If finaesteride increases testosterone????????

sk8charlie

Reaction score
If finaesteride increases testosterone, then doens't it explain why you lose your hairline when u take it? At least in my case, my hairline is weaker ever since i took Fiaest. but the back of my hair is thicker. I know that the hairs on the front are sensitive to testosterone as well as DHT. does this make sense? someone explain.

Effects of finasteride on serum testosterone and body mass index in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia.

Roehrborn CG, Lee M, Meehan A, Waldstreicher J; PLESS Study Group.

University of Texas Southwestern Medical Center, Dallas, Texas 75390-9110, USA

OBJECTIVES: To examine the effect of finasteride on serum testosterone in men with benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH). METHODS: The Proscar Long-Term Efficacy and Safety Study (PLESS) was a 4-year trial comparing the safety and efficacy of finasteride 5 mg with placebo in 3040 men with moderate to severe symptomatic BPH and enlarged prostates. PLESS included the prospective measurement of annual serum testosterone in a randomly selected subset of patients comprising approximately 10% of the randomized population (n = 301). RESULTS: Finasteride treatment led to a modest, but significant (P <0.001), increase relative to placebo in serum testosterone, with this increase greatest in patients who had low baseline testosterone levels. The larger testosterone increases seen in finasteride-treated patients in the lower baseline testosterone tertiles were associated with significant mean reductions relative to placebo at year 4 in body mass index (BMI), ranging from 0.6 to 0.8 kg/m2. No statistically significant between-group difference was found in BMI in the upper testosterone tertile. The sexual adverse experience profiles for finasteride and placebo were similar across the baseline testosterone cohorts examined. CONCLUSIONS: Finasteride treatment led to a generally modest increase relative to placebo in serum testosterone, with the greatest increases occurring in men with low baseline testosterone levels. The physiologic significance of these changes in men with low baseline testosterone levels is unclear, but the associated reduction in BMI is intriguing and may be related, because BMI is known to be negatively correlated with serum testosterone levels in men.

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
so u are saying that, using finasteride increase testosterone level ( which is true), which in turn screw up hair line. So, my question is, what is the point of talking finasteride then??? isn't it suppose to make your hair line better???

HARRYH

Reaction score
Been taking finasteride for a year now. In my case I've had hairline regrowth, but none on the crown. So I suspect it will be different for each individual.

HH

Mitter

Reaction score
hi all diffrent guys in hairloss Talk

I am not so sure what all diffrent worms mean like >>testosterone,<< or other like >>symptomatic BPH<< but maybe I am believe frinastiride is makeing men feel little like lady feels, not like sexy but simlar to homsexual

thankyou

Branco

G

so in my case (ONLY taking finasteride for hairline, have NO problems elsewhhere..) its stupid taking the sh*t????? g-sus....

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Testosterone does not cause hair loss, DHT does. DHT is a breakdown product of testosterone. Propecia blocks this conversion so there is more free testosterone and less DHT. Since there is less DHT there is less hair loss.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Thinning said:
Testosterone does not cause hair loss, DHT does.

I wouldn't bet the farm that testosterone doesn't cause hair loss.

Thinning said:
DHT is a breakdown product of testosterone. Propecia blocks this conversion so there is more free testosterone and less DHT.

Actually, Propecia causes higher testosterone levels because DHT is a player in the brain/gonadal feedback loop that controls its production. When there's a sharp decline in DHT, the brain sees that as a lower general level of androgen, so it sends hormonal signals to the testes to increase the production of testosterone. Ergo, more testosterone.

Bryan

Thinning

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
I wouldn't bet the farm that testosterone doesn't cause hair loss.

What a stupid thing to say. If you are suggesting something either say it and back it up or dont say it.

Lets see the supposed info that says testosterone causes hair loss and DHT does not.

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
Have you ever seen the in vitro studies showing the effects of testosterone (not DHT) on both human and stumptailed macaque hair growth? :wink:

Bryan

Bryan

Staff member
Reaction score
They showed that testosterone inhibits the growth of scalp hair cells and follicles, of course...

Bryan

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
Bryan said:
They showed that testosterone inhibits the growth of scalp hair cells and follicles, of course...

who showed?

arya

Established Member
Reaction score
arya said:
Bryan said:

who showed?

Never mind. got it, and now I am more confused.

More u know, more confused u get, I guess. :cry: