I Really Need Someone’s Help - Can’t Take This Anymore

Lorenzo92

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Sorry in advance for the long post, I just need to talk to someone about it..

This is my first post here, I have been reading some of the posts lately and I’d like to thank all of you who dedicate their time to help others.

Anyway... I decided to finally ask for help, I usually depened on myself to solve my problems, but this has gone beyond my capacity to handle it.

Just a little brief about me, I am 25 and currently norwood 6 level, I have been living in denial ever since I started losing hair until it all came at once to me and I could not accept my look anymore. I now understand that I cannot live a normal life with no hair. I can't stand how people look at me, and how I started to look at myself. RIP my youth, confidence and ever dating a girl! So, I have been depressed for the past 7 months and not a single day passed without me thinking suicidal thoughts. It has also started to affect my mental health and destroyed my social life.

As for treatments, I tried using minoxidil but got me nowhere.. I haven’t tried propecia yet, but what’s the point if I’m nw6 already.

So I have been lately thinking about wearing a hair system, as it appears to be the only “solution” but I have two problems:

1) I can’t comprehend how I can take a couple of weeks off of work and show up with a head full of hear - I have to explain that I wear a system.

2) There are no salons that do hair systems where I live, so I have to travel outside to do it. But what if something goes wrong and the unit is ruined? I can’t just show up bald again at work.

I would appreciate any suggesstions or help :)

BaldBearded

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Lorenzo,

Welcome.

The good thing about going the hair system route is that it's painless, requires no surgery or medication, it is instant (once it's on your head), and totally reversible, if you chose to stop wearing.

If you are indeed a Norwood 6, there is not going to be any way that you can hide your new hair. I was in the exact same situation you were, just quite a few years older than you. You have two choices, you can tell your close friends, family and co-workers BEFORE get it done, or you wait until after, and surprise them. I told ALL of my close friends and co-workers. The responses were anywhere from neutral to very supportive. So when I came back from five days in Madrid, with 14" of hair... the response was very positive. At this point, nine months into it, I am totally relaxed with it, and so is everyone around me. I did wind up cutting the 14" down to a shorter haircut, which I feel much better with.

I also have no salons, at least reputable ones, in my country (Israel) so I wound up getting it done in Spain (Madrid). After lots of searching, I found a company that was willing to work with me. I decided to fly out for both the measurement and the cut-in. You don't necessarily have to do that. There are companies that will work with you on getting a template made (you just need a friend to help you). You will need to find someone locally to do the attachment and cut-in (hair cut), or you will need to travel to get it done.

Things normally don't "go wrong" with the system, they are pretty rugged. It is usually recommended that you have two systems, that is what I do. My current system is six months old and I will retire it, and move on to the back-up system, as soon as the third system arrives soon. I always have a spare system,

I did find a stylist that is close to where I live, who has experience with hair systems. I let him do the but chop on both of my long systems.

As for all the maintenance, you can learn to do it yourself.

Depending on your hairstyle of choice, you can cut your own hair at home (with the system off), or find a local stylist who can cut your hair as it grows, without touching the system.

I am sure that @Noah, our resident expert will be happy to PM you with a list of suppliers that can help you out.

Where are you located, it is possible that there may be someone within a decent traveling distance.

I will PM you with a recommendation of my own.

Noah

Reaction score
Hi Lorenzo

It certainly sounds like a hair system would give you some much-needed relief. As you say, medication is not going to do that if you are NW6 - it very rarely brings back hair that is already gone, although it can help you retain what you still have left. As to your questions:

1) you may be right: if everyone around you has watched you gradually go bald, and now suddenly you turn up with a full head of luxuriant hair, anyone sensible will obviously know that you have "done something". If they are nice polite people they will probably not confront you about it, but they will know.

On the other hand, many guys nowadays choose to shave, so the people you mix with may not know the true extent of your hairloss. It is not impossible that if your lifestyle permits you could wear a cap or beanie for a month or two, grow out the hair (so that people can see you have hair at the sides of the hat), then have a fortnight's holiday to break the continuity, and reappear at the end of it with a good haircut and a low density system. You can create a bit of distraction with some flashy spectacles or a moustache. You can say you have been taking propecia/ having scalp massages/ eating monkeys' testicles or whatever. I have spoken to dozens of guys who have made the switch from varying degrees of baldness to wearing a system without it being picked up. Don't underestimate how unobservant people are, and fundamentally how little they really care about other people's appearance. I have said this before, but if you want to test this grow a moustache or a beard for a month and then shave it off - I guarantee you that 95% of the people you see every day will not notice. I have done this, and it is absolutely the case.

Only you can say whether these tactics will work for you given your circumstances. If it won't work, then you have to accept that people will know that you have "done something". But public knowledge about hair systems is very low. Even most bald men do not know that products like most of us on this board are wearing actually exist, and that it is possible, for example, to have a low density system where you can look through the hair and see scalp, or where you can comb it back and show the individual hairs of your hairline growing (as it appears) out of your scalp, or which you can swim and dive and work out in. The public perception of male hair replacement is still stuck in the technology of the 1970's. So if you get a good system, people will be genuinely amazed that it could be artificial, and the chances are they will start to doubt their initial thought that it is a hair replacement. You are under no obligation to explain what you have done. Most people will not call you out, but if anyone does ask you can just smile and say nothing - they will soon get the point. Or you can say that you have had hair extension treatment or some phrase like that.

The basic point is this: you are under no obligation to explain yourself, and the possibility that some people may guess that you have resorted to some artificial means of restoring your appearance is not as bad as it initially sounds. The main thing is that they won't be able to tell by looking at you that it is a system.

2) It's always a good idea to have a second wearable system, just in case. They are not that expensive if you source them correctly, and they are basically disposable - you are going to need a new one every 4 - 6 months anyway. I will PM you some ideas for sourcing, to add to those Baldbearded has already sent you.

Finally, good luck with the process. I very much hope that hair replacement will turn out to be the solution you are looking for. Feel free to ask for any further help you need.

Noah

NYCHairGuy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Lorenzo, I feel you! I actually just got my first system a few weeks ago, so I understand your concerns completely. I had them as well, plus about a million more. I had been shaving my head for a very long time, so long that it had become my signature look. The people in my life had never seen me with any hair at all. Suddenly I was going to appear with a full head of hair? How the hell was THAT going to work? What would people say? What would they think?

You know what? I decided that it'd be a lot easier if I stopped caring so much what other people thought. I won't lie--there was a short period of transition where I mostly either didn't wear it at all or wore it under a hat, and when I *did* wear it openly my heart would pound out of sheer fear. I did such a number on myself, deciding that it was all wrong, that it looked too fake, etc. That was no way to live. Once I decided that it didn't matter to me what others thought about it--it makes me happy to have hair again and if they have a problem with that, it's just too damned bad--my fear evaporated.

deg_dilemma

Experienced Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hey Lorenzo, some great advice there from the guys above. Definitely go to a good salon for your first visit and try to get a low density system (and get 2!) and get them to show you the basic maintenance. Heck you could even go for one extra-light system and then a light system 4 or 5 months later, to try and make the transition less obvious.

The YouTube channel hairexperience is a great recommendation and has helped us all to learn so much.

And remember - you're not alone.

Valentin1982

My Regimen
Reaction score
Ive had a system for about a month and everyone really likes the new look and don’t seem to care how i did it. I did just walk into to work with suddenly more hair and i was nervous at first but i feel much more confident now and in the end it’s anbout you! not everyone else so dont worry so much about what they think.

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Maybe get a real low density hair system first, to make it seem like it's "growing in"?

Hair Newbie

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

This is my first post here, I have been reading some of the posts lately and I’d like to thank all of you who dedicate their time to help others.

Anyway... I decided to finally ask for help, I usually depened on myself to solve my problems, but this has gone beyond my capacity to handle it.

Just a little brief about me, I am 25 and currently norwood 6 level, I have been living in denial ever since I started losing hair until it all came at once to me and I could not accept my look anymore. I now understand that I cannot live a normal life with no hair. I can't stand how people look at me, and how I started to look at myself. RIP my youth, confidence and ever dating a girl! So, I have been depressed for the past 7 months and not a single day passed without me thinking suicidal thoughts. It has also started to affect my mental health and destroyed my social life.

As for treatments, I tried using minoxidil but got me nowhere.. I haven’t tried propecia yet, but what’s the point if I’m nw6 already.

So I have been lately thinking about wearing a hair system, as it appears to be the only “solution” but I have two problems:

1) I can’t comprehend how I can take a couple of weeks off of work and show up with a head full of hear - I have to explain that I wear a system.

2) There are no salons that do hair systems where I live, so I have to travel outside to do it. But what if something goes wrong and the unit is ruined? I can’t just show up bald again at work.

Hi Lorenzo, You came to the right forum for help. I just wanted you to know that I can empathize with aspects of your story. Wearing a hair system is one of the best decision I've ever made and I wish I'd discovered it sooner (I didn't know Hair System exist until few months ago). I am wearing 24/7 now and I love it. It is not expensive and will work.

This is another method (not sure if is new or old) I recently discovered. I don't know if anyone heard about his Japanese product.
"Quick Pon"
https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/increasehair/item/qp-24/

WheeljackG1

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi Lorenzo, You came to the right forum for help. I just wanted you to know that I can empathize with aspects of your story. Wearing a hair system is one of the best decision I've ever made and I wish I'd discovered it sooner (I didn't know Hair System exist until few months ago). I am wearing 24/7 now and I love it. It is not expensive and will work.

This is another method (not sure if is new or old) I recently discovered. I don't know if anyone heard about his Japanese product.
"Quick Pon"

Whoa! That looks cool. I wonder if it actually works, stays in, or looks real. Would be very cool if so.

ChrisPratty

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Hi!

Lorenzo, I know what you are going through. Because I have been there too. I'm bald too. Not fully, but partially and I also wear a hair system. I started experiencing hair fall when I was in college. My dad is also bald and doctors told me that primary reason for my hair fall is my genes. I couldn’t bear it for initial couple of years. My receding hairline always made me feel inferior in front of my friends and classmates.

I had a secret crush on the most beautiful girl in my class. But never bagged the courage to tell her. When I met her after my couple of years, I told her that I had a soft corner for you but didn't tell because I thought you will laugh at my baldness. She said that she liked me the way I was, whether bald or not. Point being, my inferiority complex was the reason for my failure here. She has a bf now and that's cool.

So Lorenzo, don’t ever feel depressed or anxious about your hair.

Well, past is gone!

you have made a good decision with hair systems. Don’t worry if you can’t find a supplier in Norwood. There are a lot of wig brands that take orders online and ship hair systems across the world. I'm buying mine from lordhair.com. They are global manufacturers and suppliers of hair replacement systems. You will be glad to know that these hair systems/wigs are 100% natural. i.e. they are made from human hair and no synthetics. The best part is that they design by using head measurements and hair sample which makes the wig very realistic.

You can find application tutorials on their youtube channel that will guide you to wear a wig perfectly and you will not have to take off a week from your job. I have used their hair systems and I find them look authentic on my scalp. Below pic is mine (too shy. lol) but it will give you a fair idea about the transformation.

ed.jpg

Lorenzo, be prepared for the transformation and be lively, always! Good luck to you, mate!

Lorenzo92

My Regimen
Reaction score

"Quick Pon"

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is not the first time I read that it's the best decision people have made. Can't wait to try it myself!!! :) :)

This method looks cool, but a hair system appears to be more reliable as a start.

Lorenzo92

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi!

Lorenzo, I know what you are going through. Because I have been there too. I'm bald too. Not fully, but partially and I also wear a hair system. I started experiencing hair fall when I was in college. My dad is also bald and doctors told me that primary reason for my hair fall is my genes. I couldn’t bear it for initial couple of years. My receding hairline always made me feel inferior in front of my friends and classmates.

I had a secret crush on the most beautiful girl in my class. But never bagged the courage to tell her. When I met her after my couple of years, I told her that I had a soft corner for you but didn't tell because I thought you will laugh at my baldness. She said that she liked me the way I was, whether bald or not. Point being, my inferiority complex was the reason for my failure here. She has a bf now and that's cool.

So Lorenzo, don’t ever feel depressed or anxious about your hair.

Well, past is gone!

you have made a good decision with hair systems. Don’t worry if you can’t find a supplier in Norwood. There are a lot of wig brands that take orders online and ship hair systems across the world. I'm buying mine from lordhair.com. They are global manufacturers and suppliers of hair replacement systems. You will be glad to know that these hair systems/wigs are 100% natural. i.e. they are made from human hair and no synthetics. The best part is that they design by using head measurements and hair sample which makes the wig very realistic.

You can find application tutorials on their youtube channel that will guide you to wear a wig perfectly and you will not have to take off a week from your job. I have used their hair systems and I find them look authentic on my scalp. Below pic is mine (too shy. lol) but it will give you a fair idea about the transformation.

View attachment 113288

Lorenzo, be prepared for the transformation and be lively, always! Good luck to you, mate!

Chris! Thanks a lot for your kind words. I find your story very encouraging and especially for my dating life.

I will definitely share my transformation experience once I take the plunge and start with hair systems :) Cheers mate!

jeddah

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Go to a good salon and they can add hair gradually. I would stick with a salon and just do touch ups till you are confident but it will help enormously...research them. Optima in england is very good but depends which country you are. You will regain your life