed less and fade slower on the overprocessed hair. Use a 10 vol developer. I'd go with Wella. If you MUST buy the L'Oreal Excellence Creme kit from the pharmacy instead of separate color and developer, mix the developing creme included with water in a 1:1 ratio and only use half of it.

Very helpful. How do you apply the glue exactly? Just with fingers? It sounds like you basically lather it in thick underneath the lace rather than on top directly? Then just wash off after the dye is dried?

So I get the Koleston, get the Wella, mix them together (entire package of both?) and then spread it on with a comb that I dip into the mix? Then wait some time and rinse it off (along with the glue)?.

Will I get close enough to the root with the comb or should I use that razor brush you mentioned instead?

Just want to make sure the 22 root doesn't look weird with a dark colored shaft but otherwise seems like a fantastic idea.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You can also order a lace hairpiece in 1b with only the front inch in 22 if you only want to color the front. It will be slightly different in tone but no worse than the mismatch between your bio hair and the 1b. You can comb the color through the rest of the hair for only the last couple of minutes also, just to tint it a little for a better match.

No, don't lather. Spread it on with a popsicle stick or tongue depressor. Press it onto a foam head, let it seep through.

Yeah, you should probably use the razor cleaning brush.

The color won't dry. You rinse it out when it's done processing (the hair looks dark enough, use the instructions as a rough guide for processing time but you have to eyeball it).

Be very careful with coloring lace. Sorry for truncated reply, i'll give more detailed instruction later.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Cut in the piece first, then color. You won't need the whole bottle in that case. Easier to color that way too. Amount of color needed depends on length of hair.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Sorry i see how my post was unclear. Brand of developer doesn't matter. I mean't i'd go with wella color over loreal color. Koleston perfect and color charm are two different lines of wella brand color. Color charm comes in both permanent and demi permanent. Color charm Demi permanent will bleed less. Koleston perfect is a little nicer looking imo.