I think it's time to make lifechanging decisions

ALightInTheDark

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
It's not rocket science. You're going to attach it with glue or tape ...you'll wash it with shampoo and condition with conditioner... like any other hair. You'll brush it with a brush and you'll dry it with a towel....

Your best source for products is hair direct

Curtis with my hair experience on YouTube would be your best guide. He has probably close to 300 videos.
Yeah I understand but according to you, does suppliers have the kind of hair that I want (cf. pics attached)? Sorry for my broken english and thx for your patience and answers

Noah

Reaction score
Hi ALITD

1 - The hairline is the most important thing in a lace. However, I like to do sport. Are there any laces which are extremely resistant at the level of the hairline to sweat and effort while remaining realistic?

It is not the lace which is resistant (or not) to sweat, but the adhesive. Nevertheless, lace is a good choice of base if you sweat heavily, because lace allows the sweat to escape, whereas the other choice of base - poly/thinskin - is impermeable and sweat tends to get trapped under the base. Everyone's body chemistry and their experience with different adhesives are different, so I can't give you a one-size-fits-all answer on the best adhesive. However, my experience is that the key issue is allowing the adhesive to cure fully before you get it wet (including by sweating), and provided you allow it to cure fully, sweating is not a big issue. The main glues work for most people - Ultrahold, Ghostbond, Davlyn - so I would suggest you experiment with those. If you find you are not getting the bond you need because of heavy sweating, there are various possible solutions, including reinforcing your hairline adhesive with strong tape just behind the hairline, or using a scalp protector (sweatproof barrier cream) and/or a medical grade anti-perspirant. There are a number of professional athletes who wear hair systems, so it is definitely possible; it's just a matter of getting the right materials which suit you best.

2 - Can we swim, parachute or do extreme sport with a lace?

Swimming definitely yes. I haven't parachuted myself, but I can't see why that would be a problem. I am not sure what you mean by 'extreme'. I am comfortable with sports unless there is actual head contact involved, so for me that rules out rugby and some martial arts. If you are hot and sweaty the bond does definitely get weaker. It will return to normal when you cool down, but you would not want someone yanking on your hair in the meantime. I would only do those sports if I had head protection on to keep the system safe. I have played rugby with a scrum cap.

3 - Are there any laces with which you can make short haircuts? I have always had short / mid-short hairstyles so no more surfer hairstyles, it will never be for me.

Both French and Swiss lace are suitable for short haircuts. Swiss is slightly finer, and is better if you want a fully exposed hairline. If you want a low density unit, with lots of scalp showing through the hair, go for all-lace, with no poly rims or other design complexities.

4 - How to measure my skull to have the right measurements for my lace? I am a diffuse NW6. I plan to do the poses myself even if I know it is complicated for a beginner.

For the best result you need to make a template of the area you need to cover. There are dozens of YouTube videos showing you how to do that. I think this is one of the best ones.

5 - Can I make wick hair dyes on the lace?

Sorry; I don't understand this question. Can you rephrase it?

6 - What are the essential products for the maintenance of a lace? (Glue, hairspray, shampoo, conditioner, scotch tape, glue, dye etc etc). I plan to change it every 3/4 months or so. If you have site links, I'm interested!

I made a complete list for another poster. I will PM it to you so as not to clog up the forum.

7 - On average between shaving, installation and maintenance, how long will it take me per day or per week?

I have it down to about an hour a week, maybe 75 minutes, but you should count on double that at the start, till you pick up the tricks and techniques. I have two identical systems which I rotate each week, which means I can do the system swap and the clean-up at different times. That definitely adds to the convenience.

8 - How to be sure to choose the right color and especially the right texture and the right type of hair? Do you have to send a lock of hair or something to the supplier?

That is the safest course.

9 - I saw sites like northwest lace, hairhub, goodyardhair, bonohair, lordhair, newlacecu, lyricalhair,coolpiece, lavivid,Farell, www/ukhairsystems.com/ , which is the best supplier? As I intend to change it every 3/4 months I would like not to spend 200 € for a lace (I do not count the products, these will last longer than the lace normally?)

I will PM you some thoughts on this. Some of these smaller suppliers have been good in the past, but their supply has been seriously disrupted by Covid. These days you may have to shop around and see what you can get in the right colour. That may mean going with one of the Chinese direct sellers, even though the quality control is a bit more variable.

Noah

HairsonUnique

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm considering doing a sky diving course next summer. I honestly may just shave off my hair for it. The course may take a few months, but it is what it is.

I suspect it's fairly manageable. At the end of the day there is very little for the wind to catch and rip off (with lace). The issue is probably more likely the helmet. I've heard of people using a do rag on their head for motorcycling.

Noah

Reaction score
Agreed; a lace system really doesn't offer any resistance to the wind which might allow the wind to rip it loose. The wind can just blow through through it.

Here is a funny video featuring a guy skydiving in his poorly attached partial system. Even it stayed attached.

Mystery411

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Agreed; a lace system really doesn't offer any resistance to the wind which might allow the wind to rip it loose. The wind can just blow through through it.

Here is a funny video featuring a guy skydiving in his poorly attached partial system. Even it stayed attached.

Ha that was great! What an awesome couple! Eventually, I can see myself just growing my beard out and shaving my head when I get older. For now, I’m going to keep the man weave

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
9 - I saw sites like northwest lace, hairhub, goodyardhair, bonohair, lordhair, newlacecu, lyricalhair,coolpiece, lavivid,Farell, www/ukhairsystems.com/ , which is the best supplier? As I intend to change it every 3/4 months I would like not to spend 200 € for a lace (I do not count the products, these will last longer than the lace normally?)

I will PM you some thoughts on this. Some of these smaller suppliers have been good in the past, but their supply has been seriously disrupted by Covid. These days you may have to shop around and see what you can get in the right colour. That may mean going with one of the Chinese direct sellers, even though the quality control is a bit more variable.

Noah

@Noah what is the point of having a forum that is not tied to any company if honest customer feedback and reviews are confined to the backroom?

Not to mention that when you do this, nobody can respond- agree, disagree or otherwise- to what you write. We should want to generate discussion on this, not curb it.

A lot of the 'customer feedback's stuff I've seen on this board is from wearers who've only tried one or two suppliers, or who are on their first unit in a couple of cases. There really is a need IMO for those who've tried a bunch of different companies to compare their quality and characteristic properties openly here, and share value judgements. That's the one thing this forum can do, for all its problems, that the company sponsored forums cannot. Idgi.

jimlad

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello yall !
I am coming to an age where after having had an Androgenetic Alopecia since I was 15 I am starting to have enough, to be fed up with it. I'm still thinking about it but continuing to take treatments will just continue to disrupt me hormonally and I don't have my whole life ahead of me to enjoy my youth!

Suddenly I am thinking of taking a lace. Except that s aa beginner I ask myself hundreds of questions and as there is a lot of experts here so I want to ask directly here :
1 - The hairline is the most important thing in a lace. However, I like to do sport. Are there any laces which are extremely resistant at the level of the hairline to sweat and effort while remaining realistic?
2 - Can we swim, parachute or do extreme sport with a lace?
3 - Are there any laces with which you can make short haircuts? I have always had short / mid-short hairstyles so no more surfer hairstyles, it will never be for me.
4 - How to measure my skull to have the right measurements for my lace? I am a diffuse NW6. I plan to do the poses myself even if I know it is complicated for a beginner.
5 - Can I make wick hair dyes on the lace?
6 - What are the essential products for the maintenance of a lace? (Glue, hairspray, shampoo, conditioner, scotch tape, glue, dye etc etc). I plan to change it every 3/4 months or so. If you have site links, I'm interested!
7 - On average between shaving, installation and maintenance, how long will it take me per day or per week?
8 - How to be sure to choose the right color and especially the right texture and the right type of hair? Do you have to send a lock of hair or something to the supplier?

I will put my child haircut/hairstyle and hairstyles that I would like to do with my lace, what style/color/density do you recommend based on my child/teen hair ? (It must remain natural)

Thanks everyone for reading :)
Hey mate.

1) Sport isn't really a problem (apart from maybe wrestling!). I play soccer and run a lot and don't really have a problem apart from a tiny bit of lifting which settles after I cool down.
2) Yes, yes and yes (again, apart from anything where you're having your hair grabbed).
3) My hairstyle is short - it's possible with any lace. PM me for photos.
4)
5) I don't know.
6) You'll need to find a glue that suits your lifestyle/body chemistry. Ghostbond is a good place to start, but I've recently discovered Safe Grip, which is very strong and easy to clean up. Ensure that any shampoo is sulphate free and any hair products are alcohol free. Some opt for tape, but I find it fiddly so I use glue.
7) For me, I spend no more than 5 minutes per day if I need to fix a lift. Apart from that, I set aside two hours at the weekend to remove, clean and reattach. Sometimes it doesn't take this long, but it's good to set the time aside so that you don't have to rush.
8) You can send a lock of hair, or request a colour sample kit. I would recommend doing this at a salon first up if you can. You'll want to ditch them down the line, but it's good to have guidance early on.
9) Work out what you can spend and budget accordingly. You get what you pay for to a certain extent, so get used to paying £200 for a lace. You'll get through the first couple quite quickly, but 3/4 months is a good aim for lifespan.

Keep us posted!

TooBad

My Regimen
Reaction score
@Noah what is the point of having a forum that is not tied to any company if honest customer feedback and reviews are confined to the backroom?

Not to mention that when you do this, nobody can respond- agree, disagree or otherwise- to what you write. We should want to generate discussion on this, not curb it.

A lot of the 'customer feedback's stuff I've seen on this board is from wearers who've only tried one or two suppliers, or who are on their first unit in a couple of cases. There really is a need IMO for those who've tried a bunch of different companies to compare their quality and characteristic properties openly here, and share value judgements. That's the one thing this forum can do, for all its problems, that the company sponsored forums cannot. Idgi.
I've noticed when the handful of people that choose to discuss suppliers in private, they always steer toward the same seller. There's nothing wrong with favoring a supplier personally, or advocating for one. Choosing to do it in private, is what's suspect to me.

Everything should be discussed in the open, with honesty and facts..... not feelings...

I'd much prefer to buy a quality system from a direct person that may ruffle feathers, than a nice person that makes my tummy feel warm and fuzzy..... and sells garbage.

Last edited:

Noah

Reaction score

I have answered this point several times before. I have been a frequent poster on this forum in the past, and I have been at pains to avoid any suggestion that I am pushing any particular vendor. I am happy to share my views and experiences with anyone who is interested - I'm not trying to be mysterious - I just prefer not to do it on the public board. I think the other guys I have shared my views with by PM will confirm that I have never recommended one seller to the exclusion of all others, although obviously I do think some are (or were) better than others.

For now, I am in the same position as everyone else in this current disrupted market - trying to keep decent hair on my head and making compromises to do so; basically shopping around for whatever I can get that will work. The old certainties and preferences are suspended, hopefully not for good.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I just prefer not to do it on the public board.

So what I'm asking, @Noah, is: why not?? You say you've answered this several times before, but afaict you haven't really done so here. What you're responding to is more the accusation that you may be pushing one vendor, which didn't come from me. I think there are good reasons to share this stuff openly on the public board, I've mentioned a couple, so what am I missing here?

The old certainties and preferences are suspended, hopefully not for good.

Well said.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
...and what do you see as the benefit of having a forum that is not tied to any company, in that case?

HairsonUnique

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm not sure it's such an issue if noah prefers to discuss things off the board.

And for the record, I have seen noah explain why he does it this was multiple times now over a long period of time.

I personally don't agree with the stance, but I'm not upset enough to push him to do anything differently.

Noah

Reaction score
So what I'm asking, @Noah, is: why not?

@HairlessWhisper - If I am on here a lot (as I used to be) and I am repeatedly saying "I think X & Co is the best supplier, and that's where I am mostly buying", it begins to look as if I am a shill for X & Co., addressing my opinion not just to the person who asked for it, but to the community at large.

Amusingly, despite my efforts at discretion I was in fact recently accused by another poster of being a secret shill for one particular vendor :). There's no winning sometimes.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for clarifying, I can sooooort of see how that makes sense, although to me it probably makes more sense to regard the private messaging with suspicion.

I also had one vendor that I preferred to all the others (pre-pandemic), and I've mentioned that in a few threads already, and have worried that it starts to look suspect, so I hear you... The thing is, I have not found this company is/was superior by every conceivable metric, my praise is balanced by criticism, and probably also noting that other companies are better for certain things, and the more I repeat my preference the more I would expect it to be balanced in that way.

i think I saw what you're referring to- it was funny b/c the vendor you were accused of shilling for in that case has done nothing but steer me away from his company and required some convincing to just friggin sell me something already.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I'd much prefer to buy a quality system from a direct person that may ruffle feathers, than a nice person that makes my tummy feel warm and fuzzy..... and sells garbage.

See, this is true for me now, but when you're ordering your first couple of units having someone walk you through it and very patiently answer a barrage of dumb questions in exacting detail is a very positive thing, vs. someone who will wage psychological warfare against you if you question anything they say, but ultimately deliver a top quality product (which I've experienced!).

Eric at NWL definitely does the most hand-holding of any vendor I've dealt with by an extremely wide margin, and would be an excellent supplier for n00bs for this reason alone, especially those who do n't have a stylist to spec the order for them.

Noah

Reaction score
I have heard the same story about that vendor multiple times from other posters. Any time a seller tells you you probably don't really need what he's selling, I take that as a mark of integrity and good faith. That said, I have never (privately or otherwise) recommended one seller to the exclusion of all others. In fact I had 2 that I regularly used before the pandemic, and a third that I occasionally used.

HairlessWhisper

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Anyway, if you say in private "I think X & Co is the best supplier, and that's where I am mostly buying", nobody else has the opportunity to counter "Actually, I think X & Co is just okay, this is the reason I prefer Company Y" - I think that's the part that bothers me, and I also imagine fwiw that's the reason it arouses some suspicion in some posters?