I think I've just cured it.

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
evil western meds for the win!! i think u guys will be sorry because if u have noticed hair thinning already it means the gene is in fact turned on and it will most likely never ever shut off, but western meds do work.

Hoppi

Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
evil western meds for the win!! i think u guys will be sorry because if u have noticed hair thinning already it means the gene is in fact turned on and it will most likely never ever shut off, but western meds do work.

ok a) do you have proof of this gene being "turned on" at all?

and b) these ARE meds! lol finasteride is on my list, and the other things lower testosterone, are anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial etc.

EDIT -- The irony here of course is that Brain's Expel Hair has DONE it! lol This isn't speculation about "maybe this will work..." :)

Another guy on a different forum did it with diet too :)

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
yes like a wise man on this forum once said i dont remember who but i will paraphrase "if you think u are losing hair... u probably are.." , and the sad truth is hes right and the hair lost never regrows the same but you can absolutely hault your hair loss by use of evil western pharms. try not to fall victim to the snake oil salesmen of the "hollistic healing" world. they wanna sell u 20 kinda of pills with who knows whats really in them its madness when there are miracle drugs like finasteride and minnox out there. but like i said it's YOUR hair do as u please i'm in position to judge u i'm just calling a spade a spade ya know? if u wanna guinea pig this crazy regimen i'm all for reading about the progress but due to the poor reputation and lackluster results attained from the "hollistic" idea i remain very skepticle

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
i would say to u hoppi dont bank on what other ppls crazy results are... use the fundamentals.... the proof is this... U HAVE NOTICE THINNER HAIR bam GENE IS ON it may not bring u to a nw7 but it will eat your hairline slowey and u will most likely never regrow whats lost..... but the fundamentals (finasteride minoxidil nizoral) almost always give results in just about all men atleast as far as haulting and maintaining your hair.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi, I have opted to not reply to anything you've posted, but I think I've had enough.

First of all, it is pretty foolish to tell other people that a diet is going to help them with androgenetic alopecia when you're not their doctor and there is no medical evidence that it will be effective. Do you realize, if a new hair-loss sufferer strolls through these forums and decides to take your advice, you could be leading them down a dangerous road where they will just end up wasting their time, money and most importantly their precious hair. You have not even had a regimen long enough to see if these things are working for you, yet every time someone new comes here asking for advice, you are the first one to reply. You have been studying hair loss and posting on these forums for less than two months, you shouldn't be giving anyone advice.

GeminiX

Reaction score
Hoppi, I like you, you're so enthusiastic in your faith in holistic snake oil, it's good to see. If I had £1 for all the times people tried to stop me doing what I felt was the right path in my life I would have, well about a tenner, but you get the idea.

*HOWEVER*

You already agreed that it was iressponsible to claim your miracle cure is going to work before you had hard evidence to back it up, and you told me that you were going to go away and research it properly and gather some *facts* about your claims.

I really have to agree with the sentiments of seaback and tibo above me that you really need to stop trying to convert others to your "faith".

Please, by all means, go and get your evidence, *prove* us science fans are wrong. It's important to follow what you believe in and not be a sheep, but you must stop battering people over the head with it until you have demonstratable evidence to back up your claims.

To quote the great Tim Minchin - “Alternative medicine is medicine that has either not been proven to work or been proved not to work. You know what we call alternative medicine that’s been proven to work? ... MEDICINE!â€￾

Hoppi

Reaction score
Right ok look...

I'm aware that again I have been changing my stand on things a bit and I've done this a few times as I've learnt new things. This is probably throwing up the biggest hurdle in seeing eye-to-eye with people, as every time I discover something new that feels significant I go "OMG OMG OMG!!" and post it all over the forum lol

But the reality of this guys is that this stuff DOES matter. People with increased insulin resistance DO impact their other hormonal levels, they DO impact their free testosterone levels and yes this DOES have an affect on DHT-sensitive hair follicles. You don't need to be a genius to work this stuff out you just need to do a bit of impartial research. Do you guys (seaback etc) even know what SHBG stands for? And if you know what it is how can you POSSIBLY say it plays no role in your body's ability to regulate hormones crucial to male pattern baldness? Anyone with the tiniest bit of real medical knowledge will say that the health of the liver impacts the speed at which you will bald, although of course they will argue over the exact impact it has. This is because a healthy liver can produce more SHBG which will mop up more free testosterone. It's simple, simple stuff :(

Now, if you're blasting your body with Finasteride then yes you may offset this because even though your free T may be too high your 5ar is so low that relatively little of it can be converted into DHT, systemically or within the scalp. But I still believe it's healthier and more effective to treat things like this at source.

And for the record I wish people would stop claiming I am denying the role of genetics in male pattern baldness. Saying that is ludicrous and only convinces me more that you are not really taking things on board you are just giving a knee-jerk reaction to something that doesn't agree with your way of thinking. Of course genetics plays a role. I am sitting here with a bit of hair loss because my genes make me susceptible to it. What I am questioning though if you're so clever seaback is where the actual PROOF is that diet and lifestyle (or age or whatever) turn on the "male pattern baldness gene", and that it isn't simply exhibited when your androgens reach more mature levels or when your body absorbs certain toxins or short-term stimuli.

I'm not even saying it's necessarily not true, but I've seen more evidence to the contrary now and so I want PROOF that it is true. Is that so much to ask?

As far as I can tell if it was true then Brains Expel Hair would still be losing hair, and that other guy on a different forum who cut out inflammatory food from his diet would still be losing hair. But I could be wrong on this so please PROVE it to me.

Right, that aside, I am not arguing that DHT doesn't cause hair loss in those of us that are genetically susceptible. I am also not arguing that some people's follicles might be so damn sensitive that even the most perfected DHT/T levels will still force them to miniaturize.. What I am saying is that there may be other factors involved here. I know for a fact that overall hormonal balance and levels will affect T/DHT levels among other things, and that is why I listen to people like Brian when he mentions hypothyroidism and when people mention liver health. Because you sit there and you think "yeah, yeah that probably would do it...". And so the only way to prove or disprove it is to TRY it.

I guess what I find the most disturbing is just HOW closed minded many people are to this stuff. Proof that anti-inflammatories, antimicrobials, antioxidants, inaccurate thyroid glands, unhealthy livers, toxins and other factors don't have an impact on hair loss would be appreciated too. The fact that that things like anti-inflammatories and antimicrobials seem to help topically clearly means nothing for their ability to help systemically..........

I know it's a nice simple world when you can just say "oops the gene is on now take lots and lots of finasteride because that's all you can do", but I'm going to need proof that people don't just believe that because of it's simplicity.

Hoppi

Reaction score
Incidentally in my case it might be largely hypothyroidism as I can't get this (after waking up or midday) axillary temperature to rise above 36.3 (usually it's about 35.9) which apparently is on the low side and indicates an underactive thyroid. This can apparently cause hair loss, and will certainly affect my body in other ways if it's true.

I'm a noob to the thyroid side of this though so I'm gonna keep looking into it, and take my temp a few more times to clarify the readings.

This would also explain why my skin suddenly changed (drier, thinner, paler), at roughly the same time my hair probably started to be affected. It possibly was coincidence, but I'm suspicious, let's just say that! :)

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
I know it's a nice simple world when you can just say "oops the gene is on now take lots and lots of finasteride because that's all you can do", but I'm going to need proof that people don't just believe that because of it's simplicity.

I have never said anything about a gene turning on.

Hoppi, that post is exactly what I expected, you are trying to justify your childish behaviors. YOU HAVEN'T EVEN TRIED OUT YOUR OWN THEORY. For all you know, regulating you hormone/insulin levels might not even affect hair counts. It has never been clinically tested, and there is no medical studies available that show it has a poiitive effect on hair. You don't know, but you sit on these forums and recommend it to people as treatment. You are a fool!

Does it really not occur to you that you joined these forums barely over a month ago? Yet, you have the cajones to ask me if I know what SHBG is? You should go back and reread some of your posts in early February. It would be a humbling experience for you. You were incredibly ignorant with questions that you tried to ask other people, and still are imo. Forgive me if I don't believe that you figured out in the last month what doctors and scientists have been trying to do for the last hundred years. It is laughable that you let ridiculous websites, which have absolutely no clue about male pattern baldness, shape your argument.

I would say, come back in 6 months and tell us if your hair improved because of your diet. Although, I don't even believe that you possess the integrity to tell the truth.

bigjohnson

Established Member
Reaction score
all i'm saying is the clock is ticking for your hair count.... do u want a nice youthful hairline for your life? or not its your choice..... eat up the snake oils and pray to budda that u will beat male pattern baldness which is highly unlikely. finasteride AND MINNOX work with no side affects and ppl have kept their hair for decades longer using these drugs... but hey if u wanna be the bigger man and try to do some kinda of unconventional treatment be my guest. i'm only trying to help u keep your hairs but if u dont care about whats scientifically proven and has worked for decades i respect that and go on with your way. but i did my part!! my part in raising awareness against sketchy snake oil hollistic ideas which almost if never pan out.

bezerra

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi,

Couldn't you make your posts a bit more clear? You should do something like this:

If you raise your SHBG/Insulin levels then your hair loss will be weaker. For that you should do: bla bla bla and eat things: bla bla bla.

Hoppi

Reaction score
bigjohnson said:
all i'm saying is the clock is ticking for your hair count.... do u want a nice youthful hairline for your life? or not its your choice..... eat up the snake oils and pray to budda that u will beat male pattern baldness which is highly unlikely. finasteride AND MINNOX work with no side affects and ppl have kept their hair for decades longer using these drugs... but hey if u wanna be the bigger man and try to do some kinda of unconventional treatment be my guest. i'm only trying to help u keep your hairs but if u dont care about whats scientifically proven and has worked for decades i respect that and go on with your way. but i did my part!! my part in raising awareness against sketchy snake oil hollistic ideas which almost if never pan out.

you're funny :)

Hoppi

Reaction score
bezerra said:
Hoppi,

Couldn't you make your posts a bit more clear? You should do something like this:

If you raise your SHBG/Insulin levels then your hair loss will be weaker. For that you should do: bla bla bla and eat things: bla bla bla.

Basically, the role of the Sex Hormone Binding Globulin (SHBG) is to... well basically to bind sex hormones :)

It flies around inside you, made by your liver, and helps you to get rid of all the excess testosterone and estrogen that might be in your system, keeping your levels optimal, and healthy :)

But, your liver's production of SHBG is impacted by insulin and fat producing foods, among some other things. Then the liver produces less SHBG, which means less testosterone gets bound and gotten rid of. So then, it all flies up into your scalp, hits the 5ar, and turns into DHT, and you lose hair.

Lifestyle also affects SHBG, and lignans increase it (that's why they're on my regimen, to mop up my free T). For example, I just had 3 slices of pizza. Pizza is FULL of fat and carbs, it was a momentary lapse in my good diet! lol

I tried to offset it as much as possible by taking 2 SDG lignan tablets and alpha-lipoic acid. An anti-inflammatory would probably also help, amongst other things.

But to be fair the main reason I did it (ate a bit of junk food) is because I am suspecting my thyroid so much. If my body isn't reacting properly to thyroid hormones then EVERYTHING will be out of whack, and it can cause hair loss and skin changes (both of which I have).

Erm, what else.. inflammation doesn't help, neither do free radicals as far as I can tell, but I'm not the best dude to talk to about this stuff! Anything that suppresses the thyroid is bad apparently - flourine, bromine etc. Bacteria is apparently bad for the scalp hence why I've got Ecklonia Cava and stuff in there. And sebum seems bad so I threw in some Brewer's Yeast for good luck (plus it contains selenium which is good for correcting the thyroid).

I've just done a LOT of research, that's all! :)

and I also owe a lot to Brian Simonis and people associated with him! heh :)

Brains Expel Hair

Established Member
Reaction score
Hoppi said:
People with increased insulin resistance DO impact their other hormonal levels, they DO impact their free testosterone levels and yes this DOES have an affect on DHT-sensitive hair follicles. You don't need to be a genius to work this stuff out.

Pretty much sums up the debate right there.

timbo

Established Member
Reaction score
Brains Expel Hair said:
Hoppi said:
People with increased insulin resistance DO impact their other hormonal levels, they DO impact their free testosterone levels and yes this DOES have an affect on DHT-sensitive hair follicles. You don't need to be a genius to work this stuff out.

Take a wild guess on how much that could help stop someone's case of androgenetic alopecia. I think a bad diet plays a minor role. If I had to guess, it might be 5-10% of the problem.

Hoppi

Reaction score
timbo said:
Brains Expel Hair said:
Hoppi said:

Take a wild guess on how much that could help stop someone's case of androgenetic alopecia. I think a bad diet plays a minor role. If I had to guess, it might be 5-10% of the problem.

Many things play a role. And it varies person to person, as far as I can tell.

timbo said:
You should go back and reread some of your posts in early February. It would be a humbling experience for you. You were incredibly ignorant with questions that you tried to ask other people

Well I was a noob then, but I put a lot of time in and a lot of effort and determination for a lot of hours, because I care about my hair and also my skin very, very much, and I don't believe this was meant to happen to me. I believe that I caused it somehow, as I was eating crap and stressing too much. So I researched, and researched, and researched, I went to the people I believed to be the most open-minded, knowledgeable and intelligent and learnt from them, and then I kept going and going until I thought I'd hit the root cause(s).

I was just very determined, and I'm open to being wrong but I think this is correct.

You do see a lot of people who experience too much stress with unhealthy looking skin and hair loss/thinning. At least, I do. I dunno, it just seems suspicious, particularly because there are pretty solid links between stress hormones and skin/hair, and stress hormones, diet, and the health of the thyroid, among some other things.

I dunno man, if you have a better explanation then I would simply love to hear it, as long as it doesn't involve shouting "TAKE finasteride!" in my ear incredibly loud.

Shock horror for modern medicine that it might be possible to actually CURE something as opposed to just flood it with drugs...

kthxbi

Established Member
Reaction score
i honestly dont even know what to say

someone with maybe sort of almost an nw2 spends a week doing research which has already been done and is freely available on the internet and finds correlations that nobodys ever thought of before and cures his hairloss?
sh*t its not like i dont want to believe this is the miracle cure but every post just gets more and more ridiculous
and the fact that youve racked up 1200 posts in 5 months... how do you even find that many threads to comment on man?

i really cant contribute anything that hasnt already been said ah undred times except maybe you should stop using so many emotes cause its making me want to strangle myself

juanfran123

Reaction score
Hoppi is a penis, no objectivity whatsoever from this empty headed hippi.

cuebald

Reaction score
Hoppi can you paste in your bloodwork results for us? Cheers