If Dht Level Is Already Low Will More finasteride Or Dutasteride Make Any Difference?

GP86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i just got my dht test back and I’m at a dht level of 10 which I think is low. Yet I’m still losing hair. Am I right in thinking that increasing my dusateride or Finasteride intake would do absolutely no good at this point since my dht is already low and these drugs primary purpose is to reduce dht level? Or would it be worth a try to increase dosage?

Ritchie

My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it will most likely make a difference. The amount of dht doesn't matter. It's all about how sensitive your hair follicles are.

GP86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok. Thanks. Didn’t know that. It’s worth a shot to increase dosage then.

Oromus110

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yes, it will most likely make a difference. The amount of dht doesn't matter. It's all about how sensitive your hair follicles are.
What the hell? If the amount of dht doesn't matter, then why finasteride and dutasteride - medications that lower DHT are effective? Also, why do you recommend him to increase the amount of fina/duta he takes if you don't think the amount of DHT matters? Your comment makes absolutely no sense.

Ritchie

My Regimen
Reaction score
What the hell? If the amount of dht doesn't matter, then why finasteride and dutasteride - medications that lower DHT are effective? Also, why do you recommend him to increase the amount of fina/duta he takes if you don't think the amount of DHT matters? Your comment makes absolutely no sense.
Okay then. My post wasn't worded perfectly. The amount does matter but not in that kind of way. You can have a sh*t ton of dht but keep all your hair because your hair follicles aren't sensitive to it. And you can have a very small amount but lose all your hair because your follicles are more sensitive to dht.

GP86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
So back to my question. If my dht is low would it make any difference to increase by finasteride or Dutasteride intake. I was a good responder to both but effects seem to slowly wear if and back to losing ground. So thought maybe increasing dosage might help maintain for longer period? Thanks for the responses.

GP86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Or stated more clearly has anybody had success with increasing amount of finasteride or Dutasteride taken, after progress slowed or stopped with original dosage?

Retinoid

My Regimen
Reaction score
Unfortunately serum dht has very little to do with hair loss. It is the localized conversion INSIDE the hair follicle sheath that cause gradual shrinkage and shorter growth cycles of the hair. Finasteride inhibits 5AR2 which is located in many tissues incl the hair follicle sheath.

Jakejr

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Get a tube of estrogen gel. 15% minoxidil/ Finasteride, Spironolactone cream. Microneedling. Suggestions when all else fails.

stachu

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Would suggest you to add some kind of topical antiandrogen. RU or more mainstream drug now CB.

PS. I am on Dutasteride, minoxidil + RU combo. Not mentioning keto or dermaroller from time to time.

GP86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks. Where do you purchase items like CB, 15% minoxidil, or spironolactone cream?

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i just got my dht test back and I’m at a dht level of 10 which I think is low. Yet I’m still losing hair. Am I right in thinking that increasing my dusateride or Finasteride intake would do absolutely no good at this point since my dht is already low and these drugs primary purpose is to reduce dht level? Or would it be worth a try to increase dosage?
What dosage are we talking about?
Btw you should exclude other patterns that may lead to hairloss before considering higher dosage of a drug which has a flat line response like finasteride.
Hormonal imbalance for example is an indipendent way to induce hairloss

GP86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I am currently taking .5 mg of Dutasteride daily. Was thinking of adding in finasteride daily.

GP86

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you saying increasing Dutasteride intake or adding finasteride daily while I’m already taking Dutasteride daily could increase hair loss?

badhabiz

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Are you saying increasing Dutasteride intake or adding finasteride daily while I’m already taking Dutasteride daily could increase hair loss?
Of course not.
Im saying its pointless if you goal is to inhibit dht serum and scalp, since you're already doing it.

You may want to consider to check your yourself because there are several patterns that can induce hairloss, like severe lacking of vitamins or minerals, low dopamine or serotonine levels, thyroid issues, hormonal imbalance etc
Are you sure you have AA?
Btw even if you have AA since you're already inhibiting dht, you can try different angles, like dermarolling and minoxidil