I just saw Dr Keene for 3 month photos

CCS

Reaction score
She says I don't need 90 grafts per cm2 because i don't have that much density anywhere on my head. She says there is a lot of garbage on the net, and that very few people have 100 follicular units per cm2. She says 80 to 100 hairs per cm2 is normal, and that I have 85 in back. She advises that I give my 50 FU/cm2 time to grow out and thicken and that I will probably be happy, though she can bring it up to 60 if I want, which is probably what i have in back.

I checked those numbers. I don't know what the area of all the hair is, but if a half sphere of radius 9 inches is accurate, then that is about 750 cm2, doing it in my head. Also, if the male pattern baldness area is 200 cm2, and the whole head hair area is 4x that (top, two sides, and back), that is 800 cm2. So if a 14 year old has 100,000 hairs, that is 120 hairs per cm2. I read 80 - 100 elsewhere, but I forgot if it is hairs or FU.

Anyway, I don't need 90, just 60 to do the job.

Dr Keene says it is also wise to save donor hair for later, since she says that even on dutasteride I might continue to lose hair. She still thinks it is OK for me to have a low hairline, since I only had a small amount of loss, NW3. She says that there are guys with so much loss that she just can't do as much for them, and has to give them really high hair lines and thinner density since they just don't have enough donor hair.

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
College what is your donor density? Let us know if you are satisfied with 50 cm squared density...also how many months post op are you?

Can you post some clear pics?

CCS

Reaction score
when she looked at my scar, which is 1/3 inch now, she told me not to massage it, because it is still healing. I don't. She did not comment on its presence, and I did not bring it up. She has to know I can see it, since I had my hair very short. Just gave myself a hair cut that looks great. It is nice buzzing my hair short and my hair not looking thinner.

I'm 3 months post op. My current density in the very front is 30 FU per cm2, but they are only 10 months old, and should be 90% matured in another 2 months. The back of my head is 85 hairs per cm2, or about 60 FU/cm2. My goal is to get up to 60 in front. I have 20 below the surface, though some are just starting to sprout. So eventually I'll have 50 in front, unless I get more procedures.

How dense 30 looks depends on your hair and skin color, how long or curly your hair is, how many hairs are in a typical FU on your head, and how course your hair is. It also depends on how many months post op you are. They get as dense as they will get 2 years after surgery.

So my 30 might not look at all like your 30. I saw a picture of an old man who went to Dr Keene and got 30 per cm2, and I looked at his hair, and it was a lot thinner than my 30. My hair is a lot courser than his.

I'll post some pics, but I know a lot of the NW2's are going to be jelous. At least it will show them what transplants can do. I still want to thicken in my front top some more, since from some angles it still seems thinner than other hair. The good news is my runway on top is much harder to find. I need we hair and the right light angle to see it.

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm glad things are working out for you. Sounds like you're on the right track. Let us know how it progresses.

Hey, I think that "old man" you're talking about was me :-x . I guess old is a relative term. I'm certainly older than you (at 50), but I don't consider myself an old man. In today's modern society, what was considered old 50 years ago, is no longer the case. You'll understand when you get older. BTW - at 6'2" tall and fit, I can dunk a basketball (a true test of athleticism). I know 20 year olds my height that can't do that. Anyway, no offense taken at the use of the term. I love embarrass young guys on the basketball court when they get beat by an "old man".

My hair is of a finer caliber that most. I have to say that it is still thickening at the one year point. It's looking better all the time. I am pleased with my results.

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
College your goal should be a thick non-see thru hairline...you would probably need 60 cm squared density in the front for that

Also, how much donor do you have left? Are you planning on saving some for your crown if it goes? Please post some pics

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
College your goal should be a thick non-see thru hairline...you would probably need 60 cm squared density in the front for that

Also, how much donor do you have left? Are you planning on saving some for your crown if it goes? Please post some pics

CCS

Reaction score
since dutasteride is strongest in the back, I would hope that it will maintain the crown, if I'm also using my other stuff. It just so turns out I will have extra donor hair, but I will probably see how far topik gets me and hope for HM before I try filling in the back.

I have used 4000 grafts so far and need another 1050 to get up to 60 everywhere, including where I plan to lower my hairline to. I will need some regrowth to get part of my front top to thicken in, but I just need to increase diameter a little, not actually regrow any hairs, so i think that is doable.

Gorpy,
I'm sure it is easier to slam dunk at 6'2" than at 5'7.5". I can sure grab a lot of net halfway up though and one handedly pull myself up to the rim to put the ball in, if the net can take my weight, and the big ball does not fall out of my small hand.

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
College so u have used over 5000 grafts on the frontal 1/3 of ur scalp or did u add grafts to ur midscalp too? How much donor do u have left?

CCS

Reaction score
for the 10th time, I used 4000 grafts. I will use 1000 more. you can actually read my posts if you want to know how much i have left. Do you enjoy seeing how many long posts I write in response to your one liners?

That is the last response you will get from me and I dont' think I'll post pics. I'll just zoom in on the RU before and after spots and paint over the grafts.

htownballa

Established Member
Reaction score
collegechemistrystudent said:
for the 10th time, I used 4000 grafts. I will use 1000 more. you can actually read my posts if you want to know how much i have left. Do you enjoy seeing how many long posts I write in response to your one liners?

That is the last response you will get from me and I dont' think I'll post pics. I'll just zoom in on the RU before and after spots and paint over the grafts.

Lol , CCS pls calm down...im not trying to torture u :lol:

I asked WHERE you placed the grafts, you already told me how many...I wanted to get a feel for where you placed them, but Im sure you have mentioned it previously in one of your posts so I will check...sorry for being irritating

CCS

Reaction score
htownballa said:
College so u have used over 5000 grafts on the frontal 1/3 of ur scalp or did u add grafts to ur midscalp too? How much donor do u have left?

looks more like how much, to me, but whatever. you search for that while I search for info on how similar SOD capsules are to tri-amino complex. I hope they are the same.

CCS

Reaction score
Oh, I see. No, I did not add any to the mid scalp. just 70 or maybe 80 cm2 in the lowered hairline and temples. Bosley put about 400 in the frontal tuff, which was unnecessary since I still had lots of hair there.

my grafts are all below the NW3 area. none behid it, except the 400 bosley wasted. It probably was closer to 250. I just remember seeing scabs in there. The bosley doctor said all that hair would die soon, but he was wrong. it would have had i not got on finasteride.

Gorpy

Established Member
Reaction score
Gorpy,
I'm sure it is easier to slam dunk at 6'2" than at 5'7.5". I can sure grab a lot of net halfway up though and one handedly pull myself up to the rim to put the ball in, if the net can take my weight, and the big ball does not fall out of my small hand.

It's definitely easier at 6'2", but still quite leap. Like I said, I know many 20 somethings the same height that cannot do it. :D

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
one thing to understand about grafts per/cm2 is that it all means nothing in the grand scheme of things. There are so many individual characterisitcs involved. 50, 60 or 75 on one person may look thi and 50 , 60 0r 75 may be dense on someone else.

I really hope newbies dont get hooked on the number as some of these clinics use in their marketing scheme b/c the bottom line is you can lose up to 50% of you original density before you even look like the appearance of thinning. Also, if you have 80-100 in your donor it doesnt mean that the rest of your head is of that density. Density varies from region to region. Save you money CCS. If you get more grafts and progress to a NW6 or 7 you will be chasing it for the rest of you life and look like a freak. You are too young to be having multiple surgeries. male pattern baldness is PROGRESSIVE and thats a fact. Stay on the meds and see where you end up in a few yrs.

CCS

Reaction score
thanks for your good intentions, but I will bring my sides in another 1cm and lower the corners 5mm and the center 1mm, and raise my density. I'm very confident I can keep my hair at this density or higher until I am 80, if I don't get hit by a bus. Getting dates depends in part on my fixing my hairline, and I recently realized just how bad my temples look, even though I thought the first line I drew was ideal when I asked dr keene to put it there and she disagreed but did it anyway. I'm sure she will approve of where I want to put it now.

But I do agree that individual hair characteristics vary greatly, and that seeing what my 30 grafts per cm2 look like would not help anyone, especially since they have not grown it all the way. I've seen many transplant pics on here, and none of them surprise me, so if you really want to know what hair transplant looks like, just look at them. I also must say that most of the people being shown off on hair transplant sights have more than 30, and my hair looks decent from far away too. It is when I get up nearer the mirror that I really don't like it.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
thanks for your good intentions, but I will bring my sides in another 1cm and lower the corners 5mm and the center 1mm, and raise my density. I'm very confident I can keep my hair at this density or higher until I am 80, if I don't get hit by a bus. Getting dates depends in part on my fixing my hairline, and I recently realized just how bad my temples look, even though I thought the first line I drew was ideal when I asked dr keene to put it there and she disagreed but did it anyway. I'm sure she will approve of where I want to put it now.

But I do agree that individual hair characteristics vary greatly, and that seeing what my 30 grafts per cm2 look like would not help anyone, especially since they have not grown it all the way. I've seen many transplant pics on here, and none of them surprise me, so if you really want to know what hair transplant looks like, just look at them. I also must say that most of the people being shown off on hair transplant sights have more than 30, and my hair looks decent from far away too. It is when I get up nearer the mirror that I really don't like it.

Just remember your donor region is a FINITE resourse and if not used wisely you will pay! Probably for a repair job like alot of other guys who did so. Many of the guys on the forums now that had their hair transplants done by via megasessions and ultra dense packing up in the top 1/3 region will possibly look freaky in 10-20 yrs. Keep that in mind.

I really wish I could look at your photos to see what you are referring to. Thats what these forums are all about .....sharing the experiences. I will post mine in 2 months and 6 post op. I am very interested in beefing up my right temple point and beefing up the hairline which is planted at 50 g/cm2 and starting to pop out of the skin (HOW EXCITING!!!)
So when you gonna post your pics? Really, what's holding you back?

Also, how do you plan to hold on to your hair until 80? Whats your current reggie?

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Oh, I see. No, I did not add any to the mid scalp. just 70 or maybe 80 cm2 in the lowered hairline and temples. Bosley put about 400 in the frontal tuff, which was unnecessary since I still had lots of hair there.

DID YOU SUFFER SHOCK LOSS? I am currently taking 1500 mg LYSINE to combat that, along with 3000 MSM, biotin spray from Dr COLE.

my grafts are all below the NW3 area. none behid it, except the 400 bosley wasted. It probably was closer to 250. I just remember seeing scabs in there. The bosley doctor said all that hair would die soon, but he was wrong. it would have had i not got on finasteride.

CCS

Reaction score
LookingGood! said:

DID YOU SUFFER SHOCK LOSS? I am currently taking 1500 mg LYSINE to combat that, along with 3000 MSM, biotin spray from Dr COLE.

for the record, that second paragraph is me quoting someone else.

LookingGood!

Experienced Member
Reaction score
LookingGood! said:

for the record, that second paragraph is me quoting someone else.

SO HOW COME YOU WONT RESPOND TO THE QUESTION? you keep grandstanding. I question your manhood now.