I tryed Toppik for the first time today, I'm Amazed!

ShedMaster

Reaction score
Yeah its good stuff, expensive though. I remember when I first started losing and I didn't care how much it cost, it was like a dream in a can.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
ShedMaster said:
Yeah its good stuff, expensive though. I remember when I first started losing and I didn't care how much it cost, it was like a dream in a can.

a 25g bottle has lasted me a year. It cost £25. How is it expensive? How much do you guys use??

Nene

Reaction score
monty1978 said:
I heard it's no good for the hair line though?

It can look unnatural on the hairline if you're not careful. It's mostly good for making thin spots look thicker.

Mens Rea

Reaction score
monty1978 said:
I heard it's no good for the hair line though?

Its more for the diffuse thinner

I mean, it can help give coverage and maybe let u style your hair a little more forward but it wont create a hairline

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Monty, what's your take on the Jason Thin to Thick? You recommend it, I saw it yesterday for the first time. Well pricey though

Nene

Reaction score
I want to add that I think those guys used a little too much Toppik. In the second video I think the hair looked unnatural as it was a different color and there was too much of the stuff.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
monty1978 said:
A shampoo is just a shampoo unless it has keto in it.

Thin to thick just happens to be my favourite non male pattern baldness benefitial shampoo. It won't do anything to stop your hair loss but....

Lasts forever, doesn't over dry your hair and has nothing evil in it!

Are you looking into jasons to go au natural?

If that's the case bicarbonate of soda is cheap and exfoliates the scalp.

and apple cidar vinager is the best conditioner on the planet in my opinion and vital if you use bicarb or 2% nizoral.

Thanks Monty, no, not au natural, still need concealers. I've tried all the usual suspects, but yet to find any shampoo that really does thicken the hair in a way you'd notice. There are some pop ups on the web that say it causes hairloss. I've bought the thin to thick shampoo and spray today anyhow, I'll give them a go.

Have you not tried any of the concealers yet?

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I know alot of people rave about Toppik, not my fave, but if you do need something try Nanogen as well. Most prefer one or the other and you can get from them direct as they are in the UK. Some stores sell it now too.

Anthony83

Established Member
Reaction score
Been using topic for 6 years now....my 2 cents to help out a bald brother. Good and Bad points.

1. The more Toppik you use, the less natural it'll will look. Less is more sometimes. Don't go nuts with with stuff, especially around the hairline.
2. The spray applicator is worth every cent. Buy one...buy two, one for backup! It makes it look so much more natural and is easier to apply.
3. I agree with the above post...hair spray is KEY.
4. As your baldness gets worse, you will need more Toppik...this creates problems. When you have more on your head and start to sweat, it can turn a weird green/brown color. It can be very unsightly. I have countered this by wearing a Nike pro fit hat when I work out so people can't see the green sweat.
5. Hard rain will make it come off...always have an umbrella.
6. Toppik is awesome...almost too good sometimes. I frequently forget I am bald at times...which lead me at times to be lax on taking finasteride or using Nizoral. Therefore, over the years, my hair has really deteriorated. Therefore, stay up on your meds. Also, it will be tough when you want to stop using Toppik...because one day you will have hair, and then the next, you won't. People will be confused.
7. I sometimes dread taking vacations with ppl and staying in the same room. You don't know what you will look like in the morning sometimes. Also, if you get a hotel room where the mirror and sink are on the outside of the bathroom, you have to make sure the room is empty before you put Toppik on.
8. I haven't gone swimming since I started using the stuff.
9. ALWAYS HAVE A HAT AVAILABLE. Or a travel container of Toppik, in case it gets messed up.
10. It does get on pillows a lot.
11. Don't let girls run their hands through your hair excessive. A few times is OK, but if they keep doing it, it'll come off slightly.
12. When you put it on, run a comb through your hair to mix it in. You don't want it just sitting on top of your head.

Overall, I love the stuff...but it has cons and well as pros.

meccs

Reaction score
Has anyone tried dermmatch? I read about 'IH Thickener' which should be the same as Nanogen but a lot cheaper ($15). But I couldn't find this product anywhere.

Esprit

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Mita said:
Has anyone tried dermmatch? I read about 'IH Thickener' which should be the same as Nanogen but a lot cheaper ($15). But I couldn't find this product anywhere.
Depends on your hair, Advanced crown loss I found it pretty lousy, but all over thinness, I'm sure it's great...

cuebald

Reaction score
what do you all make of this?

[youtube:1jp1fv4h]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qKlD4P7eXQ&feature=related[/youtube:1jp1fv4h]

agent00

Established Member
Reaction score
I think Anthony brings up some good points. I've been a toppik user for a few months now and I must say it's changed my life, it's so liberating not having to wear a hat everytime I go out. Hairspray is key. Some people have panned that toppik hair spray, but I must say it works pretty well and it smells a lot less than regular hairspray. I usually use both just in case

However I've recently switched over to Fullmore. I was a little reluctant at first to use "hair in a can" but so far it's really good. The stuff lasts for DAYS on a small coating. It looks a lot more fuller than Toppik and it's more consistent in terms of coverage. I use toppik with the spray applicator (I agree with the consensus that it's money well spent) to "fill in" certain areas.

I must say Fullmore is rather messy. Make sure make sure you have a clean pillow case everytime you go visiting somewhere (I know it may be weird carrying a pillow case around, but it'd be a lot weirder explaining why there is this brown stuff on your hosts pillow). It also makes a mess in the shower when you combine it with shampoo so make sure you give the bathtub an extra wash before heading out or else your tub will be stained. I didn't have any of these issues with Toppik, but Fullmore is still a better product IMO.

randomtask

Reaction score
I tried toppik for the first time yesterday and I am absolutely blown away. I am confused about some of the complaints others have made:

- I only used a light sprinkle so there was very little mess.
- I didn't even use hairspray. After applying and patting/combing through, I let it rest for 20 mins or so and used my regular lightweight wax to style. None of the toppik came off during the wax (or if it did, it wasn't noticeable at all).
- After applying wax I (or anyone else) can run their hands through my hair multiple times and looks at their hands closely afterwards and they will see nothing.
- I slept with my toppik in. There is absolutely nothing on my pillow, and when I woke up it looks even better! Messy bed-head with no thin patches, I LOOK AMAZING!!!

To all the people who are experiencing issues with toppik making a mess / coming off / staining their pillow etc... I'd have to say that you're using too much. On some of the videos on youtube I see people trying to cover entire large bald spots with it. I must say that I think the ideal candidate is a mild diffuse thinner, I think once you start seeing clear shiny skin then using a product like toppik becomes more hassle than it is worth. Light sprinkles only.

I never thought concealers could be this good. I heard nanogen nanofibres are even better?! And dermmatch? Wow so many options and I hear they're all good! I feel like I've been given a new lease of life or something. My hair has been thinning very slowly since my late teens and I am now in my mid 20s, but as I said it's very slow and I still have full coverage. If my hairloss continues at this slow rate I think I can get away with using concealers relatively hassle free into my 40s. It is certainly a more appealing route than rubbing stuff into my head and taking pills which could stop my crown jewels working!

meccs

Reaction score
I got my DermMatch last week. I have short (buzz 4), very dark hair with diffuse thinning especially in the front. I used DermMatch for the first time today. Without knowing what to do, I just put very very little on. I didn't even think that I had anything at all on my head. I stepped one step away from the mirror and was blown away.
I was under the impression I had to color my scalp black. Like a shoo polish. But no! It darkens the skin just a teeny tiny bit and clings to the little colorless hair just enough to make it look great.
I think DermMatch works best if you have dark hair tho.

BUT: I still don't know how to used it in combination with minoxidil! I use minoxidil before going to bed and wash my hair in the morning. When I put on some DermMatch after that I probably have to wash my hair again before applying the minoxidil...

Rutt

Established Member
Reaction score
Interesting

I dont have any thinning to speak of but my temples are pretty badly recessed

theres a good amount of thin hair hanging over, would toppix work to move that hairline down a little bit?