I hate my appearance, help

O'rly?

Reaction score
I started to thin when I was 19, now at 22 after 3 years of trying the big guns (minoxidil, generic propecia, nizoral and all kinds of other stuff) my hair has receded and thinned dramatically and it looks like I'll be completely bald by the time I am 25.

I really hate my appearance. I was always an average looking guy even when I had a full head of hair, but having a nice head of hair really adds to a persons appearance.

I have a chubby face, big head, big nose and big ears that stick out which weren't noticeable when I had longer hair. Now that I have to keep my hair short, the look doesn't suit me at all. I really do look like an ugly bastard with short thinning hair. I just hate my appearance. I actually look more like a 32 year old than a 22 year old. I hate looking at my face in the mirror or recent pictures of myself as I look like Shrek. Sometimes I feel like getting plastic surgery on my nose and ears as it would greatly improve my appearance. I could actually afford it but its how the people I know would react, especially my family and friends, if I got surgery.

Needless to say, I have had no luck with women in the last two years. Women just don't notice me.

Hans Gruber

Reaction score
firstly ,a decent woman will take a decent man with a personality over a good looking dickhead anyday.

secondly,no matter how ugly you think you are,you arent......you are bound to over analyse and make the problem seem bigger.

thirdly,if you wanna get surgery on any part of you and you truly think itll improve your appearance then go for it,you shoudlnt give a damn what others think,if it makes YOU feel better then go for it.....i dunno if youve seen 'ten years younger' on channel 4 in the uk but the transformations are HUGE......any surgery is a big decision but if you feel its right for you then dont let anyone else's opinions affect your choice

plus if ya really concerned about your hair,look into a hair transplant,but research a lot,and make sure youre a good candidate,and maybe try dutasteride if Propecia/nizoral/min doesnt do anything :hairy:

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
O'rly? said:
I started to thin when I was 19, now at 22 after 3 years of trying the big guns (minoxidil, generic propecia, nizoral and all kinds of other stuff) my hair has receded and thinned dramatically and it looks like I'll be completely bald by the time I am 25.

I really hate my appearance. I was always an average looking guy even when I had a full head of hair, but having a nice head of hair really adds to a persons appearance.

I have a chubby face, big head, big nose and big ears that stick out which weren't noticeable when I had longer hair. Now that I have to keep my hair short, the look doesn't suit me at all. I really do look like an ugly bastard with short thinning hair. I just hate my appearance. I actually look more like a 32 year old than a 22 year old. I hate looking at my face in the mirror or recent pictures of myself as I look like Shrek. Sometimes I feel like getting plastic surgery on my nose and ears as it would greatly improve my appearance. I could actually afford it but its how the people I know would react, especially my family and friends, if I got surgery.

Needless to say, I have had no luck with women in the last two years. Women just don't notice me.

You sound like you've got body dismorphic disorder. Sure, there's problem some basis behind your thoughts, but you probably obsess about it. You might want to see a shrink about it if it interferes with your life (ie you don't go out, don't work, etc)

UK1

Experienced Member
Reaction score
O'rly? said:

Try not to worry too much.. the stress will cause more damage to your hair and skin.. if you can afford plastic surgery then you are probably only a couple/ few years away from being able to get a satisfactory hair transplant. Shave your head and swallow the fact that there's not much you can do right now other than keep yourself healthy and in good shape.

G

Damn, that really hurts . I know what I am talking about since I am also very ugly. When I was younger other children used to call me "Neanderthal" because they said that I look like a caveman. One can imagine what damage had been done to the sensitive soul of a 13 year old. My ugliness is probably the main reason why I am still a virgin at the age of 24. Yeah, it is true I am not joking, the only girlfriend of my life I had in kindergarten at the age of 6. That´s my life. The ugly part of myself is the lower part of my face, the right side is very broad while the left one is narrow. I looked like a freak even before hair loss. Just when I started to accept my ugliness I realized that I was losing hair. That was a huge slap into the face. I jumped on Finasteride immediately, but since then my hair is getting thinner and thinner. It is thinner than thin (is there an English word for that?).

Sorry, for hijacking your thread, you were obviously asking for help. So, here are my questions: How long did you take treatments? You know that one has to be patient when treating hairloss. It often takes a long time to see results. I know out of experience how hard this waiting is.
Did you already try Avodart? Jayman and Aplunk1 have had great success with it.
I am just trying to tell you: Don´t give up yet, there are always solutions for your problems, in your case this may be plastic surgery or hair transplants.

Good Luck!

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
Damn, that really hurts . I know what I am talking about since I am also very ugly. When I was younger other children used to call me "Neanderthal" because they said that I look like a caveman. One can imagine what damage had been done to the sensitive soul of a 13 year old. My ugliness is probably the main reason why I am still a virgin at the age of 24. Yeah, it is true I am not joking, the only girlfriend of my life I had in kindergarten at the age of 6. That´s my life. The ugly part of myself is the lower part of my face, the right side is very broad while the left one is narrow. I looked like a freak even before hair loss. Just when I started to accept my ugliness I realized that I was losing hair. That was a huge slap into the face. I jumped on Finasteride immediately, but since then my hair is getting thinner and thinner. It is thinner than thin (is there an English word for that?).

Sorry, for hijacking your thread, you were obviously asking for help. So, here are my questions: How long did you take treatments? You know that one has to be patient when treating hairloss. It often takes a long time to see results. I know out of experience how hard this waiting is.
Did you already try Avodart? Jayman and Aplunk1 have had great success with it.
I am just trying to tell you: Don´t give up yet, there are always solutions for your problems, in your case this may be plastic surgery or hair transplants.

Good Luck!

Man, if I had a normal human's hairline, I'd probably be of model good looks. When I wear hats, I used to constantly get commented on how nicely my face is shaped, how nice my eyes look, my smile, etc.... When I was in college, people jsut told me to shut up, wear your hat, and let the women come to you (they rarely did that though)... I really hope I can have BHT so can have a normal forehead one day..

I've done tests by showing pics with my forehead exposed in all it's glory, and photos with me with a hathead, so the hair can cover my forehead, and I get tons of responses like "you're so freaking hot" when my forehead is blocked, and then zilcho with my normal hair..... sucks. Too bad I can't do that in normal life because with the hathead you can see the plugs and it's very limp and the wind would easily blow it all over the place..

O'rly?

Reaction score
Thanks for replying guys.

I suppose I am not as ugly as I believe I am but I am far from a male model. At 22, I look like a cross between Ruud Van Nistlerooy and Michael Stipe from REM as he is now, but with a bit of hair.

Whenever I go out with friends to a club I just dont even try with women any more because I've been rejected for years now that it seems so natural that I go home alone. I can't see this every changing tbh.

I've been on generic propecia for I guess two years now, and minoxidil for at least three years. I decided I wont take avodart as no one truly knows the long term effects on the body.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
O'rly? said:
Thanks for replying guys.

I suppose I am not as ugly as I believe I am but I am far from a male model. At 22, I look like a cross between Ruud Van Nistlerooy and Michael Stipe from REM as he is now, but with a bit of hair.

Whenever I go out with friends to a club I just dont even try with women any more because I've been rejected for years now that it seems so natural that I go home alone. I can't see this every changing tbh.

I've been on generic propecia for I guess two years now, and minoxidil for at least three years. I decided I wont take avodart as no one truly knows the long term effects on the body.

Dude, you ahve to have some serious, serious game to pick women up at clubs. I woudln't even bother. It's hard enough even at a friendly bar, like an Irish pub or something. A club, it's hopeless unless you're really slick, and dress really well. Amazing because I don't even know how chicks can even hear what you say. I have bad hearing so I can't even go to clubs for that reason. I would never be able to hear anything said there.

JayBear

Established Member
Reaction score
askas said:
I would suggest my sister to change her nose, but I don't, what if operation goes amiss? I'll be accused. And she has a steady boy, though what do you think, should I say one day? :hairy:

no

powersam

Reaction score
why does he have to have BDD? maybe he just actually is ugly.

G

ya lol, not everyone who thinks he is ugly has bdd. maybe they are just ugly???

G

I once thought I had BDD until I realized that I am ugly indeed.... Now I at least want to keep my hair.

recboi

Experienced Member
Reaction score
Taugenichts said:
I once thought I had BDD until I realized that I am ugly indeed.... Now I at least want to keep my hair.

any way we can see a pic? I guess the true test of whether you're ugly or not is if you get hit on by gay guys. have you?

G

recboi said:
Taugenichts said:

any way we can see a pic? I guess the true test of whether you're ugly or not is if you get hit on by gay guys. have you?

how is this a true test? are you saying that gay guys have lower standards?

G

recboi said:
Taugenichts said:

BDD = Body Dysmorphobic Disorder, thinking of being ugly while you are in fact good looking.

I am scared of posting a pic since I am so ugly. I don´t want people to see me in all my "glory". I once posted pics at hot or not and got really terrible ratings. Since that day I know that I am ugly indeed. But maybe I am gonna post one in the future, who knows.....

powersam

Reaction score
just read a very interesting article that found that women are far less interested in physical appearance than men are. not really shocking news though hey. but for the fuglies its great news. the evidence is there though, look at marilyn monroe and arthur miller. he was neither rich nor pretty.

G

You may be right, but the problem is that I don´t have any confidence either so why should a pretty girl be interested in me? I am a Loser.

powersam

Reaction score
apparently the only difference between confident people and those who lack confidence is that the confident ones remember their success' and forget their failures while the others do the opposite. start thinking about your success' and good points.