I need some advise. Just how bad is my crown, and how much finasteride should I be taking for it?

TimPro9976

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ve been back and forth on this site for 5 years now but my hair always bugs me for weeks on end then I manage to forget about it for a few months. It’s like a bad cycle. I went on meds briefly in 2017 and got off as I was seeing no difference. I’ve taken a few photos , greasy , wet , towel dried and blow dried . I’d appreciate any advice on what I can do ..

Greasy straight from bed:
883D18EA-3C11-41F5-B8A0-6F516D062A98.jpeg
Wet:

E8099C1C-C9DF-4BF7-A4AC-EB733C2E27C7.jpeg
Towel dried:
B6A8E837-A015-470D-81AF-D863D2927229.jpegDE5FEE0E-66B9-4263-8676-ABA68D25C4E4.jpeg
blow dried
C442ED09-948D-434C-982D-0D014A57C15A.jpeg

Last edited:

Eazy12

Established Member
Reaction score
You're balding.
The good news is it's a very slow progression. If I were you i'd start on a very low dose of finasteride. quarter tab every other day for 2 weeks, then quarter tab a day for 2 weeks etc etc. I went full 1mg per day and got very bad ball ache and other sides. By building up slowly I experienced zero sides.
You could also begin minoxidil once per day, the foam version is good because it acts as a hair gel too.
You're in good shape for now tho bro, don't fall down the incel rabbit hole that is this site and Tressless, just hop on the PROVEN meds and forget about it.

TimPro9976

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You're balding.
The good news is it's a very slow progression. If I were you i'd start on a very low dose of finasteride. quarter tab every other day for 2 weeks, then quarter tab a day for 2 weeks etc etc. I went full 1mg per day and got very bad ball ache and other sides. By building up slowly I experienced zero sides.
You could also begin minoxidil once per day, the foam version is good because it acts as a hair gel too.
You're in good shape for now tho bro, don't fall down the incel rabbit hole that is this site and Tressless, just hop on the PROVEN meds and forget about it.
Thanks for the reply. Do you think finasteride will benefit me much at this stage? Is it worth holding out abit longer and seeing how it progresses . I have some threads on here from 5 years ago and my hair is pretty much the same.

TimPro9976

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I’ll check it out, my hairdressers thinks I’ve got a double crown as my hair goes in different directions . I don’t think this helps the thinning at all

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
I would first try topical dutasteride once every 10 days, if it fails once a week, if that fails ED usage and possibly oral finasteride/dutasteride

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
It doesn't look that bad man telling ya

TimPro9976

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
I would first try topical dutasteride once every 10 days, if it fails once a week, if that fails ED usage and possibly oral finasteride/dutasteride
Hi mate, thanks for the reply. Why would you start with oral dutasteride? Will this have much of an effect on my hair? Also what is ED?
I’m getting to the stage now where I feel it would be easier to just pop a pill everyday and see how it goes?

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score
Hi mate, thanks for the reply. Why would you start with oral dutasteride? Will this have much of an effect on my hair? Also what is ED?
I’m getting to the stage now where I feel it would be easier to just pop a pill everyday and see how it goes?
With topical. If it fails switch to oral

sonictemples

My Regimen
Reaction score

TimPro9976

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
My normal dry hair looks fine. It’s just went it gets greasy / wet it looks horrendous. Maybe I should see a derm for some advise ?213BFF75-B441-495D-8814-AADEFC36EE85.jpeg

straitlines

My Regimen
Reaction score
You might just have really fine hair. I don’t see any balding. Perhaps you could share photos of your hairline and temple points.

Do consider consulting a doctor before hopping on meds.

TimPro9976

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
You might just have really fine hair. I don’t see any balding. Perhaps you could share photos of your hairline and temple points.

Do consider consulting a doctor before hopping on meds.
In the most recent picture ?
but in the initial photos I posted it’s quite clear isn’t it?

straitlines

My Regimen
Reaction score
In the most recent picture ?
but in the initial photos I posted it’s quite clear isn’t it?
My crown is rather thin but that’s just the way my hair grows. So yours could be the same.

Wet/greasy hair always looks thinner than it actually is.

Temple points and hairline shots would allow people on here to give a better opinion.

Last edited:

DoctorHouse

Reaction score
I’ve been back and forth on this site for 5 years now but my hair always bugs me for weeks on end then I manage to forget about it for a few months. It’s like a bad cycle. I went on meds briefly in 2017 and got off as I was seeing no difference. I’ve taken a few photos , greasy , wet , towel dried and blow dried . I’d appreciate any advice on what I can do ..

Greasy straight from bed:
View attachment 160720
Wet:

View attachment 160722
Towel dried:
View attachment 160723View attachment 160724
blow dried
View attachment 160725
I agree that it could stay that way for years but that is the very earliest stage of crown balding. If you want to protect what you have now, you should go on finasteride again. If you saw no difference that is actually a good thing. It means you are maintaining. Do you have any photos of your hairline slicked back wet too?

jazz1

Reaction score