Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Caused a Shed, but shed grew back at least to baseline

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I have posted about Rogaine before but quick recap; im a norwood 1.5 been on finasteride 7 months. I only use a pea sized amout of Rogaine foam on each temple, once a day and only for almost 2 months now. My other hair is doing great from proscar, but where i apply Rogaine its really looking bad and extremely thinner. I really dont know what to do. Im getting very worried and upset over this. Should i just stop Rogaine? I dont want my hair to get any worse. Should i continue for 2 more months? Im starting to freak out. I wish i never used minoxidil. Please you guys i need some advice or encouragement, or some assurance that this is truly temporary. Thanks in advance -Anthony

Last edited:

Aldrich

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok, so, minoxidil supposedly help with blood circulation to the scalp to promote hair growth and forces synchronization of hair cycles. If you are shedding a lot, it's a good sign because new hairs are pushing the old ones out. Now, when a lot of hair follicles do this at the same time, it will give the appearance of thinning/worse looking hair. You have to wait for the new hairs to grow out. Hold out another 4 months at least before you decide the next step.

kj6723

My Regimen
Reaction score
def. continue for at least 6 months i first noticed results after 4 months

I'm about 4 months in myself and just began noticing vellus and possibly some terminals popping up within the last couple weeks.

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ok i needed to hear that, thanks guys... I have of course read everything " Medical" Online about Rogaine and it How it works or really is thought to work. But i read so many horror stories on here and with the way the minoxidil area is looking on my hair... Im just freaking out. How much and what part of the scalp is everyone using minoxidil? Just curious. I never thought using so little would shed so much. I honestly thought it would do nothing or possibly give my temples a tiny boost at Best. I guess i wasn't prepared for this much of a shed. I would have never started

Last edited:

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Ahh geez i just checked my lil poll up there its 2 to 1 minoxidil hurt my hair... This is what im talking about/ Worried about. I know thats about the opposite of proof, but it seems to be a theme on this site "minoxidil sucks" or it "ruined my hair"

youngguyhairloss

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
im using the foam so i cant really measure how much im putting (all over scalp diffuse thinner) its way more than a pea size thats for sure. but believe me ride it out... one thing you know for sure you will continue to lose and thin without minoxidil especially if you just quit cold turkey.

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Im gonna stick with it... I believe the shed is over because if i pull on the area no hairs come out and when Shampooing theres maybe like 2-3 hairs max on my hand.Also that horrible itch is gone from the Rogaine. If/When my hair grows back i will amend any negative comments ive made about minoxidil

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well im on the fence again. My hair looks so much worse where i apply minoxidil. After only 2 months can i quit without any more damage?

youngguyhairloss

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Well im on the fence again. My hair looks so much worse where i apply minoxidil. After only 2 months can i quit without any more damage?
Nope you will be below baseline if you quit now, just stick it out. Take it from me I used it for awhile I didn't think it was doing much for my hair at all so I quit for two months and my hair got so much worse and now I'm back on wishing I never quit ... I'm starting to get minimal gains just after 2 months of starting back up

youngguyhairloss

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Nope you will be below baseline if you quit now, just stick it out. Take it from me I used it for awhile I didn't think it was doing much for my hair at all so I quit for two months and my hair got so much worse and now I'm back on wishing I never quit ... I'm starting to get minimal gains just after 2 months of starting back up
Imo the only reason you should quit is if applying this stuff is just to inconvenient for your lifestyle or schedule

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
i keep using it everyday, but i worry every time i do. Is it normal for it to look 100 % worse at 2 months? Im so below baseline where i apply it i cant see it getting any worse, seriously. Does regrowth just happen all of a sudden because im depressed over this. ALL other hair looks great!! ... Except where i apply minoxidil. It wasn't even bad before just very slight thinning, now the area is about gone... Thank god i use such a tiny amount. Im so depressed over this. My thinking is, maybe if i quit in 3-4 months it be like i never touched it and id be thrilled w that

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I want to give it 4 months, but my god its totally ruined the area i apply it. Im scared the longer im on it the worse it will be when i have to quit. I have lil faith in minoxidil at the moment. Any encouragement most welcome

yetti

Experienced Member
Reaction score
I started last October. At 2 months, I was below baseline. Now, almost a year later, I am above baseline and see minoxidil as a great product. I only use minoxidil (rogaine liquid), not finasteride or any sort of special shampoo.

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah im a lil freaked out obviously lol its just finasteride has definitely helped and i wasn't worried about hair loss. Now im worried daily again and it sucks!

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I know dante had a bad rogaine experience... But the rest of you guys think ill be ok? Your guys hair all looked worse at 2 months and then got better? I know i keep asking the same questions just in different ways but i just need a way to stop worrying and have hope again

Giiizmo

Established Member
Reaction score
I know dante had a bad rogaine experience... But the rest of you guys think ill be ok? Your guys hair all looked worse at 2 months and then got better? I know i keep asking the same questions just in different ways but i just need a way to stop worrying and have hope again

My losses are slow but steady (~1NW in a little less than three years) so minoxidil could potentially do a lot of good for me. However, I'm still on the fence about trying it. Possibly wait the end of summer and the start of a new work schedule so the temptation to go under the sun is lower.

I've been reading a lot of threads and monitoring the progress of many people on this forum but it's hard to get a definite answer whether minoxidil overall helps or harms your hair and in what proportion. It seems that for the majority of people it either helps or does nothing. There is, however, a potentially sizable minority that seems to have worsened their condition, possibly through pro-inflammatory reactions such as contact dermatitis or allergies, etc.

Here's another small thread that addresses the exact same concern: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/rogaine-mistake-and-rogaine-alternatives.99543/

youngguyhairloss

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
from what i can remember my hair looked terrible after 3 months and at four months i remember going to the barber (long time friend) he told me my treatments are working and my hair looks thicker... from that point on i really didnt feel like i made anymore hair gains and after 6 months minoxidil irritated the shiet out of my scalp got 24/7 itch and dandruff so i quit for 2 months straight and lost tons of density now im back on using tgel consistently with no scalp itch or dandruff so im at about the same timeline as you two months back on so ill update at 4 months with you bro

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
from what i can remember my hair looked terrible after 3 months and at four months i remember going to the barber (long time friend) he told me my treatments are working and my hair looks thicker... from that point on i really didnt feel like i made anymore hair gains and after 6 months minoxidil irritated the shiet out of my scalp got 24/7 itch and dandruff so i quit for 2 months straight and lost tons of density now im back on using tgel consistently with no scalp itch or dandruff so im at about the same timeline as you two months back on so ill update at 4 months with you bro
thanks man, hope in 2 months we both have good news to report from rogaine!

Sonicblu650

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My losses are slow but steady (~1NW in a little less than three years) so minoxidil could potentially do a lot of good for me. However, I'm still on the fence about trying it. Possibly wait the end of summer and the start of a new work schedule so the temptation to go under the sun is lower.

I've been reading a lot of threads and monitoring the progress of many people on this forum but it's hard to get a definite answer whether minoxidil overall helps or harms your hair and in what proportion. It seems that for the majority of people it either helps or does nothing. There is, however, a potentially sizable minority that seems to have worsened their condition, possibly through pro-inflammatory reactions such as contact dermatitis or allergies, etc.

Here's another small thread that addresses the exact same concern: https://www.hairlosstalk.com/interact/threads/rogaine-mistake-and-rogaine-alternatives.99543/
yeah it is hard to get a definite answer on minoxidil on here for sure !and without pictures you really cant tell. Who knows how much they used or how consistent they were. For me i should probably have held off, but i figured do the big 3. Your just using it on atiny area... Dont worry lol well im a worrier, its what i do. Especially about hair for some reason. I will report back on this thread in a month or so and let you know how its worked for me anyway