I sympathize with you all...

admcsm

Reaction score
I read some of your post, and I can certainly relate to those who say that you are young and losing hair. I am 29, certainly to young to lose my hair(in my opinion). I noticed it about a year ago, but my family kept telling me it was normal. Finally I decided to go to my dermatalogist, went twice. I had some test done.. diabetic check, thyroid test... those are two I remeber. The second time I went back the Doctor told me that basically I was losing hair, female patern baldness. I TRUELY REFUSE TO ACCEPT THAT NOTION. I read as much as I could on female hair loss. I don't fit into that pattern. It comes from your mother's side. All of the women on my mother's side(including me, up until now) are very hair women. I am hispanic, we have that very thick rough hair. I am so curious to find out if there is anything else that is can cause hair loss in a women, besides everything that I have read about. I did have a baby, but that was over two years ago, so it has nothing to do with that.. I did go on the birth control but that was over a year ago. So I don't think it has anything to do with hormones. I have noticed changes in my scalp. I have these little white, bulb looking like things, almost like dandruff, but its not(not that I really know what dandruff looks like). It's not lice either. My scalp is itchy and sensitive now, my girls can't play with my hair anymore. Is anyone else experiencing similiar things? I don't want to use anything because I keep believing that my hair will grow back. I refuse to belive the Doctor that my hair will not grow back. I am sorry that this post is so long.. I hope that someone, anyone hears my plea for help. Just looking for someone who is going thru what I am going through.. need a buddy. THANK YOU VERY MUCH for hearing me out!

totaldispHAIR

Established Member
Reaction score
It could be seb derm that's causing your itching. The allopathic consensus is that seb derm does not cause hairloss, but if you read the keratin.com chat board under Inflammatory Alopecias, there are many people w/ seb derm who have hairloss, and one guy says that he's done two years of research and it actually can cause hairloss.

You might need to go to your derma to get a diagnosis on the seb derm. You can use Nizoral 1% (over the counter) or 2% (prescription) shampoo, or other shampoos with sal. acid or tar. Of course, these are the "treat-the-symptom" approches; there are other alternative approaches that treat seb derm from the inside-out (diet, nutrients, controlling candidas, etc.).

mariejoe

Established Member
Reaction score
I posted this on another topic, but I am repeating it here. Shampoos may not be enought it calm down the seb. derm!!
:)
Seb. derm. = itchy, crusty scalp. My derm. prescribed Lidex. It comes in cream, lotion and gel form. It works, too.
She also prescribed Elidel, which I use before the seb.derm. flare-ups get out of hand.

I can't stress enough that you should get the seb. derm. treated as soon as you can. Untreated, it can lead to hair loss, as you have found.
:freaked2:

I keep these two medicines on hand at all times. Seb derm does come and go...and come and go. You have to treat it as soon as you notice it.

Also, I use Nizoral, over the counter, shampoo. You can get a prescription 2% strength, but it is too strong for me to use.

Reaction score
admcsm: I have had the itchy flaky scalp - and in areas that now are very bald. I don't have any patches that are completely hairless, just patches that are so thinned the scalp shows through. My doctor checked my scalp and said he didn't see anything (second opinion doctor) but said that he can definetly see the patches. Question - does your scalp get very oily and pinkish colored - that has also happenned to mine.

I worte this on another posting that I had written before but I found that there were little bumps on my scalp that would bleed when I itched them - I was thinking that it was pimples but now I know better. I truly don't know what is causing my hairloss - the tests that I've done have come back normal and I went to get a second opinion form another doctor about them. I recommend you do the same - don't take no for an answer - find a doctor that cares - seek a good doctor through a referral.

My mother does have thin hair - thats where I'm assuming I'm getting it from. As of right now I am changing my diet by eating healthier - adding more protein, taking my Vitamins high in B12 and trying to DE-stress....I've also decided to try out the Nizoral. I'll let you know if it works.

I figure any little thing that I haven't been doing may help...I just want to say that if you need a buddy I'm here - I feel you and understand totally. This is a new thing for me - even though I noticed tons of hair loss in the shower previously it seems that as of recently it has stopped growing back....