I started finasteride today

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm 32 years old, halfway to 33, 5'11 205 lbs middle eastern Jewish male with a NW2.5 hairline. I have moderate diffuse thinning, with mild temple and hairline recession, and no noticeable thinning at the crown.

It's 5mg pills cut into 4 parts, so I have a ~120 day supply, for which I paid AU$ 50, roughly equivalent to US$ 35. The pill cutter was a bit annoying to use since the pills are so small.

I hope my dick doesn't fall off and that I won't grow boobs, particularly since I already have moderate ED at age 32. I will keep weightlifting and keep losing and keep eating better and hope for the best.

I've been convinced by this forum that the:
1) Finasteride is the second-best treatment, behind only dutasteride;
2) Side effects are rare, and usually subside with time;
3) Minoxodil doesn't do anything to fight the disease;
4) Nizoral, tea tree oil, etc probably don't do anything at all;

In a few months I might add creatine for totally separate reasons, which would lower the DHT inhibition from 70% to 55%, if we are to believe the studies. I think with 55% inhibition I should still be ahead.

Hairloss23

Banned
Reaction score
Creatine is terrible for hair avoid it at all costs.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Creatine is terrible for hair avoid it at all costs.

Has anyone actually noticed this? I thought all we have is that one study showing it boosts DHT by ~40%?

Meanwhile, it's good for everything else.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Tea tree oil may not do anything cosmetically remarkable but you're scalp may feel better, if you have that common dreadful itch.

- - - Updated - - -

Tea tree oil may not do anything cosmetically remarkable but you're scalp may feel better, if you have that common dreadful itch. Same thing with Nizoral actually ! Both things help me. You can try, it's not expensive.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Tea tree oil may not do anything cosmetically remarkable but you're scalp may feel better, if you have that common dreadful itch.

- - - Updated - - -

Tea tree oil may not do anything cosmetically remarkable but you're scalp may feel better, if you have that common dreadful itch. Same thing with Nizoral actually ! Both things help me. You can try, it's not expensive.

Actually I already use those, and I have very, very little itch actually !

I bought my sister a tea tree oil shampoo as a gift a few months ago. From Paul Mitchell. She used it and she said her scalp immediately felt soothed.

parisienne

Established Member
Reaction score
Actually I already use those, and I have very, very little itch actually !

I bought my sister a tea tree oil shampoo as a gift a few months ago. From Paul Mitchell. She used it and she said her scalp immediately felt soothed.

So you're in the lucky team. Hope you'll stay there. Good luck :)

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm on my 5th day of finasteride, thus far no side effects.

I wonder when I get to feel home free.

Fall

Reaction score
Good to hear that no side effects happened so far and I wish it will stay that way.

Keep us updated.

Norwood One

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Good luck man. I also just started finasteride, albiet at a very low dose 0.25mg EOD. Hope you have great results.

Thespain

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone actually noticed this? I thought all we have is that one study showing it boosts DHT by ~40%?

Meanwhile, it's good for everything else.

I remember browsing on eroids a few years back, some guy had blood work done with 3 different types of creatine and there was no significant changes from baseline. I think that study was bogus.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
There seems to be decreased ejaculate volume, and reduced sleep, I hope that dissipates after a few months.

Since I've only been on for ~7 days, it could be a fluke.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I'm about two weeks in. The only side effect I notice at this time is decreased sleep. I hope that goes away soon, it's as if I don't need to sleep as long, but I'm still tired when I wake up.

Reaction score
I am on finasteride for 4 weeks today, and I immediately had disrupted sleep as well. It´s slowly improving, so hang in there.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
My hair is too short for me to notice "shedding".

But when I look in the mirror now, three weeks into finasteride, I look more bald than I ever have. The temples are nearly completely gone, and I have an island with diffuse thinning.

I hope it's just a shed. A shed implies it will come back stronger.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I've been on finasteride for nearly a month now and I don't notice much of anything. I had ~2 weeks of sleeping problems, where my sleep was short, but this has stabilized.

I'm taking 1.25 mg/day, but given that finasteride has a nearly dose-independent response there is no reason for me to do so. There was an article posted recently abot how in Japan they only take ~0.2 mg/day and it works nearly as well. I think that for the next while I'll take 1.25 mg on MWF, and after after that just take it on mondays and thursdays. This might reduce the odds of sides.

g.i joey

Reaction score
Hey David. I'm hoping 2 times a week Is enough. I take topical finasteride the days I don't take oral. So I take .5 Friday and .5 Monday and topical finasteride the rest. Gonna bump it down to 1mg twice a week in due time. I feel no sides on the Topical to the point where I don't even know if it's working.