I need to start a treatment for the first time, and im scared...

Vlatch

Established Member
Reaction score
Not NW3, that's a NW2.
Start finasteride if you want long term results, good luck !

bram1988

Reaction score
I think it is a very healthy approach to be scared of the sides. Even the Mino ones. That being said, you are my age and you are going bald. This means in 10 years you might not have much hair left, unless you start using Finasteride. I could advice you to go on both mino and fina, because i did it and the side effects are not that common. I was really concerned about it as well, so i think i understand. I would rather advice you to go to a doctor at this point. Ask him in advance if he has any serious knowledge about finasteride and the side effects. See if you feel comfortable using finasteride after you had the talk.

In short: Studies say less than 2% get sides. When getting sides you are still favored like a 100 to 1 to not get permanent sides(can someone confirm these numbers?). That being said, you do read about sides everywhere on the internet. I think it's a little bit more than the 2% study results show. Long term effects are not yet very clear, so that should be a serious consideration (although this would be a serious health scandal if serious side effects occur to the majority of users after 10-20 years of usage. As in one of the biggest health scandals EVER). There are people who say it ruined their life and even reports of suicides as a result of Finasteride side effects have been reported on the internet.

My opinion: it's pretty safe to start Finasteride. There are always some people who have negative side effects from any treatment. But you could be that unlucky guy. At the end of the day i think it has to be well thought through decision with on the one hand, the benefits of maintaining your hair and on the other side the possible devastating effects if it goes wrong.

I myself decided the benefits of maintaining my hair(My self esteem) outweighed the small chances of getting sides. Do know, if you get permanent sides you will regret this decision every day and if you don't get them and you maintain your hair you will probably thank yourself everyday that you did it. It's a trade off.

zzzzz

My Regimen
Reaction score
start finasteride only, nothing else

rogaine is a really bad idea, it does nothing to stop minoxidil longterm, and your pattern of loss will not get much benefits from it

Spanishlad

Established Member
Reaction score
You have been given good advice.. all you should need at this stage is finasteride, try not to worry about sides as they really are rare. Ive been on it for 8 years with no problems what so ever.

Notcoolanymore

Reaction score
What scares you more:

This:
images

or This:
images

Reactions: Raz

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
Guys can someone tell me if you take finasteride and don't get any sides for the first few weeks, should you be okay then to take it for many years?

Can sides randomly appear a year down the line?

eenrak

Established Member
Reaction score
The longer you have gone without sides, the smaller the risk of developing side effects. I have heard some doctors quote that If you don't get sides within the first month, it is already quite unlikely that you will develop sides.

Wolf Pack

My Regimen
Reaction score
The longer you have gone without sides, the smaller the risk of developing side effects. I have heard some doctors quote that If you don't get sides within the first month, it is already quite unlikely that you will develop sides.