I Lost 70k In Crypto Currency Investments

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
I lost 100k or so in the stock and bond market several years back. It was pretty brutal.

How? Poor diversification? Was this during an overall market uptrend or downtrend? Did the assets that you lost money in go back up in price after you presumably sold?

Also no retail investor outside of retirees should be investing in bonds, even for diversification purposes.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Bald or rich? I'll take rich, I'd get more puss. But I'm a good looking guy even bald.

You're right.

Let's face it, how far would Woody Allen have gotten with his daughter if he wasn't rich and famous.

Hopefully his kids with his next wife will come from a sperm donor!

Last edited:

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Downtrend and mild uptrend. Some of it was in a real-estate bond company, recommended by my sibling, that went belly up after a couple of years. The rest was in an inverse financial ETF during the depression. Should not have bet against the Fed.

Assets did not go back up.

A lot of fed bashing is warranted but they weren’t fools by any means and their actions post-GFC and up to this point at least for the short and medium term was hugely beneficial and considered.

No one without financial literacy should play with inverse ETFs or leverage ETFs. And never trust family or friends on investment. I’ve never acted upon it but I have quite a few friends working for large listed companies who often give info on the state of the company and forthcoming news, only in one instance were they even vaguely accurate.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
You're right.

Let's face it, how far would Woody Allen have gotten with his daughter if he wasn't rich and famous.

Hopefully his kids with his next wife will come from a sperm donor!

Woody Allen is cultured and intelligent enough to have hooked a select group of women well above his league in looks, even without his fame.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
I had a dream last night where Litecoin jumped to ~$4,000, and in the dream I felt stupid for having sold it.

It's actually currently worth ~$150, and thus I don't feel stupid.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
Crypto is not gambling

Though I understand your view, I take a different view.

All investments are gambling, including leaving your savings in cash or stockpiling hard assets. There is no escaping the stochastic nature of the broader economy.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Though I understand your view, I take a different view.

All investments are gambling, including leaving your savings in cash or stockpiling hard assets. There is no escaping the stochastic nature of the broader economy.

It is all gambling in the sense that you are calculating through of a variety of means a set of probabilities and then managing risk profile on top of this. You can ocassioanlly have probabilities that are virtually guaranteed to profit however, especially arbitrage situations which are common in crypto.

I have a friend (surprisingly a finance graduate) who has a tendency to get very emotional over investments when they are in negative returns and will often sell at a huge loss. Nothing to do with gambling, if you sell an asset at a loss you are guaranteeing a negative return, unfortunately almost every single one of these assets he sold went back up very quickly and bounced HARD. Bellamys baby formula in particular. Buffett’s mentioned time and time again the biggest inhibitor of good portfolio management for noobs is that they are too influenced by their own emotions in investment decision making.

Also another problem like you mention I see surprisingly often with people who are quite intelligent in general is they don’t understand risk associated with cash, the banking system in general and inflation, thinking they are somehow opting out by leaving savings in an interest account.

Afro_Vacancy

My Regimen
Reaction score
It is all gambling in the sense that you are calculating through of a variety of means a set of probabilities and then managing risk profile on top of this. You can ocassioanlly have probabilities that are virtually guaranteed to profit however, especially arbitrage situations which are common in crypto.

I have a friend (surprisingly a finance graduate) who has a tendency to get very emotional over investments when they are in negative returns and will often sell at a huge loss. Nothing to do with gambling, if you sell an asset at a loss you are guaranteeing a negative return, unfortunately almost every single one of these assets he sold went back up very quickly and bounced HARD. Bellamys baby formula in particular. Buffett’s mentioned time and time again the biggest inhibitor of good portfolio management for noobs is that they are too influenced by their own emotions in investment decision making.

Also another problem like you mention I see surprisingly often with people who are quite intelligent in general is they don’t understand risk associated with cash, the banking system in general and inflation, thinking they are somehow opting out by leaving savings in an interest account.

Good post.

I'll bring up two factors.

1) People ignore inflation in part because it's instinctive and in part because governments lie about the inflation rate. It's acknowledged that in the USA, the government deliberately drove down the inflation rate (using hedonics and substitution) in order to reduce wages and in particular to reduce social security premiums. The CPI in the USA also excludes food and energy, the housing component is spurious.

2) Government interventions are hard to predict. For example, housing has been a better long-term investment than it should otherwise be in part because many governments go out of their way to p'rop up housing prices as much as possible. Mortgage interest is tax deductible in the USA, and housing prices are not allowed to fall for long. A lot of municipalities restrict residential construction in order to maintain the prices of the existing properties, whereas in a free market supply would grow to meet demand. The placement of train stations, roads, and highways is often artificial and influenced by landowners wanting better property prices. And so on. In Australia, tons (TONS) of people own second homes that they rent out as investment properties, in part due to artificial tax structures. This has nothing to do with understanding market fundamentals or whatever, you need a political theory to predict how far the government is willing to go to p'rop up housing prices, or you need luck.

I read a biography on the Hemsleys a while back. They were a NY real estate family associated with 1980s greed excess. If I recall correctly, part of their wealth was derived from buying up properties near where they expected train and subway stations to be built, as those would soon rise in value as they became more convenient.

As for crypto, I sold half it as a loss but this was partly due to a (mis?)-reading of government intentions. I figured that the government was obsessed with breaking down crypto, and they have a lot of potential to do that. Governments in east Asia were making one anti-crypto announcement a week, a slow drip is much more effective at reducing investor confidence than a one-time, blanket ban. They can hire people to hack into crypto networks and exchanges in a clandestine manner, which will also undermine confidence. They can raise taxes on crypto. They can order banks to not allow transfers to crypto exchanges. They have a lot of means at their disposable to pop crypto if they want to, I took it to mean that they did and thus sold out a little. I may have been mistaken, we'll see.

Enough posting for today !

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
Good post.

I'll bring up two factors.

1) People ignore inflation in part because it's instinctive and in part because governments lie about the inflation rate. It's acknowledged that in the USA, the government deliberately drove down the inflation rate (using hedonics and substitution) in order to reduce wages and in particular to reduce social security premiums. The CPI in the USA also excludes food and energy, the housing component is spurious.

2) Government interventions are hard to predict. For example, housing has been a better long-term investment than it should otherwise be in part because many governments go out of their way to p'rop up housing prices as much as possible. Mortgage interest is tax deductible in the USA, and housing prices are not allowed to fall for long. A lot of municipalities restrict residential construction in order to maintain the prices of the existing properties, whereas in a free market supply would grow to meet demand. The placement of train stations, roads, and highways is often artificial and influenced by landowners wanting better property prices. And so on. In Australia, tons (TONS) of people own second homes that they rent out as investment properties, in part due to artificial tax structures. This has nothing to do with understanding market fundamentals or whatever, you need a political theory to predict how far the government is willing to go to p'rop up housing prices, or you need luck.

I read a biography on the Hemsleys a while back. They were a NY real estate family associated with 1980s greed excess. If I recall correctly, part of their wealth was derived from buying up properties near where they expected train and subway stations to be built, as those would soon rise in value as they became more convenient.

As for crypto, I sold half it as a loss but this was partly due to a (mis?)-reading of government intentions. I figured that the government was obsessed with breaking down crypto, and they have a lot of potential to do that. Governments in east Asia were making one anti-crypto announcement a week, a slow drip is much more effective at reducing investor confidence than a one-time, blanket ban. They can hire people to hack into crypto networks and exchanges in a clandestine manner, which will also undermine confidence. They can raise taxes on crypto. They can order banks to not allow transfers to crypto exchanges. They have a lot of means at their disposable to pop crypto if they want to, I took it to mean that they did and thus sold out a little. I may have been mistaken, we'll see.

Enough posting for today !

Agree with all of this, although the tax related issues with housing will benefit me at least in the short term if it continues. Core cpi without energy and food is more useful for monetary policy decisions but horrible at guauging the realistic issue the consumer is dealing with. I’m not sure if it’s just adelaide but I’ve also noticed significant housing price increases in areas that were already more expensive and virtually no growth considering interest rates people are paying and inflation in low income and cheap areas over the past 10 years.

The slow drip is certainly awful for investor confidence in the short term, but I see a genuine desire in most places to let blockchain related endeavors thrive, even in China despite the tough talking rhetoric. Like the initially perceived trump issue with stocks eventually the market sees through noise and if the industry is thriving and in a good place crypto will continue to rise. To be honest at the peak market cap crypto wasn’t all that far away from my medium term target prices though, for the short term it had overshot the mark so I wasn’t worried at all and expected a significant downturn. Admit that at $350 eth it was a big hit to my profits which hurt quite a bit though.

daplo collins

Reaction score
No I did not sell, I'm in this for the long term, and I already have a house/basic needs met so it's not like I need anymore money. I do not trust government printed money , its all fraud. Money is created by centralized banks out of debt.

If you consider crypto gambling, literally everything in life is a gamble.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Woody Allen is cultured and intelligent enough to have hooked a select group of women well above his league in looks, even without his fame.

LOL. Seriously, you are one funny guy, @JeanLucBB

So, if Woody Allen wasn't rich, his adopted daughter would hook up with him? :D:p

Come on, we're talking about Woody Allen.

Let me say this, I don't judge someone for going out with people over thirty years younger.

But your adopted daughter, I don't know. That's a little bit out there.

Let's face it. If Woody Allen is getting PUSSY, we should be having ORGIES with f*****g NINE/TEN CALIBER
WOMEN.

woody-allen.jpg

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
LOL. Seriously, you are one funny guy, @JeanLucBB

So, if Woody Allen wasn't rich, his adopted daughter would hook up with him? :D:p

Come on, we're talking about Woody Allen.

Let me say this, I don't judge someone for going out with people over thirty years younger.

But your adopted daughter, I don't know. That's a little bit out there.

Let's face it. If Woody Allen is getting PUSSY, we should be having ORGIES with f*****g NINE/TEN CALIBER
WOMEN.

View attachment 86823

Old man woody different story but same with all men his age, but when he was younger he definitely wouldn’t have had issues. If you’ve ever hung around artsy, intellectual crowds you’ll see a lot of men who hit well above their weight due to women dating
within their circles and a little less focused on looks. Woody was never ugly either as a younger guy, just lacking in sex appeal.

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
Old man woody different story but same with all men his age, but when he was younger he definitely wouldn’t have had issues. If you’ve ever hung around artsy, intellectual crowds you’ll see a lot of men who hit well above their weight due to women dating
within their circles and a little less focused on looks. Woody was never ugly either as a younger guy, just lacking in sex appeal.

You must be joking with me.

If that's true, I need to move to France. If women get hot for Woody, they'll
definitely think I'm attractive.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
You must be joking with me.

If that's true, I need to move to France. If women get hot for Woody, they'll
definitely think I'm attractive.

If you grew some hair, upped your IQ to his level, became proficient in some creative pursuit and had a broad knowledge of cinema, literary history and were as hilarious as he was, then it would go down well.

You misinterpret desireability as purely being about sex appeal. It’s only mandatory to not be outright ugly to attract attractive women, not have sex appeal or high attractiveness yourself. As long as you have other traits to back it up

rclark

Banned
My Regimen
Reaction score
If you grew some hair, upped your IQ to his level, became proficient in some creative pursuit and had a broad knowledge of cinema, literary history and were as hilarious as he was, then it would go down well.

You misinterpret desireability as purely being about sex appeal.

?

You should date Woody Allen. I truly think you are sexually attracted to him.

It's too bad you're not his adopted son. You could sleep with him then.

What Woody Allen movies have you seen?

You're so full of sh*t. Your really not even the age to see any of his movies.

Now I know you're lying.

JeanLucBB

My Regimen
Reaction score
?

You should date Woody Allen. I truly think you are sexually attracted to him.

It's too bad you're not his adopted son. You could sleep with him then.

What Woody Allen movies have you seen?

You're so full of sh*t. Your really not even the age to see any of his movies.

Now I know you're lying.

Id seen like 10 woody Allen films by the time
I was 13. Always been a fan.

Annie hall, Manhattan, Hannah and her sisters, love and death, crimes and misdemeanors, stardust memories, sleeper, interiors, bananas, blue jasmine, Broadway Danny Rose.

Manhattan is his best, love and death his funniest, and interiors his best homage to somber European cinema and Bergman.

I’m not sexually attracted to him, but I’m glad he fucked his step daughter tbh.

Likewise

Established Member
My Regimen
Reaction score
Yep, but not in crypto. I made my research and ended up opening my own company here - https://www.estonia-cоmpany.ee/company-formation/. We will offer a software development services to our clients and good part about it - i already have a lot of them from my previous freelance job. The risks that something will go wrong are on absolute minimum.

Last edited:

SienJoel

My Regimen
Reaction score
Things have become more complicated with crypto. I see a lot of interesting projects, but I would hardly advise beginners to start right now. But I can always advise to use proven options - https://1xbet.ng/en/ I have used sports betting since I was at university. It still helps me out at a difficult time)